Your Email Address:

First Name:

Bacterial collection on top of Soft Palate

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Larc400
God

Bacterial collection on top of Soft Palate

Post by Larc400 »

So, check this image:

When my bb is bad, I definitely feel a collection of something on top of the soft palate. Maybe that's a worse growing ground for bacteria than the tongue (I have strong nasal stench).

Maybe, when swallowing, some food is trapped upwards, if the soft palate does not close properly.

The problem is, I can't reach it. And irrigation doesn't get rid of it.

From Wiki:

Soft Palate

Function:

It is movable, consisting of muscle fibers sheathed in mucous membrane, and is responsible for closing off the nasal passages during the act of swallowing.

The soft palate's motion during breathing is responsible for the sound of snoring. Touching the soft palate evokes a strong gag reflex in most people.

The soft palate retracts and elevates during speech to separate the oral cavity (mouth) from the nasal cavity in order to produce the oral speech sounds. If this separation is incomplete, air escapes through the nose, causing the speech to be perceived as hypernasal.
Last edited by Larc400 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

perrymason
Advanced

Post by perrymason »

Picture isn't working

I have a terrible nasal stench also, and I believe it might be starting off @ the soft palate. I always feel I have GOBS of mucus stuck there, and something that i just can't get out.

Interesting :p
04paynem

Post by 04paynem »

pervy19 wrote:Picture isn't working

I have a terrible nasal stench also, and I believe it might be starting off @ the soft palate. I always feel I have GOBS of mucus stuck there, and something that i just can't get out.

Interesting :p
picture works.

rick click image, click view image, reload page that appears.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Here's the link to the article on swallowing...

http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/rattler/46/upali4.htm

So normally the soft palate should close. For some, it doesn't.

The only way I can think of cleaning that area is by doing the 'condom trick' like this emo chick is doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIt63LwjiQ8

I've never tried it though. Anyone?

...normal salt water irrigation doesn't really help that much back there, sadly :oops:
perrymason
Advanced

Post by perrymason »

TBH, Larc, I would go right ahead and do that if it successfully cleaned the area.

Condom through nose is no big deal if it can help treat BB :D
perrymason
Advanced

Post by perrymason »

I do stage 2 nasal irrigation but it still doesn't clear it much. I'm 1000000000000 % positive that my soft palate is the reason for my nose stench. (well, could be an infection)

Larc, let's think of ways to clean that fugger up
GoodLuck!

Post by GoodLuck! »

really interesting. I`ve always felt that area is the primary source.

At certain times i could actually feel it.

I confronted my ENT with this tho, and he checked the area, and found nothing. This was indeed interesting because at the time he also rated my breath smelling 0 from 0-10. What would be interesting is if it was possible to get a "smell test" when i actually do feel like there is something there.

The feeling i get is like that area "weights a little more", or like there is a soft pressure coming from above.
OneDay111
Sheriff

Post by OneDay111 »

YESS,

I always have to make that KKHHHHH noise.

Is that the place? #-o
One Day One Day....
sharon
Junior

Post by sharon »

elliott
God

Post by elliott »

I think this is KEY.

It seems that this is the source of my BB, that stuff that lies deep in the throat. Whenever I swallow, I can smell the gas from my throat thru my nose.

This also seems to be an area that doctors can't see to make any judgement on. When I mention this to doctors, they go silent.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

ENTs should be able to see this area when they examine with their little camera, but they do it so quickly. Basically what they see is probably just a collection of mucus, and advice us to flush it with saline rinse. I would like a better way to clean up there, but the gag reflex makes it difficult :oops:
nobody
Total Newbie

Post by nobody »

I have the same exact problem. It has gotten worse after having tonsillectomy, but I have always had it to some extent. Now that I no longer have my tonsils supporting the soft palate, it hangs considerably lower than before, making more room for stuff to collect on top of it.

By the way, does anybody know if this problem could have been caused or exacerbated by having been NG tube-fed?
sharon
Junior

Post by sharon »

oh really? So having tonsils out is not something that "you have nothing to lose", and you breath gets worse? I'm very eager to know, cuz I put all my hope on this sergery. look forward to your reply, thanks!
nobody wrote:I have the same exact problem. It has gotten worse after having tonsillectomy, but I have always had it to some extent. Now that I no longer have my tonsils supporting the soft palate, it hangs considerably lower than before, making more room for stuff to collect on top of it.

By the way, does anybody know if this problem could have been caused or exacerbated by having been NG tube-fed?
nobody
Total Newbie

Post by nobody »

sharon wrote:oh really? So having tonsils out is not something that "you have nothing to lose", and you breath gets worse? I'm very eager to know, cuz I put all my hope on this sergery. look forward to your reply, thanks!
I don't think there is anything to worry about, as I have never heard of this happening to anyone else after a tonsillectomy. Although this problem has gotten worse for me, it still doesn't come anywhere close to negating the positive effects that tonsillectomy had on my breath.

I honestly don't think you have anything to lose by getting your tonsils out – if nothing else, at least it makes one less place for bacteria to hide.
jamesmcavoy

Re: Bacterial collection on top of Soft Palate

Post by jamesmcavoy »

For type 1 bb , if any harsh and skin corroding chemical is used (like zncl2) then your soft palate gets colonised with tongue bb bacteria and impossible to cure .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic