Your Email Address:

First Name:

Bismuth manages my bb

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Snobuni wrote:I went to see a nurse during the week about something not connected to my bb. She was only sitting a few feet away from me and she didn't seem to react (she rubbed her nose once, but that could mean anything!).

I'm trying to go more on how my mouth tastes and smells to me, its really difficult to know yourself though (and my boyfriend has never been able to smell my bb so I can't ask him).

I suppose when I stop next week I'll know they've been helping if my bb suddenly starts to smell alot worse.
I think it's not that hard for me. My breath ALWAYS stinks. I can tell if it's worse, but once I think it's better, I'm quickly reminded it's not.

Some people actually don't react. It's just in their personality. I know when I smell BB I don't make a scene about it like some others do.

At my job we had a mandatory harassment meeting, and some of it was about how you treat your co-workers. Afterwards, and so far this year, people have been trying to subdue their reactions. There was one spot in the demonstration about a guy with a mental problem and everyone teased him about it, and he commented that he wish everyone would stop, as he could do nothing about it. If he could he would. It reminded me of myself, and I think some of my co-workers possibly took it to heart. The few people who really try to make me feel bad, sort of stopped, at least so far.

Ooopps that is a derail!

Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Elliot, i don't think people control their reactions. Either your breath improved or they've gotten used to your bb.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

Eliott

I also think people don`t control their reactions, the smell of bb is so abnoxious that it`s hard to stand it. There are only a few people that do not react to me and they are the ones that are really close friends or family.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Well they kinda don't step as close to me, and they move extremely fast to get out my way. If they MUST speak to me, they step back quickly before I can open my mouth. It's funny and pathetic at the same time. I think people do try to control their reactions. Sorry, I know they do. A girl tries to cover her nose by cupping her hand over it, and as soon as I look at her now, she stops. After awhile it is possible to realize that you are hurting someone's feelings.

I do believe after awhile people get used to it too. Again, everyone is different. You can't generalize and say that someone doesn't do something in particular.
Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

This seems to be working for me somewhat. I don't seem to be getting the bad smell from my tonsils so much now. I still have to floss regularly as the food between my teeth starts to smell if I don't keep on top of it but apart from that it looks promising. Does anybody know if there is a generic form of pepto bismol that I can buy in England?
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

This cuts my breath where I get little to no reactions. Been doing it for 3 solid months. On a day Where I don't use aspirin topically in the mouth, and a chewable bismuth --My mouth is disgusting and reactions are obvious.

Searching, thanks again. Have you continued as well, any new ideas or methods to balance your oral ph?

Anyone else? I urge everyone to try!!full routine here:
viewtopic.php?t=5492&highlight=
searching
Master
Post by searching »

mindyb wrote:This cuts my breath where I get little to no reactions. Been doing it for 3 solid months. On a day Where I don't use aspirin topically in the mouth, and a chewable bismuth --My mouth is disgusting and reactions are obvious.

Searching, have you continued as well, any new ideas or methods to balance your oral ph?
mindyb,

I'm currently managing BB by limiting carbohydrate intake to a low-level, detailed elsewhere in this forum.

I've therefore reduced the use of ingesting bismuth and/or using momentary, low-pH, oral treatment, i.e. aspirin; however, if I return to eating excessive amounts of carbohydrate, my BB reappears. and is then managed with bismuth and/or brushing with low pH material.

For me, eating protein and low-starch vegetables, while limiting carbohydrates, has been beneficial.
Anita
Total Newbie

Post by Anita »

What to do when you are allergic to acetylsalicylic acid ???
:(
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Anita wrote:What to do when you are allergic to acetylsalicylic acid ?
You can search for orally-ingested bismuth available in different forms.

As it moves through the digestive tract, bismuth medication, i.e. subsalicylate form (Pepto-Bismol™) taken for stomach upset, or subgallate form (Devrom™) taken for odor reduction of ostomy patients, chemically-sorbs sulfur from odorous VSCs, becomes bismuth sulfide, and is eliminated in solid waste, referenced here and here.

This may help in reducing VSC's, e.g. hydrogen sulfide, dimethyl sulfide, methyl mercaptan, from accumulating in the bloodstream and exiting in the breath via lungs or saliva.

Please check with your medical professional before using these medications.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Searching, out of injested Bismuth and the diet you've described, which method would you say works best for you overall? (Assuming both methods are targeting the same underlying cause of your BB).

Do you get any further improvement when you use both methods at the same time? Sorry if you've already described this in past descriptions.

Also, are you normally able to detect any odour in either your saliva, mucus or exhaled air, and if so, do you notice a consistent reduction with either of your methods?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

halitosisux wrote:of injested Bismuth and the diet you've described, which method would you say works best for you overall?
Taking bismuth orally, i.e. either swallowing whole, or chewing then swallowing, works best, for me, to limit BB. However, I believe the root cause of my BB comes from excessive carbohydrates in my diet. It may be that bismuth treats the symptoms, i.e. sorbs VOC’s from anaerobic activity feeding on excess nutrients; and, low carbohydrate intake treats the cause by limiting microbial activity.
halitosisux wrote:Do you get any further improvement when you use both methods at the same time?
There seems to be a slight improvement using bismuth along with reduced carbohydrate intake.
halitosisux wrote:are you normally able to detect any odour in either your saliva, mucus or exhaled air, and if so, do you notice a consistent reduction with either of your methods?
I sense no odor in saliva, nor mucus. There is normal morning breath; however, it is now mitigated by using ordinary toothpaste. I occasionally, brush with aspirin or gargle with diluted white vinegar, i.e. a momentary, low-pH strike, to strip my mouth of accumulating biofilm. There is a consistent reduction in BB with either method, i.e. bismuth use or limiting carbohydrate intake.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks searching.
Can you normally detect odour in your secretions (saliva/mucus) when you don't use any of your methods? (except for the direct 'strikes' against your oral bacteria which are bound to eliminate odour, even if only temporarily).
searching
Master
Post by searching »

halitosisux wrote:Can you normally detect odour in your secretions (saliva/mucus) when you don't use any of your methods?
I cannot detect odor in saliva nor mucus.

I resort to the low-pH treatment when I feel a biofilm accumulation on teeth that brushing with ordinary toothpaste, cannot fully remove.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Thanks again searching.

Perfect proof that bad breath is not just about the VSCs produced in the mouth, nose or throat.

Hope you continue to make good progress.
Mac
Junior

Post by Mac »

I think this thread should be stickied. Pepto Bismol has worked wonders for me. Taking one after breakfast and one last thing at night plus flossing everyday has been a big improvement. No smell from the tonsils anymore and no bad taste at the back of the throat. I'm starting to get more confidence when talking to people. Seems it's working for others aswell.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic