Your Email Address:

First Name:

Doctors refuse to do tonsillectomy on me. Help!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
sharon
Junior

Doctors refuse to do tonsillectomy on me. Help!

Post by sharon »

I know I may have other problems other than tonsil, like deviated septum, acid reflux, maybe candida, or hernia... But I have 100% evidence my left tonsil stinks, which is so strong which ruined all me. Other problems I can control by dieting, candida drugs, nasal sprays, but this tonsil problem is out of my contral!!!! I need help, but all of the ENT doctors I had visited in the past one year refused to see any problem on my tonsil. They all told me my tonsils are very small, and I have hardly any adenoids. I want to know, DOES SMALL TONSILS GUARANTEE THEY ARE NOT ILL??? I can't believe this, I'm furious. Can any body help me how to persuade a doctor to give me a tonsillectomy? or recommend me a sympathetic doctor in NYC? My health insurance is going to expire since I lost my current employment, I desperately need this surgery to be done asap.

Thank you!

jane
tonsillectomy refusal

Post by jane »

okay, they said the same thing a/b my tonsils - and mind you, my problem hasnt gone away completely as i need my LINGUAL tonsils removed rather than palatine, but the surgery has helped a deal w/ my pnd- but i lied about the # of infections i get yearly. say NOTHING about the tonsil stones! yeah i suppose you can express a little concern a/b them
but if you do mention it, play dumb like you have no idea what they are and let the doctor elaborate on them.

go to ny eye and ear infirmary. its like mc. donalds. its a walk- in clinic and these ppl only hear key words when you're talking to them. go at about 8:30am to get the registration outta the way faster, then go have lunch somewhere until 1 which is when they start seeing patients (mornings are for surgery). and youre gonna love me for telling you this because it gets crowded and its as uncomfortable as a train ride during rush hour.

they may look inside your throat- which will excite you if you have stones down there- but they most likely "wont see anything" even though theres all sorts of shit stuck up in there in my case anyway. you will be seen for 10 minutes tops so make sure your story's tight before you see the doc. i'll be surprised if they dont okay it. oh, and if by the time you get the appt. for surgey and you dont have insurance, they are very accomodating when it comes to that. if you are eligible for medicaid you can apply for it there and even if its pending, you can still have the surgey done. there is also some other program where they cover the cost of your surgery but i forgot under which circumstances. i was in the same boat with the insurance but they really do help you in that dept.

good luck!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Try to resist the urge to have tonsils out because unless your tonsils are CLEARLY infected and not just smelling bad, it is the general concensus now with BB sufferers that their association with BB is like that of the tongue - a symptom of something else rather than a direct cause of BB. Therefore having them out may stop the production of tonsils stones and give the impression your breath has improved as a result, but because its not the underlying cause, their extraction is futile, the odour on your tongue will not change and your BB will remain as strong as ever.
Nasal problems and/or dental issues will both produce foul chemicals that will reach your tongue and fill your tonsil crypts, leading to the formation of tonsil stones and tongue "plaque".
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

sharon, i had a lower-right tooth which turned out to be the cause of my BB. But when i had my tonsillectomy i didnt realise this tooth was my cause, but at the time it was my right tonsil which smelled the worst and produced the most stones. My left side hardly had any symptoms at all, yet it was just as crypted as the right.
I also have a deviated septum which made my right side more congested than my left, and i also have odourless colourless PND. So it could have been because of this, but i think it was my tooth/gum and it's constant discharge of fetid material, which everytime i swallowed would tend to concentrate on my right side, leading to the buildup of odour and stones inside my right tonsil.
sharon
Junior

Re: tonsillectomy refusal

Post by sharon »

Thank you very much for the information! Jane.
Fortunately today the doctor agreed to perform the tonsillectomy:)
jane wrote:okay, they said the same thing a/b my tonsils - and mind you, my problem hasnt gone away completely as i need my LINGUAL tonsils removed rather than palatine, but the surgery has helped a deal w/ my pnd- but i lied about the # of infections i get yearly. say NOTHING about the tonsil stones! yeah i suppose you can express a little concern a/b them
but if you do mention it, play dumb like you have no idea what they are and let the doctor elaborate on them.

go to ny eye and ear infirmary. its like mc. donalds. its a walk- in clinic and these ppl only hear key words when you're talking to them. go at about 8:30am to get the registration outta the way faster, then go have lunch somewhere until 1 which is when they start seeing patients (mornings are for surgery). and youre gonna love me for telling you this because it gets crowded and its as uncomfortable as a train ride during rush hour.

they may look inside your throat- which will excite you if you have stones down there- but they most likely "wont see anything" even though theres all sorts of shit stuck up in there in my case anyway. you will be seen for 10 minutes tops so make sure your story's tight before you see the doc. i'll be surprised if they dont okay it. oh, and if by the time you get the appt. for surgey and you dont have insurance, they are very accomodating when it comes to that. if you are eligible for medicaid you can apply for it there and even if its pending, you can still have the surgey done. there is also some other program where they cover the cost of your surgery but i forgot under which circumstances. i was in the same boat with the insurance but they really do help you in that dept.

good luck!
sharon
Junior

Post by sharon »

Thank you very much for this information, hatitosisux!
I think what you said make great sense. I will try to have a dental check first before making appointment for the surgery.
I've not been to a dentist for a long time, can you give me any tips on how to make sure the bad tooth will be discovered? Can I discover this by myself? should I remind the dentist to be very careful? because I will have to make the surgery decision in no time.
Thans a lot!
halitosisux wrote:sharon, i had a lower-right tooth which turned out to be the cause of my BB. But when i had my tonsillectomy i didnt realise this tooth was my cause, but at the time it was my right tonsil which smelled the worst and produced the most stones. My left side hardly had any symptoms at all, yet it was just as crypted as the right.
I also have a deviated septum which made my right side more congested than my left, and i also have odourless colourless PND. So it could have been because of this, but i think it was my tooth/gum and it's constant discharge of fetid material, which everytime i swallowed would tend to concentrate on my right side, leading to the buildup of odour and stones inside my right tonsil.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

sharon, make a very careful self-examination of your teeth. Obvious signs of decay, cracks, worn out fillings/crowns etc, discolorations, deformations or anything you might suspect. Look for any signs of gum inflammation, probe them very carefully with your fingers where they connect with your teeth to check for any foul discharge because that's all takes to turn your mouth into a sewer. Make a note of everything and speak to your dentist about anything you find. Tell them about your bad breath and let them use whatever experience they have. If you are not feeling convinced then try another dentist until you are.
Good luck.
hello
Junior

Post by hello »

hey halitosisux...ur information seems very valuable...and i really appreciate you sticking to the forum and helping people. I got my 2 bottom wisdom tooth out in early February...I dunno how much it has improved my bb...the hole is still open a little bit...but I have also started to use electric toothbrush and waterpik and my bb seems to have improved. I also recently went to a periodontis for consultation, and asked him about my gum pockets, he told me most of em were around 3mm in size and maybe a 4 or 5mm here and there. And he told me there is nothign wrong with my gums other than mild gingivitis. I was wondering what size are normal gum pockets, as from research into couple of sites I read 3mm are normal. Anyways I realized later on to ask him which pockets were 4 to 5mm long so I can try to better take care of those part of my gums.

Plus I also get coloured PND sometimes when I wake up in the morning, and believe me ginger helps get rid of it nicely...the other day I smoked a cigarette( I do not smoke btw) and when I woke up the next day, I had quite a bit of green PND...(Im talking of PND as you know when you do that kkhhh thing in the back of your throat and try to spit it out). and that green/yellowish PND tastes bad but I dont know if it smells bad also.
Oh and ginger also helps stools too. If you have very soft(almost diarreha liek stools) try ginger to see if it helps make ur stools more firm and smooth.

By the way, I also have deviated septum. I was wondering if you got your deviated septum fixed.

(btw Jimmi, I was wondering if posters start using 'bad breath' in their posts instead of 'bb' would that effect the sites availability criteria when people search for bad breath?..if you know what I'm trying to say)
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

hello hello,
yvw and ty, im so glad if i can help anyone out of this curse.
If your dentist says you have mild gingivitis then keep focusing on that. Great idea to use an irrigator on it, could it even be worth doing that DNA test mentioned in another thread to check for the presense of certain bacteria which are associated with periodontal disease?
Have you seen your doctor or an ENT about your PND? Do you often get green PND? Its not normal to have green PND, except when you know the reason, such as a cold.
Thanks for the ginger advice, i've always had and still do have quite a lot of clear thick odourless PND, i might give it a try. I try to eat lots of fruit and veg even though i hate it, but it keeps my digestion in order mostly.
Never had my deviated septum corrected, because thankfully i dont think it gives me any problem with my sinuses, but i dont think it takes a lot for a deviated septup to do so. Anyone who suspects that to be the case should look into it as a possibility.

I was reading someting interesting this morning if anyone wants to give it a try, if it can cut down on the amount of bacteria in the gut, if that has any effect:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7981095.stm
OneDay111
Sheriff

Post by OneDay111 »

I found a useful way of checking wether it is coming from your tonsils.

Remember you have to have a strong gag reflex.

Stick your finger down the back of your tongue take it out.. let it dry smell it..

Now do the same and press down on your tonsils.. all over..

Smell it now compare.

My tongue doesnt smell but my tonsils do. thnx 2 TUNG brush
One Day One Day....
LadyJay718
Total Newbie

Re: tonsillectomy refusal

Post by LadyJay718 »

jane wrote:okay, they said the same thing a/b my tonsils - and mind you, my problem hasnt gone away completely as i need my LINGUAL tonsils removed rather than palatine, but the surgery has helped a deal w/ my pnd- but i lied about the # of infections i get yearly. say NOTHING about the tonsil stones! yeah i suppose you can express a little concern a/b them

good luck!
Which location did you go to? The one on Manhattan or Queens?
GreenGuy
Total Newbie
Re: Doctors refuse to do tonsillectomy on me. Help!

Post by GreenGuy »

The next Ent you visit just lie about your symptoms. I had my tonsils removed a year and a half ago and I too had small tonsils that had those smelly stones. I told the ent I my tonsils got very sore whenever I got large stones, I also said I had earaches/ headaches, and that I could feel the stones moving in my throats when I swallowed. Within a month had the surgery. If you live in the Louisiana area message me and I could let you know who I went too. If not, try to find an ent/clinic that specifically talks about tonsil stones in their website, they tend to be more open/knowledgeable about your issue.
steffna
Junior

Post by steffna »

GreenGuy wrote:The next Ent you visit just lie about your symptoms. I had my tonsils removed a year and a half ago and I too had small tonsils that had those smelly stones. I told the ent I my tonsils got very sore whenever I got large stones, I also said I had earaches/ headaches, and that I could feel the stones moving in my throats when I swallowed. Within a month had the surgery. If you live in the Louisiana area message me and I could let you know who I went too. If not, try to find an ent/clinic that specifically talks about tonsil stones in their website, they tend to be more open/knowledgeable about your issue.
hello, how long have you been suffering and have you managed to reduce bad breath with the tonsillectomy? thank you
GreenGuy
Total Newbie

Post by GreenGuy »

steffna wrote:
GreenGuy wrote:The next Ent you visit just lie about your symptoms. I had my tonsils removed a year and a half ago and I too had small tonsils that had those smelly stones. I told the ent I my tonsils got very sore whenever I got large stones, I also said I had earaches/ headaches, and that I could feel the stones moving in my throats when I swallowed. Within a month had the surgery. If you live in the Louisiana area message me and I could let you know who I went too. If not, try to find an ent/clinic that specifically talks about tonsil stones in their website, they tend to be more open/knowledgeable about your issue.
hello, how long have you been suffering and have you managed to reduce bad breath with the tonsillectomy? thank you

My tonsils smelled really bad, so removing them made somewhat of a difference. Unfortunately I still had bad breath... I recently started making my own green smoothies, avoiding dairy and processed sugars, and drinking only water and green/black tea and my breath has gotten much better!! There are many posts on this site with people that had similar experiences. I have a couple cheat days a week (had an ice cream cone) I even fell asleep without brushing my teeth, but I still had a pink tongue when I checked 30 min ago.

Kale and spinach have been the base of my smoothies along with avocados, cucumbers, squash, oranges, apples.... I wish I tried this out before doing the surgery.... I don't know if this would work for everyone, but it sure as hell worked for me
GreenGuy
Total Newbie

Post by GreenGuy »

steffna wrote:

I also make my own lunches for work (turkey breast sandwiches with lots of spinach, cucumbers, avocados). My BB had literally destroyed my social life, so I'm grateful things are improving. Try this for a month and let me know how it goes. Please message me if you have any other questions!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic