Your Email Address:

First Name:

Dr. Finkelstein Is Right: Crypts Are The Source

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
incognito
Total Newbie

Dr. Finkelstein Is Right: Crypts Are The Source

Post by incognito »

I will make this short and sweet.

After perusing this forum for about an hour tonight, and after researching Dr. Finkelstein's claims and theory about the crypts in the tonsils, or alternatively, cryptic tissue in the back of the throat serving as a 'trap' for the kind of material that causes halitosis, I am convinced that this is the source of halitosis for the majority of people who have chronic halitosis along with crypts and tonsiloliths.

These crypts can exist in the back of the throat even among individuals, like I, who have had their tonsils removed.

Some of you, if you are able to suppress your gag reflex, can feel these crypts in the back of your throat if you run a finger back there.

In my case, there are several elongated crypts that produce tonsiloliths.

I have suffered with this issue for many years, and have seen many otolaryngologists. I even had FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery) performed, in addition to having a tonsillectomy.

I am absolutely convinced that Dr. Finklestein is correct, that laser ablation is most likely the only permanent solution to removing the crypts that trap the debris that causes the majority of halitosis, and that even among those of us who have allergies (including rhinitis) and even occasional sinus infections, that anatomical crypts accompanied by cryptic matter (exudite or otherwise) is the source of most halitosis.

I even believe that coated tongue is most often caused by crypts, and that post-nasal drip is only a contributing factor, at most, to the collection of cryptic debris, and may even be incidental to halitosis.

I am trying to locate a physician in the U.S. who is familiar with laser ablation techniques and plan on getting a referral and setting up an appointment to see them as soon as possible to try and finally deal with the source of this problem that has complicated my life from the time I was a child.

Kudos to Dr. Finkelstein and his peers for being the pioneers, as far as I can tell, in discovering the real source of the problem of halitosis for the majority of people who suffer from this condition, and developing a very plausible and logical method of eradicating it.

To those of you who are wondering what the 'Finkelstein test' is to determine whether you have halitosis, simply use one finger to massage the back of your throat and coat the finger with the mucosal matter back there. Then smell your finger. It's that simple.

I assure you that I am in no way affiliated with any company or physician, but rather, came across the medical literature produced by Dr. Finkelstein (that's how I came across this site), and instantly knew it was imminently credible.

The problem that has kept us from a cure is that most doctors do not view this as a serious condition, worthy of earnest research, and even when they have, they have attributed the symptoms to the wrong causation (i.e. sinus, GI tract).

If your teeth, GI tract, and sinuses are asymptomatic, there is little doubt in my mind that crypts in tonsillar or even non-tonsillar tissue is the source of halitosis.

In fact, even if you have allergies and sinus problems, as long as you do not have an ACUTE sinus infection, crypts are most likely the source of halitosis.

It's too bad it took physicians as long as it has to make the discovery and venture into the treatment realm that Dr. Finklestein has.

If I resided anywhere near Israel, I'd be at Dr. Finkelstein's office ASAP.

This forum should compile a list of physicians who perform laser ablation to eliminate cryptic anatomy.

For those who are interested, here is the article published about Dr. Finkelstein and his peers in treating those with halitosis through laser ablation at his clinic in Israel:

http://optics.org/articles/news/10/11/12/1

Nov 16, 2004
Laser therapy cures bad breath

Israeli doctors use a CO2 laser to ablate the tonsils of patients suffering from severe halitosis.

Laser therapy could be the answer to bad breath according to Israeli research. In a recent study, a team of doctors used a CO2 laser to cure 51 out of 53 patients suffering from severe halitosis. (Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery 131 372)
laser therapy

Colleagues from Sapir Medical Centre, Chaim Sheba Medical Centre and Tel Aviv University conducted the research to investigate tonsils as a source of halitosis and assess the potential of laser ablation as a treatment.

The study contained 30 men and 23 women aged from 18 to 61 years, all suffering with halitosis originating from chronic fetid tonsillitis. In the condition, the surface of the tonsil becomes infected with gas-producing bacteria that can hide in openings known as crypts and cause bad breath.

The treatment consisted of guiding a CO2 laser beam with a power of between 10 and 20 W over the tonsils. A scanner quickly rotates the focused laser beam over a 3 - 4 mm circle to vaporize the tonsils without causing thermal damage to surrounding tissue.

The advantage of the technique is that it can be performed in an office setting with the patient under local anaesthetic. Of the 53 patients in the study, 47 immediately resumed regular work and routine activities. All patients were back at work within 3 days of receiving treatment, which lasted no more than 20 minutes.

28 patients were cured in one session, 18 patients required a second visit and 5 patients returned for a third treatment. "The findings show that the tonsils are a source of halitosis, and are effectively treated by laser vaporization," said the authors in their paper. "All our patients were cured from their bad breath, 51 by cryptolysis [the laser therapy] and only 2 patients by tonsillectomy."

Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

I'd like to find these crypts, please can you be a little more specific regarding where to feel..?

...is it far back, almost by the epiglottis (see below) or where do I look..? (btw I've had my actual tonsils removed)

Yours, Karl 8-[
C

Re: Dr. Finkelstein Is Right: Crypts Are The Source

Post by C »

incognito wrote: I am trying to locate a physician in the U.S. who is familiar with laser ablation techniques and plan on getting a referral and setting up an appointment to see them as soon as possible to try and finally deal with the source of this problem that has complicated my life from the time I was a child.

[...]

This forum should compile a list of physicians who perform laser ablation to eliminate cryptic anatomy.
I am also interested in a list of physicians who perform the laser procedure, in fact I will email all the best ENTs in my country to ask them about the procedure. If this can be done here other members from Europe could come to do it here if it turns out to be cheaper. Until now I think the wellknown doctors who perform the procedure are:

DR. YEHUDA FINKELSTEIN from Israel
Dr.Krespi from New Tork
Doctors from Brazil who wrote the article posted by Mr. Jimi.
pastorius
Total Newbie

Post by pastorius »

what? the last post said something about doctors in brazil who work with this treatment, please can you give the link of the articule posted by mr. jimi about this brazilian people?
thank u very much.
and excuse again my bad english.
C

Post by C »

The article is at the end of the second page of this topic: viewtopic.php?t=185
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic