Your Email Address:

First Name:

Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth = Shit breath?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

iva wrote:"Some of the gas produced by the bacteria can, in some individuals..............rise the direct way via stomach and esophagus."

The ONLY way this can happen is when you burp. Someone studying medicine should be perfectly aware of that...
Yeah, it shouldn't happen, I guess the esophagus is collapsed when not eating. But still, for example when I'm bloated, with a gas filled stomach, I actually get a different taste in my mouth even before I burp, and inbetween burps.

But from small intestine, yeah maybe via the bloodstream --> lungs --> breath is more reasonable 8-[

elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Larc400 wrote: I also had a hydrogen breath test when I lived in the UK, and it was negative. Those tests get a false negative in ~40% of cases though. Apparently they can choose different substances when they perform the test. Do you know which one they used for you?

Did they do the lactose/fructose intolerance test at the same time? Have you had any symptoms of lactose intolerance in the past?

I guess we could just treat SIBO (antibiotics + probiotics) in a trial-and-error way instead of relying on inaccurate testing? We just need to get hold of the relevant antibiotics 8-[ Or do we revisit our GPs yet again? What do you think, Elliot..?
Larc,

I don't know what they used for the 3 tests, I think sucralose for the fructose test. The tests were done weeks apart, however you are to follow a strict diet, towards a fast the 36 hours before the test... which I did, but didn't agree with.

I did have lactose intolerance symptoms. Cheese, milk, etc. all thicken and increase my mucous and cause flatulence (I love that word.)

I pretty much consider my SIBO test a false negative, and I'm now proven intolerant of fructose, fructans and lactose, which probably led to SIBO.

Maybe it is possible that gas can be absorbed by cilia, and carried by fluids such as mucous. It's not my imagination that my mucous has a strangely gassy flavor, and swallowing emits a quick emission of gassy odor. Medicine doesn't have the answers. Listening to your body is the most accurate thing you can do.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Elliot, do you have any deficiencies?

Part of the reason I suspect SIBO in my case is that I have a B12 deficiency for which they have not found the cause in spite of performing numerous tests (gastro+coloscopy etc). I'm also verging on low Iron. Both of these despite an average diet. 8-[

I also get incredibly tired, and I mean incredibly, 1-2h after eating, even though glucose levels are okay. 8-[
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Larc400 wrote:Elliot, do you have any deficiencies?

Part of the reason I suspect SIBO in my case is that I have a B12 deficiency for which they have not found the cause in spite of performing numerous tests (gastro+coloscopy etc). I'm also verging on low Iron. Both of these despite an average diet. 8-[

I also get incredibly tired, and I mean incredibly, 1-2h after eating, even though glucose levels are okay. 8-[
I also get extremely tired 1 hour after my 1st meal, i have to lie down for an hour or 2 if possible then i'm ok for the rest of the day. Can you tell me about any other medical problem you have? I wonder if we suffer from the same things.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Archimonde wrote:Can you tell me about any other medical problem you have? I wonder if we suffer from the same things.
They've all been told on this thread :P An odor problem, B12 deficiency, and xtreme tiredness especially after eating. Plus nightly reflux probably. How about you? Maybe we have more things in common [-o<
mnb
Total Newbie

Re:

Post by mnb »

Hi there. I literally just made an account to respond to your post. I know it's oooold but this could be still useful to you or someone else.
Please look into hypochlorhydria, AKA low stomach acid. All the things you listed are its symptoms (tiredness after meals, b12 and iron deficiencies), along with other deficiencies despite sufficient dietary intake, lack of appetite in the morning, belching for hours after meals, constipation/diarrhea, nausea, reflux, lack of appetite for meat, undigested food in stool... and bad breath, obviously.

Basically, without stomach acid food sits in your stomach undigested for hours so you're not hungry in the mornings because you still haven't digested your evening meal. Until the ph gets to a certain level, the stomach won't empty which raises pressure and causes reflux, both bile and acid. You're unable to absorb nutrients like iron, b12, vit. d and others, and because pepsin (necessary to break down proteins into aminoacids) also needs a proper environment to work, meat and other high-protein products make people with this problem feel particularly bad so they often cut out meat from their diet completely. It may also cause SIBO. I've been looking into this lately as my years-long GI issues are worse than ever and so is my bb lately. Apparently betaine supplements work as digestive acids when taken with meals, I just got one and hope it will work, as I'm feeling really f**king awful and losing weight. Mine is with digestive enzymes too. Not sure if there are meds for this, the page I read about it (some doctor's blog, will post a link once I'm on my laptop) said gastroscopy won't diagnose lack of stomsch acid and neither will most doctors because they're so fixated on its OVERproduction, due to PPIs being pushed everywhere. Apparently most people who take thrm actually have too little, not too much acid. Hopefully this helps someone.
steffna
Junior

Re: Re:

Post by steffna »

mnb wrote:

Hi there. I literally just made an account to respond to your post. I know it's oooold but this could be still useful to you or someone else.
Please look into hypochlorhydria, AKA low stomach acid.

hello,
have the digestive enzymes helped you with your breath? I have taken them ( and still do ) for a long time but with no results...I mentioned SIBO to my doctor once and he had no idea what I was talking about, saying that my hiatal hernia and gerd were responsible, telling me to take my omeprazole for life ( which never worked, of course ).
I've read rifaximin or metrodinazole are given to patients with SIBO. I wonder if they would make a difference. but First, I need to get a doctor to test me for it.
Johnv713
Advanced
Re: Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth = Shit breath?

Post by Johnv713 »

Im not saying it isnt , but c'mon folks!

Have't we learned anything? 85-95% of bb comes from the mouth. The other 5-15% comes from else where. If you were a gambler, where would you stack your money?

No one here claims to be an bb expert(GOD) but numbers don't lie. If bb were a betting sporting event(s), i'd win an astronomical amount of time base on stats.
Dead
Advanced

Post by Dead »

Johnv713 wrote:Im not saying it isnt , but c'mon folks!

Have't we learned anything? 85-95% of bb comes from the mouth. The other 5-15% comes from else where. If you were a gambler, where would you stack your money?

No one here claims to be an bb expert(GOD) but numbers don't lie. If bb were a betting sporting event(s), i'd win an astronomical amount of time base on stats.
The idea that 85-95% of bb originates from the mouth is based on the fact that nearly all cases of bb comes from the tongue coating. But what they fail to realize is that the coating in turn has another cause. So it is true that the smell comes from within the mouth, but the real cause, the cause of the coating, lies elsewhere.

It's no coincidence that so many people on here get relief for a few days when taking probiotics for example.
Life_Goes_On
Advanced

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Johnv713 wrote:Im not saying it isnt , but c'mon folks!

I don't think you understand the concept of sports betting in Vegas…. The House and smart bettors(the 5%-15%) make a killing off tourist/public bettors(the 85%-95%) with the same mindset as you because you people are so easily fooled by the propaganda. And your right, numbers don’t lie but the people who use them do, your statistics are baseless and refer to people who can get bad breath from time to time and not to people who suffer from 24/7 chronic bad breath. If I’m wrong cite your claim that includes the study, the subjects involved and their situations.
Johnv713
Advanced

Post by Johnv713 »

You both are dead wrong.

People get relief for a few days mostly because a) their inability to extricate the bacteria from their stronghold for whatever reason b) the resident bacteria are superbugs meaning they have the ability to form a resistant to x treatment. C) the bacteria in question are overwhelming in number for the probiotics to make a dent.

I dont care how ever you want to spin it. If i knew base on odds that id have an 85-95% chance to win a game, guess where i'd put my money most if not all of the time?
Dead
Advanced

Post by Dead »

Johnv713 wrote:You both are dead wrong.

People get relief for a few days mostly because a) their inability to extricate the bacteria from their stronghold for whatever reason b) the resident bacteria are superbugs meaning they have the ability to form a resistant to x treatment. C) the bacteria in question are overwhelming in number for the probiotics to make a dent.

I dont care how ever you want to spin it. If i knew base on odds that id have an 85-95% chance to win a game, guess where i'd put my money most if not all of the time?
I'm not talking about oral probiotics. I mean regular ones that you swallow whole. Those bacteria don't even reach the mouth. If they work it means it's gut related.
Johnv713
Advanced

Post by Johnv713 »

In the past i used oral probiotics but not long enough to make a stance. I, however, readily admit bb for any given person can originate from anywhere, but collectively chances are they come from the mouth. BOL!
Dead
Advanced

Post by Dead »

Johnv713 wrote:In the past i used oral probiotics but not long enough to make a stance. I, however, readily admit bb for any given person can originate from anywhere, but collectively chances are they come from the mouth. BOL!
I believe you are missing my point. It is true that the smell comes from the mouth in about 90% of cases. But to say that that means that the cause is 90% oral is wrong. Because while the smell comes from the tongue in most cases, you must also take into consideration that the tongue coating in turn has another cause, which can often be gastric. The study that concluded that 90% of bb is oral, just noted that almost all cases of bad breath comes from the tongue and left it at that, saying it's orally caused. They didn't take into account that the coating is a symptom of something else. Just take a look at Impactdials thread from two days ago. His tongue coating disappeared after he took PPI's, so in his case the coating, and thus his bb was caused by reflux, which would be none-oral right? But if he had been part of that study they would have seen that as oral caused. Do you see how the study is flawed?
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

for sure, i think main problem is liver, if liver could clean itself out, we would not have bad breah.....but something went wrong.....so our livers are impaired....or intestines....or ....who knows.....
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic