Your Email Address:

First Name:

Is Halitosis Hereditary?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Eazyslug,
I'm still not certain about a hereditary factor, but I have been told that that is wrong by Halitosisux and Aydin Murat, and I have no proof one way or the other.
After trying to find a solution to my BB problem for decades, I finally seem to have found a procedure that seems to work. But I have only been doing it for about a week. I don't know if the improvement will be permanent, but I wanted to let you know as soon as possible in case you want to try it.

EazySlug
Total Newbie

Post by EazySlug »

I'm on a diet these days and I'm convinced that it's going to work. I don't believe in quick solutions for chronic deseases. I think it takes as long as you had it to recover from BB. I've had it for years. The problem is very acute.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

EazySlug,
The procedure which I described is not a cure. In fact I doubt very much that there is a cure for this type of BB (overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria in the mouth) because no one knows what the underlying cause is. Why do some people have too much bacteria and others don't? My thought was that the reason could be genetic, but people are arguing with me on this. In any case, the procedure described should be able to suppress the bacteria at least temporarily, which could be helpful in certain situation. I have noticed some improvement, but it is not 100%. I guess we're all experimenting as much as we can. I don't think diet alone will do it.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Smallmiracle,
I'm inclined to go along with you in your post. I also believe that halitosis from an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria in the mouth is hereditary and has something to do with the saliva. What you describe about aeromatic foods that "normal" people can eat, and after a few minutes the odor just disappears, whereas with us it just lingers and gets worse is absolutely true! How could that be if it weren't for something in the saliva? What else could it be? It can't very well be something in your big toe, can it. Halitosisux claims that the components of saliva are well understood. I wonder. Who are these people that understand it so well? Has anybody taken 200 people with bacterial BB and 200 people without BB and actually compared all the components in their respective saliva? If this experiment was ever done, I would like to know about it.
I'm afraid that for the time being the best we can hope for is suppressing the bacteria with antibacterial toothpaste and rinse, but that is not a cure of the underlying problem of why we have too much bacteria in the first place.
steffna
Junior

Re:

Post by steffna »

[quote="Phantasist"]Smallmiracle,
I'm inclined to go along with you in your post. I also believe that halitosis from an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria in the mouth is hereditary and has something to do with the saliva. What you describe about aeromatic foods that "normal" people can eat, and after a few minutes the odor just disappears, whereas with us it just lingers and gets worse is absolutely true!

Hi, I have the same opinion, and I have a hereditary form of halitosis since childhood. My father has had it his whole life ( 66 )and we smell the same. I realize how putrid my breath is when my dad speaks. I don't think a hereditary condition can be easily cured or even understood. My brother is the lucky one, he is like my mother, no matter how he neglects hygene or what he eats, he can have neutral breath for days. He is also a heavy smoker, unlike me. I always wondered what is like to be normal. I will keep wondering forever, I guess.
Johnv713
Advanced
Re: Is Halitosis Hereditary?

Post by Johnv713 »

I doubt very much halitosis is hereditary ( just cuz ur parents have bb doesnt mean u got it from them) but i cant prove it and no one can disprove it either. Sure germs are passed down from mothers howevers those germs in birth canal arent exactly the same ones in our oral cavities in most cases. Also, external factors play a huge role in what type of bac are dominant in the mouth. Simply put, it's not hereditary!
Phantasist wrote:Smallmiracle, I also believe that halitosis from an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria in the mouth is hereditary and has something to do with the saliva. How could that be if it weren't for something in the saliva? .

Absolutely false! The fluid portion of saliva is made of .....drum roll please.......filtered blood! And blood is what guys??? Steriled! Saliva only contains bacteria once it reached the mouth where there's an abundant of germs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic