Your Email Address:

First Name:

Is the amount of white coating on your tongue (click)

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
gordongekko

Is the amount of white coating on your tongue (click)

Post by gordongekko »

Is the amount of white coating on your tongue representative of how bad your breath smells. Because even on days where there is no coating on my tongue, and I rub my fingers over the back of my tongue to check. It still smells. Why?

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Because its not your coating that smells, its the chemicals produced by the bacteria and the coating just makes the problem worse by acting like a sponge for these chemicals and creating even more anerobic area than would otherwise exist.

Phantasist tried a simple experiment where he tried scraping off and collecting his tongue coating. It had no smell.

This is also why you will often see people with thick white tongue coatings, but no bad breath.

When your tongue is heavily coated, your taste buds are buried beneith that coating and concentrated layer of foul chemicals. This gives an impression that your breath is far worse than it probably really is. Your senses can mess with your brain's perceptions of the true situation, that's why your own senses should not be relied upon entirely to detemine the status of your breath.
danger
Master

Post by danger »

i agree with sux

i used to be obsessed about my coating, trying to get every bit of white coating off thinking that would help. i remember when i first went to the dentist after knowing about my breath, asking my dentist if my tongue was normal, he said it was and showed me his tongue, his had white coating on his too but had no bad breath

also, there are certain parts of my tongue that is coated but i get no odour from
sadman
Advanced

Post by sadman »

It is clear that the tongue forms the largest niche for microorganisms in the oral cavity. On the basis of
the literature, there appears to be no data that justify the necessity to clean the tongue on a regular basis. One exception would be oral malodour. It has become clear that in those cases the presence of a tongue coating is an important factor. Subsequently,when there is a complaint of oral malodour, tongue brushing on a regular basis, particularly aiming at removing the coating on the dorsum of the tongue, has found to be fruitful.
gordongekko

Post by gordongekko »

So your saying that the odors come from something the naked eye can't see within the tongue. I still don't understand what the white coating has to do with anything? Which do we get a white coating?
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

I would like to make a point about the white coating on the tongue. As Halitosisux has said, when I scraped the coating off my tongue, deposited it on some stiff paper, let it dry and then sniffed it, I could not detect any odor. Needless to say, this surprised me.
However, I believe that the coating forms a protective layer for the anaerobic bacteria on the dorsal surface of the tongue, and therefore it would make sense to scrape it off before using an antibacterial rinse so that it can penetrate, otherwise it wouldn't even touch the anaerobes.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic