Your Email Address:

First Name:

'Carafate' cured someone, has anyone tried it?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Sadgirlbb,

Apparently you feel that you have acid reflux, and that liver bile was pushed up into your nasal cavity.

This sounds pretty extreme. Wouldn't you have to have a burning sensation in your esophagus, throat and sinuses if that happened?

It's hard for me to see how this could happen, unless it occurs at night when you're lying down.

The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Phantasist wrote: Wouldn't you have to have a burning sensation in your esophagus?

It's hard for me to see how this could happen
It's common knowledge that GERD without heartburn can occur, it's not rare either.

In the case of bile reflux, which is the topic of this thread, so little is known about that condition that I wouldn't trust any articles on the interweb or even a general practitioner, much less a random person on an internet forum.

Also, bile is highly alkaline, i could be completely wrong but I don't think an alkaline substance would cause a burning sensation.
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

Phantasist wrote:Sadgirlbb,

Apparently you feel that you have acid reflux, and that liver bile was pushed up into your nasal cavity.

This sounds pretty extreme. Wouldn't you have to have a burning sensation in your esophagus, throat and sinuses if that happened?

It's hard for me to see how this could happen, unless it occurs at night when you're lying down.
The back of my tongue does have a burning sensation and my throat is sore quite a bit. I'm not saying the bile/acid for sure went into my nasal cavity but it just seems odd that I lost my sense of smell just like bbforyears (who originally started this topic). When you have a lot of the same symptoms as someone else, it makes you stop and go hmmmmm.... I don't know for sure about anything.... just trying to figure things out.

And the doctor pretty much told me what Arch just said up there... you don't have to have burning sensation anywhere to have acid reflux.

This medicine may not even work for me like it did for her, but I'm willing to try anything to see if it helps. :)
dick.karma
Advanced

Post by dick.karma »

good luck sadgirlbb! i hope this will work for you!
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Post by emotional rescue »

sadgirlbb wrote:Well I went to my doctor this morning... printed out that whole thread from bbforyears (viewtopic.php?t=2508&start=0) and poured my heart out.

She sat, listened and took notes. In the end she prescribed me carafate ... said it was an excellent medication ... along with a ppi (pantoprazole). She's also going to test me for h.pylori which I haven't been tested for before. She also said that along with acid and bile that comes up in reflux, partially digested food can come up and sit in your esophagus/back of throat which can cause the really bad taste/bad breath.

And she pointed out that the problem with ppi's and acid reflux is a lot of times you don't start seeing results for a couple of months. It takes that long for it to start healing and working. And people give up on it too fast and stop taking medication when they needed to continue and give it time. Just thought I would throw that out there for ppl who thought they did not get any relief from ppi's. But the carafate should help initially untl the ppi starts working....

I will start taking the medication tonight!
You rock!!!!!

Good luck!!!
sadgirlbb
Advanced

Post by sadgirlbb »

Well I have been on carafate for a few weeks and thought I would give an update. Actually I stopped taking the carafate a few days ago.

It did take the shit taste out of my mouth. And for that, I'm really thankful. But it came as a liquid in this huge bottle and you have to take it before every meal and before bed so you are always lugging around this big bottle of liquid... And there is a side effect for some which hit me in the extreme. Constipation. Wow it was terrible and that alone made me sick so I just stopped taking it. I am still taking my ppi though that the doctor prescribed me and I think that is working because the shit taste has not come back.

It may work for most of you, but it just wasn't for me. I have found something else that is working better. Today I'm totally bb free. I can't believe it and if its just today, I'm going to savor it. I don't want to say its a cure for me just yet, but I am hopeful. I tried the tea tree oil suggested by Cauterize about a week ago and saw SUBSTANTIAL improvement. So I started doing research online and found lufenuron. Its for candida. I started it a couple of days ago. All I can say is that it is working for me.

I will start another thread on this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic