Your Email Address:

First Name:

Important - nose rubs however people I trust saying no

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

By the way, I live in the Central Florida area and would be very happy to meet with someone on this forum that would give me feedback about my breath. I would do the same for you. Please advise if anyone in cyberland lives out this way. I need some help! Thanks all

HigherThoughts
Advanced

Post by HigherThoughts »

thissux I don't think nose rubs are reactions to your bb. People rub their noses all the time. I always see people rubbing their noses even when I'm just driving with my windows closed up. That doesn't mean they can smell me just because I see all these people rub their nose as I'm passing by in my car.

Look for other reactions. Like behaviors and facial expressions. When people are around me they ARE NOT relaxed like you said others were around you. People will be fidgety and act uncomfortable around me. The only person who is the absolute best at hiding her reactions is my sister. She is the only person I have been around so far that acts more relaxed than everyone else.

Since I have the bad room filling smell people definitely do not act relaxed around me. Rather than people rubbing their noses they will instead close their mouths and try to breathe in as little as possible around me and also seem very unrelaxed.

So next time you talk to people directly to their face look for some other signs. Like do they seem fidgety? Constantly looking around and can't even look at you in the face? They close their mouths tight and kind of purse their lips and don't even say anything back, but just rather nod their heads while looking away?

Those are a lot of signs I see way more than nose rubs. I look at their entire behavior and you can see it is clearly odd. Not just simple nose rubs.

My best advice is for you is to get some therapy to get deal with your halitophobia.
thissux
Advanced

Post by thissux »

Higherthoughts and everyone else - thank you so much for your responses. It just seems like whenever I speak, many times I will get a big nose rub, though not every time. Sometimes when people walk by I might get a finger touching near the nose. When you say uncomfortable, would that be like someone's leg bouncing, kind of like restless legs? When I scrape my tongue, there is a smell there, not one that I could say was foul, but more like the smell of regular breath if you got right into someones face and they breathed out hard. Again, I have people putting their nose right in my face and breathing out without much problem. What about people putting a finger under their nose but not covering the nose holes? I went out with an old friend yesterday to eat and shop and he rubbed his nose the entire time, non stop. I know he has some allergies etc but it was extreme rubbing. Ugh, this stuff makes me crazy. Does anyone here live in central Florida? Thanks guys!
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

I never understood these nose rubs until one day I was experiencing the peculiar sensation of having to rub my nose throughout the day. It started shortly after I scraped my tongue for longer than usual. It must of dislodged some bacteria which caused me to have an irritated nose.

These people may or may not smell your breath, but their nose may be itchy from the bacteria coming from your mouth. Try to stop scraping your tongue for two weeks and see if the nose rubs decrease. It worked for me.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

i think nose rubs are things we do subconsciously.

My friend was asking a woman for directions the other day and she started rubbing her nose, his breath is as clean as a whistle even after not brushing for 2 days (asshole right??!).

I observe colleagues doing this daily. One thing I don't get is some people sniffing up really hard when I am near them (not everyone). I mean childishly violently sniffing up.

People used to cough alot and clear there throat near me. I used a different detergent, People rarely cough around me now.

One time Ii went to a supermarket I approached the guy at the counter, for a few seconds it was all good, the next minute he starts fitting, sniffing and coughing. then asks the women at the other counter to hand him some toilet roll. maybe my deoderant or detergent spark an allergy?? yet nobody around me that day said or reacted?? maybe im being violently paranoid.

but back to my original point, people do nose rub alot.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Brad123 wrote:I never understood these nose rubs until one day I was experiencing the peculiar sensation of having to rub my nose throughout the day. It started shortly after I scraped my tongue for longer than usual. It must of dislodged some bacteria which caused me to have an irritated nose.

These people may or may not smell your breath, but their nose may be itchy from the bacteria coming from your mouth. Try to stop scraping your tongue for two weeks and see if the nose rubs decrease. It worked for me.
I've been building towards this theory for awhile now. I think that for quite a small amount of people with so called "gut related" issues, we may be exhaling some sort of airborne irritant in addition or perhaps separate from normal odors. If not in every exhalation, at least as an occasional 'release' of 'gas' that can hang around, spread and dissipate with movement not unlike a small smoke cloud does.

It's the only thing that can explain the consistency of reaction. It's not a pure "this stinks" reaction, it's a quicker subconscious (preventive or reactionary) act of self protection from an irritant. I am at the point where I can guarantee if I move my neck a certain way or swallow with a certain pressure, I can force out some "irritant" that will cause someone within an 50 sq feet. enclosed area to either sneeze or develop "itchy throat".

It is either an odorless irritant (with or without) bad odor *or* it may be the case that people that you see everyday in the same area have built resistance from your actual odor and are more or less only irritated by the air around you, similar to an allergic reaction.

In my situation, over the months, I have noticed less of the pure "it stinks" motions, and lately more of the "something around me is irritating my sinus/throat in this room everyday - I think it's him"

I find it strange that the people that cough and sneeze are the people that I'm in day to day contact with, it happens to a less consistent degree with people that come and go. If a person comes in and takes a seat nearby, it's a toss up as to whether they will be "irritated", people respond differently. some people are very sensitive, some aren't, it is like any allergic reaction.

It is also even stranger that I have overheard people sneeze from another room close by, or I have heard people sneeze a distance away before I've approached them. I put these instances down to coincidence or involuntary subconscious. It is necessary to consider and separate these coincidental or psychological reactions from the actual "irritant" reactions in order to make a valid and valuable judgement. This is also to say, I aint imagining things here. This is an issue that should be taken very seriously. It goes along with an also interesting personal realization of a special musty odor that I get if I happen to lean forward, it is a very dusty/old smelling sensation, very chemical. It kinda hangs around and is only really noticeable when you re-enter the space you were just standing in. It smells... irritating.

I'd like to bring it up with a doctor, I have a feeling it would be hard to convince them of this sort of theory, you would almost need to document a month of reactions with video or audio for anyone to take it seriously.
deebo

" patm " ?

Post by deebo »

Elliot , you articulate what mine and others I've talked with feel is "PATM" (people are allergic to Me). A term I don't like personally,and only in our community . Sufferers and non-sufferers alike have added strength to this theory of an 'allergenic' odor. People at meetups have pointed this out , saying they honestly couldn't smell a person but they had the urge to cough when near them . I've heard a Seattle reporter say exactly that about a woman with TMAU .

The odor you described is pretty much exactly what I get when I'm on a low fat ,low protein diet . The strangest thing I've explained is it seems just a bit lighter than air, because when I wake up ,theres a layer of this odor just above me ! I've noticed this on hundreds of occasions .Like the way propane gas floats just inches off the floor . I put my face into it when I get up ! Its weird and of course just speculation but its the easiest way I can explain that aspect .

Now ,when I'm off that low fat/protein diet ,I'm pretty sure the odor changes or becomes stronger ,more fecal (?)because I can actually smell it less . My BO becomes a problem also and peoples reactions are more clear to my breath . There have been quite a few women and men i talk with who came to this conclusion independently as you and I have .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGdHk6KOIM
somethinstinks
Advanced

Re: Important - nose rubs however people I trust saying no

Post by somethinstinks »

thissux wrote:Hi all,

I have not been here for awhile. I was in treatment as I am a recovering alcoholic that replapsed. While in treatment, my main issue was halitosis or halitophobia. My therapist said she had never smelled anything on my breath, though occasional nose rubs. But better, the women in treatment with me told me over and over again that there is no smell. They would go so far as to put their nose right under, almost in my mouth while I talked and breathed and told me there was no smell, or just the smell of "normal" breath. On a scale for 0 to 10 I got mostly 0's and occassional a 1 with no offensive odor. One swore on the bible 2 times and she is the type to say it like it is, she was from jail. She even smelled my tongue and my air from my nostrils. She did this several times a day. She said normal, plane jane, girl next door breath and that she would tell me out of respect. Another woman said on her kids life that she had NEVER smelled bad breath on me. As did all of the other women. They did this every day for weeks. These are the kid of women that would tell you. I was in there for two months. If my breath was room filling foul, could they put their nose in my mouth and have me talk and breath as they inhaled through their nose if it was that bad? Room filling bad. They told me they could do that all day. One woman said it smelled like baby breath. She said afterlunch it might smell like chocolate milk or whatever food I ate. Or that it smelled like mint after brushing. I am home now and I saw three nose rubs in different places. I am not sure what to do. I may go back to my family doctor who said he smelled it before and see what he says. I am not drinking and taking prilosec.They told me I could speak to anyone, anywhere at anytime without embarrassment. If it was foul could someone breath in from thier nose in my mouth without gagging? I'm I getting better? Do peoples noses just itch? They have no reason to lie. Opinions please.Thank you all!
Hey ThisSux, i know this is an old post but I'm curious where you are at with this problem these days. I saw some of your older posts which I related to and then read some of your more recent posts which seemed like you were resigned to the fact that you did have an odor. How did you confirm you did? Were your bf and family members lying to you previously? If you read this please update and PM me. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks
sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

Nose rubs nose rubs every where. It's driving me crazy. Yesterday one of my colleague stopped by me for a little chit chat, he was rubbing his nose rubbing his eyes and was making weird faces. WTF I don't get it. Then few more of them joined and next thing is I'm surrounded by 4 people. My anxiety kicked in and I started sweating profusely. The nervousness comes from deep with in even I don't feel like I'm nervous but it happens, I don't know why. When attending interviews or giving a speech in front of crowd I can really feel the nervousness. It's genuine. But when people come close to me or sit close to me something gets triggered deep within ,even if I don't feel any nervousness. I think this causes body to release some stinkey chemicals. These chemicals are picked up by tongue and the mouth gives out odour. It's same as when we put eye by drops we can feel the taste change and also just a sec after injections you can feel the taste change in toungue. I truly believe our fear of BB is a major cause of this problem.
janet
Re:

Post by janet »

thissux wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:11 pm Higherthoughts and everyone else - thank you so much for your responses. It just seems like whenever I speak, many times I will get a big nose rub, though not every time. Sometimes when people walk by I might get a finger touching near the nose. When you say uncomfortable, would that be like someone's leg bouncing, kind of like restless legs? When I scrape my tongue, there is a smell there, not one that I could say was foul, but more like the smell of regular breath if you got right into someones face and they breathed out hard. Again, I have people putting their nose right in my face and breathing out without much problem. What about people putting a finger under their nose but not covering the nose holes? I went out with an old friend yesterday to eat and shop and he rubbed his nose the entire time, non stop. I know he has some allergies etc but it was extreme rubbing. Ugh, this stuff makes me crazy. Does anyone here live in central Florida? Thanks guys!
same here, now I honestly believ that I m allergic to people. I have asked many trusted people who are replied me swearing that they cant smell anything from me. but they do rub noses that means its not odour some thing makes them hitch their nose, cough, clear throat when they are near to us.
janet

Post by janet »

sopo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:37 am Nose rubs nose rubs every where. It's driving me crazy. Yesterday one of my colleague stopped by me for a little chit chat, he was rubbing his nose rubbing his eyes and was making weird faces. WTF I don't get it. Then few more of them joined and next thing is I'm surrounded by 4 people. My anxiety kicked in and I started sweating profusely. The nervousness comes from deep with in even I don't feel like I'm nervous but it happens, I don't know why. When attending interviews or giving a speech in front of crowd I can really feel the nervousness. It's genuine. But when people come close to me or sit close to me something gets triggered deep within ,even if I don't feel any nervousness. I think this causes body to release some stinkey chemicals. These chemicals are picked up by tongue and the mouth gives out odour. It's same as when we put eye by drops we can feel the taste change and also just a sec after injections you can feel the taste change in toungue. I truly believe our fear of BB is a major cause of this problem.
sopo always same story with me, now I need to change my mind make it strong and start to ignore the reactions.
Sue2018
Junior

Re:

Post by Sue2018 »

thissux wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:44 pm I has been difficult in trying to see if what these women are saying is true. There were 11 of us in the women's unit for the rehab center, from all walks of life. My roommate was the 50 year old from Jail that pretty much told people right to their face what she thought. She is the one that gave me a ray of hope that I may not have chronic bb. She would talk right in my face, well into my personal boundaries for 20 minutes or more. She would have me blow directly into her nose with her nose not even 2 inches from my mouth and would have me do it repeatedly....let's say 5 times, exhale then her deep inhale and would inhale deeply from her nose. She did this with me daily, sometimes 20 times per day. She swore on the bible on two occassions (she is a God fearing Christian) that I had absolutely no odor coming from anywhere on my body including my mouth. She told me she'd kiss me if I really wanted her to, but I am a woman (not that it would be a big deal). Another woman there had bad breath and the girls are going to tell her about it. Like build up to it and ask her if she needs to borrow toothpaste, if not they WILL approach her and she is a person that suffers from depression. All of the women there would put their nose pretty much in my mouth and have me talk and said it was a 0 or even that it smelled either neutral or good, kind of sweet like baby breath or at other times (I have reflux) my roommate said it smelled a bit like orange juice but light and not bad. She said sometimes it smelled actually quite good and better than most people. I asked my roommate for the 100th time if she could be honest with me and she wrote this: Even though you and I are closer than her and another woman there, the truth is still the truth! Not something I say because I like you. I would tell you in spite of the fact that we are closer....RESPECT. Then she wrote that I had: Normall, everyday, Average, Run of the Mill, Plain Jane, Girl Next Door Breath!!! That I could talk to Anybody, Anywhere, Anytime, that it is tongue teasing kissable breath. These women from jail tell people their feet stink or that they need to shower but in a nice way.I kept asking my other roommate who is not from jail and she kept saying no, she finally said if she told me it did smell that she would be lying.Another woman from the jail, younger girl who I had asked so many times grabbed my shoulders in the hall and shook me and said "it does not sink!". A guy there said that he was sitting right accross from me and 100% not at all.
Now, I am back at home as of yesterday. I joined the fitness club because I am really into it. When the salesperson was going over things with me he rubbed his nose a few times in a row, but did not look discusted or back away.Later that day I was working out and got called to the front desk, the girl who told me rubbed her nose. She did not look put off. Does that really mean anything? I am planning to go back to my family doctor who told me I did have bad breath (when I was actively drinking heavily). Could alcoholic drinking cause bad halitosis - shit breath really? I believe he will be honest with me. Is scratching a persons side of their nose a detection of a bad odor or just an itch as opposed to a full on nose rub? Or does any ot that matter?
Hi thissux it’s obvious you don’t have chronic bad breath and yea alcohol does cause bad breath. I personally don’t drink but when my brother did his breath the next day was foul before he brushed his teeth. I can’t remever his breath after he brushed tbh. I have horrid morning breath so if I don’t brush well in the morning and gargle mouth wash then I will have a smelly breath that morning. I’ve also noticed garlicky and dairy foods can give me bad breath. I Started using ting gel and honestly it removes the gunk on my tongue and gives me more confidence. I also had my ENT smell my breath up close and say he did not smell anything, Halitophobia is real and a few instances of bad breath can damage us for life. Everyone gets bad breath at some point and I think we have all had those episodes. No one has ever directly told me I have bad breath but I’ve had obvious hints, reactions that confirm I have it but I know it’s not chronic. I have a hairy tongue so brushing straight after a meal cleans all the food from my mouth and stops the bad breath from occurring. If I follow these steps then I don’t have to worry about bad breath as much. I’ve started talking to ppl up close and although I’m always holding my breath and never breathing normally I still havnt had any reactions. So for me the key is to maintain oral hygiene and brush after every meal . Thissux don’t judge ppl with their nose rubs as I do it all the time. Ppl touch their nose for various reasons - itch, cold, nervous or just during general conversation. Don’t let this problem hold you back.

All the best
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic