Your Email Address:

First Name:

Depressed people read this to help cope with bad breath

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Brad123

Depressed people read this to help cope with bad breath

Post by Brad123 »

I have read quite a few people on here who are severely depressed. How do you really know you have bad breath? Here is something I have proven to myself.

I have kept good notes on this, so I know the below findings to be factual to me.

Since I have been almost free from bad breath for the last four months, I have noticed I can't smell bad breath coming from anyone else.

I work in an office where we see 70 patients a day. Not one person's breath has smelled to me in the last four months.

Back when my breath smelled, I could literally smell bad breath on many patients.

So here are my findings.

1) If you cannot smell bad breath ever coming from other people, then your breath never smells.

2) If you can occasionally smell bad breath coming from other people, then your breath smells occasionally.

3) If you consistently smell bad breath coming from other people on a regular basis, then your breath smells most of the time.

4) If someone tells you that you have bad breath but you never smell bad breath from others, then you are not the one who has bad breath. The person telling you that you have bad breath is the one who has bad breath.

When you smell bad breath on other people, it is because you are smelling your breath reflected back to you in a stronger manner since your breath is mixed with air coming from the other person.

If you never smell bad breath on others, then your breath smells good.

aues
Master

Re: Depressed people read this to help cope with bad breath

Post by aues »

Actually I do believe there is some truth in what you wrote. I read something similar in a german board.
Brad123 wrote:If you never smell bad breath on others, then your breath smells good.
But this statement goes too far. If someone has got bad breath than other people without bad breath should obviously being able to notice it. :mrgreen:
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

aues wrote:Actually I do believe there is some truth in what you wrote. I read something similar in a german board.
Brad123 wrote:If you never smell bad breath on others, then your breath smells good.
But this statement goes too far. If someone has got bad breath than other people without bad breath should obviously being able to notice it. :mrgreen:
I understand your reasoning, but I still stick by my statement.

I calculated that I have been exposed to 4800 patients in the last four months. I have smelled zero bad breath on others.

The only exception I could see to my findings is I might be incorrect when it comes to a very close distance between me and others (less than 2 feet). Maybe then I could smell their breath. I have not tested this, since I keep a distance of 2 feet or greater when interacting with patients.
hali_grl
Sheriff

Post by hali_grl »

I can tell you for sure I have bb Brad and except for occasional psyciological bb have never smelt anyone else's breath. My whole entire life I've only known of one other person with pathological chronic halitosis and even then it was not room filling and far stretching as mine. I think room fillers are very rare maybe one out of thousands, maybe one out of ten's or hundred of thousands.

I do know that in halitophobia the olfactory sense in the brain is off causing distortion of the person's sense of smell. So even unassuming breath my seem rancid to that person. Seems to maybe be the problem here.
Last edited by hali_grl on Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jess
Sheriff

Post by jess »

Brad123,
I kinda agree with what you're saying. I've been wanting to write a post and ask about this phenemenon here, but it was just too hard to explain. I do believe that if you have bb and you're talking close enough to someone who doesn't have bb you will smell your own breath through their breath. That has happened many times to me (unfortunately) and now I can tell when it's my own breath I'm smelling.
Note: normally one will not be able to smell their own bb exactly as it is smelled by other people, but through this phenemenon they will be able to
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

jess wrote:Brad123,
I kinda agree with what you're saying. I've been wanting to write a post and ask about this phenemenon here, but it was just too hard to explain. I do believe that if you have bb and you're talking close enough to someone who doesn't have bb you will smell your own breath through their breath. That has happened many times to me (unfortunately) and now I can tell when it's my own breath I'm smelling.
Note: normally one will not be able to smell their own bb exactly as it is smelled by other people, but through this phenemenon they will be able to
I find it weird but intriguing that I am not able to detect my own odor unless through someone else's exhaled clean breath. It's like it takes a chemical mixture of the two breaths for me to be able to smell mine.

And it's not just talking, in my case the air around me is tainted. If I've been sitting quietly in one place for awhile and someone walks by quickly and others are talking, I get a whiff of the air around me.

These days though, it's so bad that if I get up to walk to another area where lots of people are, mainly a closed area. The air that they are talking through is enough for me to be able to smell my own breath if that makes any sense.

It's a strange phenomena that probably should be looked further into.
HigherThoughts
Advanced

Post by HigherThoughts »

Sorry, but I feel like your statements generalize too much. Bad odor is caused by bacteria and just like how people can smell things like poop, or garbage, people will be able to smell bad breath on someone regardless of whether they themselves have had bad breath.

Maybe with the regular type of bad breath that most people get on occasion you will not really be able to detect it. Mine is a chronic problem that stays with me 24/7. Every single person I met so far has been able to smell it.

Also, even though my bad breath is chronic I don't really smell bad breath on other people. Only a few and they have the normal cases of it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people on here suffer from abnormal cases of bad breath that won't go away after we have tried so many things.
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

Brad123 wrote:I have read quite a few people on here who are severely depressed. How do you really know you have bad breath? Here is something I have proven to myself.

I have kept good notes on this, so I know the below findings to be factual to me.

Since I have been almost free from bad breath for the last four months, I have noticed I can't smell bad breath coming from anyone else.

I work in an office where we see 70 patients a day. Not one person's breath has smelled to me in the last four months.

Back when my breath smelled, I could literally smell bad breath on many patients.

So here are my findings.

1) If you cannot smell bad breath ever coming from other people, then your breath never smells.

2) If you can occasionally smell bad breath coming from other people, then your breath smells occasionally.

3) If you consistently smell bad breath coming from other people on a regular basis, then your breath smells most of the time.

4) If someone tells you that you have bad breath but you never smell bad breath from others, then you are not the one who has bad breath. The person telling you that you have bad breath is the one who has bad breath.

When you smell bad breath on other people, it is because you are smelling your breath reflected back to you in a stronger manner since your breath is mixed with air coming from the other person.

If you never smell bad breath on others, then your breath smells good.
I think there's some truth to that, but taken to its logical conclusion, only people with bad breath would smell bad breath. We know our bb affects people who have fresh breath, otherwise we wouldn't get the reactions.

I know I can smell my breath when it combines with other smells like the smell of rubber tires and certain people's breath. But most of the time I can't smell it even though I know other people can.
Tibya
Advanced

Post by Tibya »

Brad123,

While I search for all your posts , could you tell or direct me to your post or how you became BB free? Thnx
Brad123

Post by Brad123 »

Tibya wrote:Brad123,

While I search for all your posts , could you tell or direct me to your post or how you became BB free? Thnx
viewtopic.php?t=4726&highlight=
Last edited by Brad123 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

elliott wrote:
jess wrote:Brad123,
I find it weird but intriguing that I am not able to detect my own odor unless through someone else's exhaled clean breath. It's like it takes a chemical mixture of the two breaths for me to be able to smell mine.

And it's not just talking, in my case the air around me is tainted. If I've been sitting quietly in one place for awhile and someone walks by quickly and others are talking, I get a whiff of the air around me.

These days though, it's so bad that if I get up to walk to another area where lots of people are, mainly a closed area. The air that they are talking through is enough for me to be able to smell my own breath if that makes any sense.

It's a strange phenomena that probably should be looked further into.

This exactly. I knew I had bad breath several years ago, but it wasn't until the last year and a half or so that I could smell it myself, as my new job requires me to be in closer proximity to people than I ever had to be in before. I eventually realized that the fart smell I would sense in close quarters other others, was in fact me. And it's just as you say Elliot, even if someone else's breath isn't blown straight into my face, and say, I'm just moving near, where others were exhaling, I can smell it. One time, A kid jumped on my back, and though no one was in front of me, I smelled that exact same smell just the same.

Is this phenomenon not scientifically explained already? Are we pioneers here? It has nothing to do with psychology. This IS indeed happening, and it's the strangest thing.
deebo

Post by deebo »

Brad , i have to side with Aues . one on one i've heard this before ,but your math is too binary . have you met with groups of patients at the same time ? If so and your breath was bad , every person in the group would have bb with your logic . right ? Instead , for chronic room fillers ,many and sometimes all ppl in the room will react or comment

stick with the "mixing breath " theory for now .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic