Your Email Address:

First Name:

Antimicrobial benefit of low-pH

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
searching
Master
Re: :(

Post by searching »

alwayshoping wrote:Have been brushing with aspirin now for almost 2 weeks and no change for me.

I have been using Dispirin MAX which the pharmacist said ISNT COATED.. which to me meant non-buffered.

here is a link to the product, maybe you could see what you think? http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=3524
One way to test if your aspirin is, or is not, buffered, is to place it into a small, i.e. 1 or 2 ounces of a solution of water with some baking soda, i.e. sodium bicarbonate. If the tablet, when immersed, and dissolved, in the solution, releases gas bubbles, i.e. effervesces, it is likely not buffered as the salicylic acid is reacting with the baking soda, a weak base, and generating carbon dioxide gas.

Disprin appears to be buffered, i.e. near neutral pH, as listed in the ingredients seen here. The calcium carbonate is the neutralizing agent.
Last edited by searching on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

searching
Master
Post by searching »

foxhound wrote:can you tell how big the Asprin tablet should be, 100mg, 200mg, or 500 mg? Can you tell if this German "Bayer" brand is buffered or not?

http://www.medpex.de/aspirin-p3806873?g ... wA7w#ai300
I use a single tablet daily, that contains 325 milligrams of aspirin.

It appears that Bayer aspirin is not buffered as evidenced by the manufacturer’s data sheet seen here. The active ingredient is listed as aspirin, i.e. acetylsalicylic acid. The list of inactive ingredients appear to be binders, fillers, and coating, with no neutralizing base.
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

Thanks searching...
It's sad but I need coffee and wine to get me thru this life w bb. Otherwise I may be a hermit.

Been doing this for 2 days.
My tongue and mouth has always felt like it's fuming with bad air, even though I can never smell my breath. I just feel hot mouth that feels nasty.

I've been using generic CVS aspirin, which says comparable to Bayer.
My mouth feels balanced. Had 3 glasses of red wine last night and woke up with no fumes. Felt like I needed to brush, but no feeling of "I better keep the sewage mouth closed"

As I get braver I will test breath while talking. Ran a few errands yesterday and store clerks seemed unbothered. I can usually tell when they're thinking to themselves "gross!"
alwayshoping

Re: :(

Post by alwayshoping »

searching wrote:
alwayshoping wrote:Have been brushing with aspirin now for almost 2 weeks and no change for me.

I have been using Dispirin MAX which the pharmacist said ISNT COATED.. which to me meant non-buffered.

here is a link to the product, maybe you could see what you think? http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/product.asp?id=3524
One way to test if your aspirin is, or is not, buffered, is to place it into a small, i.e. 1 or 2 ounces of a solution of water with some baking soda, i.e. sodium bicarbonate. If the tablet, when immersed, and dissolved, in the solution, releases gas bubbles, i.e. effervesces, it is likely not buffered as the salicylic acid is reacting with the baking soda, a weak base, and generating carbon dioxide gas.

Disprin appears to be buffered, i.e. near neutral pH, as listed in the ingredients seen here. The calcium carbonate is the neutralizing agent.
Ahhh well I guess that's good news… now to find one that isn't… I am now trying SOLPRIN (http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=14885) - no idea whether it's buffered though, will have to buy some baking soda.

Thanks so much for looking into the Disprin. It's great that you still come on here and help us even though you have found your solution!! :)

I also received the Pepto Bismol in the mail today so will definitely give this method another good go.

Thanks Searching… :)
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

For those posting about their concerns about long term use of pep to bismol obviously do not have that serious of a problem. If you are plagued with horrid halitosis ,why would you care about the benign pep to bismol. Your bacteria in your mouth could make you MUCH sicker
aydinmur
God

Post by aydinmur »

Friends,
I advise, do not put Aspirin (or similar drug) in your mouth. It causes chemical burnings on your oral mucosal surfaces if you wait before swallow it.

On the other hand, I remember there are some studies on bismut prevents intestinal H2S especially in the terminal illeum.
-Murat Aydin
searching
Master
Post by searching »

It is agreed that neutral pH is least-likely to affect mucosa. Neutral pH is safest; and, low pH may be harmful.

Regarding acidic pH of medication contacting mucosa, the references below cite pH of some nasal sprays. Some formulations employ low pH to unblock nasal congestion or as a medication preservative.

1. pH range reported as 3.5 to 6, title: Formulation and Characterization of Nasal Sprays, seen here.
2. pH 2.5 using citric acid, title: Acidified Saline Nasal Spray Safe, Effective, seen here.

Listed pH of common foods, published by the United States Food & Drug Association, seen here, e.g. cranberry juice pH<3, orange juice pH<4.
mindyb
ungrateful trash

Post by mindyb »

I have doing the aspirin, crest toothpaste and a chewable pepto tab for one week.

1.) my mouth feels 90% balanced
2.) no noticeable reactions, add my young child kissing me on the lips on their own...when usually a hug was only given. Store clerks very friendly no reactions. Husbands body language says he's not noticing my bb either. He usually rubs nose or does not get super close when having talks. Pillow talk has been enjoyable and his body language is positive .
3.) I got a store bought tongue brush -Orabrush Tongue Cleaner, much gentler than a cut off old toothbrush.

That's all I can report. I don't swallow the aspirin, I'm sure a tiny bit does get in my system.
Keeping this routine up.
Thank you searching. Not 100% sure it's gone! but I feel way more confident and that is great.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Apart from the dental enamel issue, even if it does have a corrosive effect on the oral mucosa, as long as there's no visible signs or symptoms, I wonder how much it really matters? Putting it into perspective with other corrosive and potentially harmful products, I know what I'd be doing if it gave me the difference between living and not living. Searching, apart from the convenience aspect of using aspirin in this way, are there any alternatives that could do the same thing without these potential risks?

Does anyone know if there's any differences between chewable and non-chewable forms of Pepto Bismol?

Next time I'm at a supermarket I'm going to try some PB.
compor
Advanced
Post by compor »

I think I managed to obtain some crucial information, but I want to test it on myself first to make sure that it is working before I write it here.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

searching
Master
Post by searching »

halitosisux wrote:Apart from the dental enamel issue, even if it does have a corrosive effect on the oral mucosa, as long as there's no visible signs or symptoms, I wonder how much it really matters?

Searching, apart from the convenience aspect of using aspirin in this way, are there any alternatives that could do the same thing without these potential risks?

Does anyone know if there's any differences between chewable and non-chewable forms of Pepto Bismol?
In my case I've not yet found a superior substitute for non-buffered acetylsalicylic acid, i.e. aspirin. Corrosion to [my] oral mucosa does not appear to have occurred. It may be due to the rapid distribution and dilution of the aspirin as salivation accelerates when in use.

Regarding bismuth compounds, these have been working well for me. I’ve used them for many years and continue to do so. I buy the generic bismuth subsalicylate and swallow one (1) tablet or caplet whole [up to] twice daily, on an empty, or full, stomach. The chewable tablets are flavored, caplets non-flavored. Medicinally, they are the same. I haven't made a conclusive comparison of results that come from chewing versus ingesting them whole.

The information in the patent document, seen in your link, is consistent with my experience. It is likely that the ready availability of pre-existing over-the-counter bismuth compounds, e.g. Pepto Bismol™, in pharmacies and markets, prevents a new bismuth product from launching to manage BB.
Searching4cure
Total Newbie

Feeling cautiously optimistic

Post by Searching4cure »

This my first time posting, even I've lurked for many years under a different user name. Nevertheless, I'm on day 3 of this regimen. Still had reactions on day 2, but they seemed less severe. Today, I've not seen any reactions, but I've been quiet (my usual). I'm scared to test it. I will try to talk today though because that's the only way I'll know for sure. My mouth definitely feels cleaner. After reading the link above, I'm going to change my regimine to include 1 swallowed tablet in the morning and one at night. Currently I'm using the dissolvable and according to the article, that doesn't reach the gut. I'm praying and hoping this is it. I've had/done almost everything mentioned on this sight. I even had a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, sinus surgery, surgery on my deviated septum and polyps removed. I feel like I'm out of options. Thanks searching for finding this. Do you mind reminding me how long you've been using this regimine?
searching
Master
Re: Feeling cautiously optimistic

Post by searching »

Searching4cure wrote:searching ...how long you've been using this regimen?
I started about 8 years ago.

Best wishes in finding a method that works for you.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Searching, thanks for your reply. I would like to really get my head around the information in that patent document. It's encouraging to know that your results are consistent with what's mentioned in there.

I am certain I have a "predisposition" to suffer with BB. I have always presumed up until this point that this predisposition is my post nasal drip which I have had since as far back as I can remember. I have a deviated septum and one side of my nose is always clogged and inflamed. I presume this to be the cause of my excessive mucus. But, as we know, PND does not always result in BB for everyone, and some people can have very poor oral hygiene and get away with having clean breath. There has to be a predisposing factor for those of us who cannot ever manage to have a clean mouth/breath, even with the best possible oral hygiene practices and perfect condition of teeth/gums.

I am sure that for many of us, what goes on microbially in our gut is very likely to be this predisposing factor. Afterall, the same odourous chemicals can be produced in the gut as they can by the microbes in the mouth, but if (for whatever normal or abnormal reason) these chemicals from the gut are able to somehow find their way into our mouth via a pathway such as saliva/mucus, then this is where a lot of confusion and frustration can be occurring. Such odour could also be exiting the body via other secretions or through the lungs.

Even if bismuth in capsule form that reaches the gut can make even a slight difference to anyone's BB, then that can help point a person in the right directions at least.

Lots to think about and to experiment with.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic