Your Email Address:

First Name:

smelling your own breath

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
smileguy

smelling your own breath

Post by smileguy »

I have found away of smelling my own breath.In the mornig when I wake up first thing I do is go tothe kitchen and get a glass of cold water half full.I keep my mouth closed and stick my nose over the brim of the glass and breathe out of my nose into the water.The air bounces back in my face and no smell.Next I open my mouth and put my bottom lip resting on the brim of the glass and blow the smell came back but it wasnt pleasant.I actually laudhed because maybe now I cant start trying different ways of getting rid of bad breath and just test my breath that way.Other people should try it and see if they get the same thing.I know this sounds weird but it was actually a relief that I could smell myu breath.
The first thing Iam going to do is get my tonsils lasered so I will let you know how it goes

LJ
Junior

smelling the breath

Post by LJ »

Hi:
I'm able to detect my odor many ways, but I have done it when I have picked up an empty cup to drink and found that the odor was detectible.
We have to know what we smell like, even if it is tortorous for us. It's vital information that can tell us when it's worse or better. The best source would be to ask someone else, that's the most reliable. But at the same time, believe me, if you want to you can smell your own bad breath.
I find I can smell it prominently in the car with either the heater on, or after I have been running the air conditioning and turn it off with the fan on. Check it out, you'll find that it works.
I also can smell it in the shower, when i get into the steamy area and open a shampoo bottle with it's fragrant aroma, the bad breath just stands out.
And outside on a breeze that comes by, I often detect it then. And if I turn my head from side to side quickly I often get a whiff.
Also, I can smell myself on the breath of others. Either everyone else has bb or it's me, and I am confident it is me. I hear people with bb often say I smelled bb on someone else. Well that might not be true. It's likely that it's your own breath your smelling mixed in with there smell.
I had a friend over and I kept smelling the toilet smell, and I thought, gee he has bb just like mine. Then I went in for the close up while he was talking and there was nothing there. It was me that I was smelling.
So, it's a good thing and a bad thing. The bad part is when I have to go out knowing exactly how bad I smell. But at the same time I would rather know myself then rely just on other people. Lj
Ice
Advanced

hey

Post by Ice »

well it isn't easy and reliable ....those methods how to smell ur own breath...
because sometimes u can't smell it, and u think I'm OK, untill someone tells u ure wrong!yes I notice when I am talking to someone, my breath mixes with their and I often thought it was their breath, but it was mine, but when I'm alone I don't smell it, well enough about that, because what does it help u?Not much!

anyway man let us know how the laser operation went!
Good luck [-o<

Post by Guest »

I'm jealous of you guys, LJ and smileguy, because I have a hard time smelling my own bb. Could it be due to sinus problems? I'm also a mouth-breather when I sleep at night. Could that contribute to bb?

By the way, what is your daily oral hygiene routine? What specific toothpaste, rinse, etc. do you use? Therabreath hasn't been effective for me, but I still find myself reaching for it everyday. I have found that when I use household brands like Crest and Colgate, it tends to make matters worse.
LJ
Junior

smelling the breath

Post by LJ »

HI:
I think really that being able to smell your own odor is something that can help in the way that asking someone all the time can lead to irritation on the part of the smeller.
I've found it to be very reliable, I guess mostly because my breath is always bad, but I can tell just how bad it is before I go out in the world. My methods have worked for me for years, as I've gotten tired of asking friends and family what I smell like.
As far as a routine, I've been through all the mouthwashes and toothpastes, and now I basically just brush, floss, brush my tongue with water in the morning and then I use a prescribed flouride gel at night to make sure my teeth are being taken care of.
I went to the dentist recently for a cleaning and after I was done she said to rinse my mouth with listerine. I did, and when I got back into the car, instead of having fresher breath, it was dog like and worse.
Alcohol dries out the mouth and makes matters worse, just like SLS they put in toothpastes. If you have a sinus condition that makes you breath out of your mouth, then, I would suspect, yes, it has an effect on your bad breath.
Dry mouth may not be the cause of the bad breath, but it does make it worse. I've known a couple people with Sjoergen's disease, they have no saliva, and their breath was fine. I did after talking to them start using artifical saliva products to keep my mouth moist, but after several months of that, I just quit because it didn't work.
And then I tried the saliva stimulating medication. It's a pill that causes you to produce more saliva. I tell you I was drooling like a dog, I had so much saliva in my mouth. It was almost too much. However, the disappointment was that even with increased saliva, river like, squirting at times, it did nothing for my bad breath. I was sure it would solve the problem too.
so, dry mouth and bad breath don't necessarily go hand in hand, but dryness does intensify the odors that are already established.
I would go to an ENT and make sure that you don't have any sort of infection in your sinuses. LJ

Post by Guest »

Hi LJ,

You mentioned your recent dentist appt... have you consulted with him/she about your condition?
gregory
Total Newbie

Post by gregory »

I cup my hands and breath then smell
badtimes

Post by badtimes »

has anyone else tried this cup method???
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic