Your Email Address:

First Name:

A little improvement after almost a decade of halitosis

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Rin
Total Newbie

A little improvement after almost a decade of halitosis

Post by Rin »

Hello. I'm just new here. Like you, I used to read comments from different forums to search for the cure to this embarrassing 'curse'. My case of halitosis started when I was 14 (already turning 24 in the next few months).
First, I've tried strong mouthwashes, only made it worse. It dries the mouth plus the alcohol in it adds a certain 'smell' after few hours. Next, I went to the dentist, oral health was okay (although I can smell that the bb comes from my gums sometimes, laser treatment is too expensive). Third, I tried probiotics, didn't notice a significant effect since I only tried it for a month. And then, I also tried chlorophyll supplements, didn't help a lot. I was too frustrated and depressed already. The words I've heard, I don't want to repeat them anymore. I had suicidal thoughts. I've even developed agoraphobia since I don't want to go outside anymore. I have panic attacks whenever I need to get out and meet with people. I'm 23 and unemployed. I felt so useless.

But, a little improvement have happened. My halitosis is not that worst anymore. I don't 'drool' in my pillow in the morning anymore (that's gross I know, sorry for that). That actually happens whenever I eat junk foods. I focused on my diet. I've read somewhere that removing dairy, wheat, beans and some citrus fruits in your diet, lessens the severity of halitosis.

I don't smoke and drink alcohol. I'm not a coffee drinker too.

What I've avoided eating recently:
-bread, cookies, anything with wheat/gluten in it
-dairy (particularly milk, butter, cheese and eggs)
-citrus (orange and lemons, etc.)
-onions and garlic (in the Philippines, our food are usually cooked with these, I started preparing my own food and omit these two)
-canned goods
-junk foods
-seasoning/artificial flavors

Haha what else could I eat after avoiding these. What a life.

At present, what I do:
- drink water after waking up
- after few minutes, I eat two-three pieces of banana. The banana that I'm eating is a local variety. It is usually fried or boiled. But I eat it raw, added alkalinity for the body.
- my lunch usually includes veggies, cabbage, bell pepper, greens.. I include fish sometimes (but I make sure that those came from the sea, 'cause most kinds of fish sold in the 'talipapa' (mini market) are harvested from fish pens, they're not that healthy to eat). I seldom eat chicken. I also eat small portions of pork sometimes, but no beef at all. Meats are included in the 'acidic' type of food. Red meat will contribute to halitosis, especially beef.
- I eat cooked rice, (2-3 cups per day, that's where I get my carbohydrates)
- again, I don't eat anything with garlic and onions (I know they are good for the body, but when I stopped eating those, I don't even have to use deodorant sometimes, ah it's freaking hot here and you'll sweat like hell, but now, no body odor at all)
-drink enough water (no alcohol, coffee, milk, juices) tea is okay
- I eat fruits for snack, bananas(again), avocado, ..watermelon, papaya, strawberries are good too (avocado is an alkaline food, I've read that we must reduce eating acid-forming foods, and should increase eating alkaline-rich foods).
- I don't take medicines too often. Antibiotics are really not good for the body. It kills both the bad and good bacteria. Some people have written that their halitosis started after taking antibiotics for a certain period.

For hygiene:
- brush teeth and gums, scrape the tongue
- I'm using a mouthwash, a local brand (I won't mention the brand anymore). It only has 3 ingredients: purified water, stabilized chlorine dioxide and peppermint flavor). I love it because it doesn't have the 'sting' effect. No harsh chemicals, sugar and alcohol that dries the mouth.
- whenever I eat anything, I take water and do swish motions to clean my teeth with any food that was stuck in it.

Next month, I'm making my own toothpaste. I found a homemade toothpaste recipe that includes, coconut oil, baking soda, stevia/xylitol and peppermint. I've noticed that my bb gets worse sometimes after I brush. Maybe it's the soap content (sodium lauryl sulfate) of the toothpaste.

I'll update once I try using it. Hoping that this long post helps you even a bit. I know what it feels like, so I'll try to help even how small it is.

Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

Dude, I'm gonna back you up on this.

My bb improved a bit after following the same diet: No gluten, no grain/rice etc.., no dairy, no sugar. Basically a Paleo diet if you will. I stay away from canned food and unhealthy food. I do eat chicken, fish, but I try to avoid red meat.

I'm not cured, but I definitely feel an improvement.

Now on top of this, I don't use toothpaste, I use miswak or earthpaste. I scrape my tongue. I don't use any mouthwash. Sometimes I use an essential oil blend if I feel that my breath stinks. I also oil pull EVERY morning and it is super helpful.

I used to wake up in the morning with a heavily white coated tongue. I was able to control that, and my breath in the morning tremendously improved and I don't have a thick layer on my tongue anymore. What I did was I stopped eating after 6pm and I drink DETOX tea (Yogi) everyday. When my naturopath told me to drink detox tea I was very doubtful.. but it does work.
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

Trunks99 wrote:Dude, I'm gonna back you up on this.

My bb improved a bit after following the same diet: No gluten, no grain/rice etc.., no dairy, no sugar. Basically a Paleo diet if you will. I stay away from canned food and unhealthy food. I do eat chicken, fish, but I try to avoid red meat.

Now on top of this, I don't use toothpaste, I use miswak or earthpaste. I scrape my tongue. I don't use any mouthwash. Sometimes I use an essential oil blend if I feel that my breath stinks. I also oil pull EVERY morning and it is super helpful.

I used to wake up in the morning with a heavily white coated tongue. I was able to control that, and my breath in the morning tremendously improved and I don't have a thick layer on my tongue anymore. What I did was I stopped eating after 6pm and I drink DETOX tea (Yogi) everyday. When my naturopath told me to drink detox tea I was very doubtful.. but it does work.
what kind of oil do you use for oil pulling? can i use any type?
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

somethinstinks wrote:
Trunks99 wrote:Dude, I'm gonna back you up on this.

what kind of oil do you use for oil pulling? can i use any type?
I use coconut oil. It has antibacterial properties. I have very sensitive gums and it helps a lot.
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

Trunks99 wrote: I use coconut oil. It has antibacterial properties. I have very sensitive gums and it helps a lot.
is there a specific type of coconut oil i should buy? I am looking at cococare 100% coconut oil but on the site it says: "Ideal for use on hair & skin

Warnings

For external use only. Keep away from children."

Can I use this since it says external use only? or am i supposed to be looking for a different type of coconut oil? Thanks Im looking to try this asap.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

somethinstinks wrote:
Trunks99 wrote: I use coconut oil. It has antibacterial properties. I have very sensitive gums and it helps a lot.
is there a specific type of coconut oil i should buy? I am looking at cococare 100% coconut oil but on the site it says: "Ideal for use on hair & skin

Warnings

For external use only. Keep away from children."

Can I use this since it says external use only? or am i supposed to be looking for a different type of coconut oil? Thanks Im looking to try this asap.
I use raw organic coconut oil (Whole Kernel) from Dr Bronner: https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/category/COCONUTOIL.html

You can use other brands but make sure it's raw, organic, and pure.
Sandy.H
Total Newbie

Post by Sandy.H »

I'm backing you both on this too !

I made my peace with the fact that my body is not as strong as others and can't properly get rid of all the crappy food that we eat. But it's ok because in the end, i'll live longer and won,t have as many health issues as others will because of the diet they are following. Now I eat for health not for taste. And you feel SOOOOO much better :) Every day is a little better, i feel that my body is healing. This is what I do.

-I drink 2,5 liters of water per day ( im a female, around 120 pound)
-I only eat veggies, fruit, fish and some grain (no gluten) but rarely
-I floss, brush my teeth and tongue
-I do the oil pulling with coconut oil for 20-30 min every morning as I get ready
-I take a VERY good probiotic before going to sleep
-I do yoga and practice deep breathing ( stress is Extremely harmful to the body) and in our case is really important, helps with the anxiety

It's been a WEEK and my breath is cured at 70%. and getting a little better with each day :) Plus, i really like this lifestyle, It give you sooo much energy and vitality. And I love fruit! Treat your body like a temple.

I just want to add one thing. In my opinion, you need to change you alimentation !. Even if you get rid of your adenoid or anything else, It's going to come back, it got infected for a reason in the first place....I plan to remove my adenoid because they are infected, but im also getting rid of the reason why they got infected......

Ok, take care :) !
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

Sandy.H wrote:I'm backing you both on this too !

I made my peace with the fact that my body is not as strong as others and can't properly get rid of all the crappy food that we eat. But it's ok because in the end, i'll live longer and won,t have as many health issues as others will because of the diet they are following. Now I eat for health not for taste. And you feel SOOOOO much better :) Every day is a little better, i feel that my body is healing. This is what I do.

-I drink 2,5 liters of water per day ( im a female, around 120 pound)
-I only eat veggies, fruit, fish and some grain (no gluten) but rarely
-I floss, brush my teeth and tongue
-I do the oil pulling with coconut oil for 20-30 min every morning as I get ready
-I take a VERY good probiotic before going to sleep
-I do yoga and practice deep breathing ( stress is Extremely harmful to the body) and in our case is really important, helps with the anxiety

It's been a WEEK and my breath is cured at 70%. and getting a little better with each day :) Plus, i really like this lifestyle, It give you sooo much energy and vitality. And I love fruit! Treat your body like a temple.

I just want to add one thing. In my opinion, you need to change you alimentation !. Even if you get rid of your adenoid or anything else, It's going to come back, it got infected for a reason in the first place....I plan to remove my adenoid because they are infected, but im also getting rid of the reason why they got infected......

Ok, take care :) !
Thanks for chipping in :)

I can't agree more w/your last paragraph.
And I also feel more energetic. In fact, I've been working out a little more than usual and I'm sure it is a contributing factor to increasing my vitality.

What probiotic are you taking?

You should try a DETOX tea for a month or so. As I mentioned on one of my previous posts, it really does help. And I try to not eat too much and give my digestive tract some rest (kinda like the 80:20 diet).
Also, juicing a good amount of ginger w/carrots (has to burn a bit) seems to help too.

Don't hesitate to share more tips!
Sandy.H
Total Newbie

Post by Sandy.H »

Hey trunks99.

For my probiotic i use Bio-K. 50 billion. The non-dairy kind.

I will try the detox tea for sure, thank you :D, I juice a lot of ginger too! haha Looks like we are on the same path. I try to eat a lot of pineapple too, it has an enzyme called bromelain that is really good to cure bad breath, and it also kills a lot of the bad bacteria in the stomach and reduce inflammation in the body ( including the sinus). A read an article about a woman who cured her cancer with pineapple :P She ate 2 whole pineapple a day among other things. So I thought if this cures cancers... why not halitosis .So I did some research about pineapple and halitosis, and thats how i found out. Maybe people already know this, but anything to help :)
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

I ordered Closys, coconut oil for pulling and detox tea today. Hoping it helps
angst-ridden
Advanced

Post by angst-ridden »

Hello there! We're from the same country. How does your BB smell like? Because we all know that cures can be very varied, it's not a "one size fits all" type of thing.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

Hey Sandy,

Thanks for the tips. I hope the DETOX tea works for you. I will start including pineapple into my diet :)

I stopped using probiotics and I use this instead: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Schulzes-Intes ... B000X1U6EQ
It works wonder.

I also take few more supplements from Standard Process (it's a brand).

We are indeed on the same path. I juice ginger almost daily and sometimes I juice turmeric roots too (antibacterial) and mix the two w/carrots.

@somethinstinks: I hope it helps.
Trunks99
Advanced

Post by Trunks99 »

somethinstinks wrote:I ordered Closys, coconut oil for pulling and detox tea today. Hoping it helps
Any improvement somethinstinks?
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

Trunks99 wrote:
somethinstinks wrote:I ordered Closys, coconut oil for pulling and detox tea today. Hoping it helps
Any improvement somethinstinks?
didnt want to jump the gun, but Ive been using closys toothpaste, mouthwash for almost a month and I feel it is helping. Pretty certain im still suffering but I think to a lesser degree (I don't have anyone that i confide in about my breath, just testing/responses from those around me). Im also using the detox tea; not sure if it does anything for my bb, but I figure why not. I am still in the "testing" phase with closys, which is why I havent tried pulling yet. I didnt want to start all of it at the same time and then have no idea what helped and what didnt.

In short I think Closys is helping (if youre thinking about trying it I'd advise you to), but to be fair, theres been other things I thought were working only to eventually be disappointed. I will update again
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic