Your Email Address:

First Name:

Like To Meet Someone in NYC With Same Problem

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
MyhopeSomeday25

Like To Meet Someone in NYC With Same Problem

Post by MyhopeSomeday25 »

Hello, I would like to meet someone with a similar problem like me. For many years I felt I had horrendous bad breath. It's like one day everything changed. People started to hold their nose around me tightly, make bad smell faces etc.. It made me a hermit .. I loss many friends cause I did not want to be embarrassed. I went to ENT, Dentist and Gastro and all tell me they smell nothing. Well after many years of being a hermit, my family decided that I needed to seek treatment ... I went to a psychologist who told me it's all a delusion...it's in my head. My family tells me the same thing. They don't smell anything. Yet, I still see people holding their noses around me CONSTANTLY. I don't even get out much but those times I do..there they are holding their nose like a dead body pass by. Anyone feel like this? It's driving me nuts. My psychologist said I will live in this cloud of craziness unless I meet people and gain opinions other than family. So anyone like to meet get together by ourselves or as a group?? i'm a 28 year old african american female who lives in yonkers.. Willing to meet anywhere in nyc or westchester... PM or leave a message here.. appreciate it :)

StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Re: Like To Meet Someone in NYC With Same Problem

Post by StillHoping »

I feel your pain Myhope! I'm also on the verge to see a therapist at this point. I went to a Chinese Medicine Clinic last week and same thing - she looked at me like I was crazy and claims I don't have BB. Even though my mouth tasted bad and I felt I could smell it.

Also, I have met 3 people from this forum and couldn't smell anything on one another each time. If you do have a meetup, PLEASE post an update after of your results. Cuz it seems like every meetup; no one detects bb. Yet we ALL keep getting reactions in our normal lives. Soo either we are all crazy or I don't even know...
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
MyhopeSomeday25

Thanks so much for replying stillhoping.. it is a terrible way to live life. It's like you see the reactions. You see them holding their nose like they smelt the worse thing known to man yet family tells otherwise. I had a session with my therapist this morning and again she told me I have no bad breath and people touch their nose for different reasons... but yet for the rest of the day today all I saw was weird reactions. The worse today. I went into a small candy store to play a lotto and two men were in front on line.. I was in back of them. They were already being attended to so the man behind the counter said "what you like"?.. i said a lotto.. the man in front of the line immediately put both hands to his nose.. i know people sometimes put their hand to their nose but not like that. It makes me feel awful and terrible about myself.. this happens constantly..

That is so weird you met three times and yall can't smell each other. Maybe that is a good sign for you as you met three strangers that said you don't smell. if you live in nyc.. i sure like to meet. Maybe people need to meet on multiple occasions after different situations like eating.. drinking coffee and such. I use to think food was my trigger but I had a colonoscopy tuesday and all the food I had was washed away so my colon can be cleaned so the doctor can see. But when I went to registered to get ready to have the colonoscopy.. the secretary put his hand to his nose. I had no food in my colon.. so it must be something else.. it's sad to be this way...
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

It is very weird indeed! I am leaning towards the possibility that my bb is intermittent. The problem is though when I went to the Chinese Natural Doctor, my breath smelled very bad to myself. The doctor had no reason to lie; if anything - she would probably have wanted me to have bb soo that she could easily have set me up on the treatment and make money! Soo the question is -what the heck is it that I'm smelling? or is it possible that whatever I'm smelling does not smell bad to others? But ofcourse that does NOT explain all the reactions I get regularly. Just like you; this is the one thing I know for a fact - these reactions are not "normal". Also, at the meetups, we made sure to eat and after a couple of hours we breathed directly in each others faces and still didn't smell anything. I even had coleslaw with onions in them!! :-k

I'm not from New York but one of the meetups I went to was in NY cuz I happened to be visiting; and the 2 other ppl that came live close to NY. Soo maybe they can see this post, and you can all set something up?

One question - when you go to see your therapist; do you see her first thing in the morning - shortly after brushing? or later in the day? Cuz it might help to go see her at a time that you think your breath is at its worst
MyhopeSomeday25

It's almost like some people can pick up on the smell right away and others don't. i use to wonder maybe some people have a keen sense of smell. Cause at one point I can be next to someone and no reaction and then someone else act as if the smell the worse thing in the world. I have been seeing my psychologist for nearly a year at all times.. as early as 9:am and as late as 3:00pm. when I first went to her I was afraid to eat so i use to see her without having any meals.. Then she noticed food may be my trigger point. So one time we went out to eat at dunkin donuts and I was right next to her and she smelled nothing. Then I built up the courage to eat 2 hours before seeing her. I gobbled down my fear foods such as coffee, fast food, milk. Then i tried eating 30 minutes ahead of time. She has yet to smell anything from me.. Well, today i'm seeing a psychiatrist.. it be interesting to get a new point of view. But I hate the waiting room period, it drives me nuts sitting there waiting wondering if the person next to me can smell me or not. I have gained panic attacks from this problem. I can't get myself to be around strangers for too long or I start to hyperventilate ... Just the thought they think I don't take care of myself hurts me to the core.. it hurts so bad :cry:
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Thats horrible how you feel; all you can do is try to stay positive as much as possible or else it will just make things worse! What did the new psychiatrist have to say?
MyhopeSomeday25

Thanks Stillhoping :).. I try to stay as positive as I can.. sometimes I cry myself to sleep and then some days I sit and smile and is thankful for the positive things in my life. So, I saw a psychiatrist today.. I prepared and decided to face my fears and eat foods that I think are causing my problems.. i had breakfast.. eggs, waffles, bacon and ice coffee... then a mug full of hot coffee with lots of creamers lol.. I did this 3 hours ahead so food has time to digest and swim in my belly. i sat in the waiting room with 6 people.. so far no weird looks.. maybe because i'm actually looking.. not sure. he called me into his office.. I sat really close to him and explained my problem crying of course. He said he does not smell anything. He said it's really unrealistic to have room filling bad breath to some degree. He said he never came across a person where he can smell their breath feet away. He said if so it's very rare. He told me it's amazing cause he has been treating a woman with the same condition for the past several months and she has changed her life and became a nurse. he said the slightest hand to the nose by someone triggers my emotions. He said when someone is doing anything in that nature I just automatically assume its because of my breath. he is not sure as of yet but said some instances I explained are a delusion.. he said if I want to get better I have to accept that it's all in my head. i told him..could it be some can actually smell me? or maybe it's certain foods, or stress that forces my bad breath out? He said, where is it now? But I said it's so real. I see them clutch their nose all the time. He said it's in my head. Just wow, now two health care professionals are saying i'm coo coo for cocoa puff I guess lol.. He prescribed my meds to keep my panic attacks down. He said he will help me through this and he specialize in situations like this. i guess i will see how this plays out. When i do see someone touch their nose.. Maybe I will ask is it me to confirm it or not.. crazy isn't it??? :oops:
MyhopeSomeday25

Wanted to add that maybe imaginary Halitosis is more common than the medical world can imagine? Just the thought it's in our heads is so weird because it feels so real. What we see is real yet people tell us otherwise... Maybe we need to go on Dr. Oz or Dr Phil to get this strengthen out once and for all :) ...
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Have you ever had someone tell you straight up that you had BB before? In my case, I definitely know I had BB as it had been confirmed by people and I got "bullied" about it when I was in school. The question for me now is whether it may have somehow disappeared over the past couple of years and I just wasn't aware about it. But it does not explain all the reactions I still get and what I smell.

In your case though, if no one has ever told you that your breath smells, then yes I would say there is a good chance you might be experiencing halitophobia. Especially since your family and these professionals are all saying the same thing - that you don't have it.
MyhopeSomeday25

The closes to someone letting me know I had BB was close to where this nightmare began. I was working as a cashier at a supermarket and this older lady was on line.. I was telling her about some deals in the store and packing her grocery bags. She said to me "you are very sweet". She always has candy in her purse she told me. She then goes "here some cause you are going to really need it" ... I thought it was strange.. Then I started noticing people looking grossed out when I talked.. then it slowly progressed to me not even opening my mouth and I would get looks. I stand on line and people within a 1 minute turn around and look in disgust at me. But no one out right told me my breath stinks. But I do feel that same way that maybe i did indeed had bb and somehow over the years it's been cured but I had no idea. The thing is with me, I have never smelt my breath ever... so it's hard to tell if and when I have BB... which makes it frustrating.
blessedrich

Post by blessedrich »

MyhopeSomeday25 wrote:Wanted to add that maybe imaginary Halitosis is more common than the medical world can imagine? Just the thought it's in our heads is so weird because it feels so real. What we see is real yet people tell us otherwise... Maybe we need to go on Dr. Oz or Dr Phil to get this strengthen out once and for all :) ...
And imaginary Halitosis can actually lead to real halitosis because when you get stress out you body does not function properly and you get dry mouth and you problem which may have been a little stink now because really stinky. I try to reduces stress on my daily commute and that helps alot. I put on my huge headphones and cover face my with my hat and bury my face in my cell phone. I get in my own zone when i get on the train and this reduces the reaction or at least I don't hear them to mess us my day before it even starts.
MyhopeSomeday25

I do wonder being overly stressed and anxious release it. I hate to work out or do workouts outside and stuff in fear that it's causes my breath to smell.. Like stillhoping.. i think it's inter mitten ...like something triggers it.. I know despite what my therapist says. People like you are brave Rich but for me it hurts so much. I can't even remember the last time I have taken public transportation .. My subway and bus is my car lol.. When people get close I panic really bad. The medicine I got kinda calm me down today cause I went out and got a oil change for my car and sat in a room with 2 people and I was surprised I was not crawling the walls to leave.
steffna
Junior

Post by steffna »

[quote="StillHoping"]Have you ever had someone tell you straight up that you had BB before? In my case, I definitely know I had BB as it had been confirmed by people and I got "bullied" about it when I was in school. The question for me now is whether it may have somehow disappeared over the past couple of years and I just wasn't aware about it. But it does not explain all the reactions I still get and what I smell.

hi StillHoping, this is months old but I just felt like joining the conversation. I'm sorry and I understand about the bullying thing, because I got bullied too constantly, also at college. My flatmate was so rude and would make comments even in front of others, who all cracked jokes about going to the dentist etc. As if I didn't know or I did it on purpose to be born like that. With family members it's better because they somehow get used to you and can't smell you like others do. Also, as you said, it could be that BB can be intermittent, sometimes really bad, others manageable. I can speak for myself only, and I can smell it and taste all the time. Especially at the back of my throat ( As 99% of sufferers ) And my rooms just smells like I do, very frustrating since I I'm a very clean person.
I hope you're coping, it's hard but at least I have never known a different reality. So yeah I kinda feel robbed of my "potential" life. But you can't miss what you never had, I guess. Keep fighting.
Sunny
Total Newbie

Post by Sunny »

Hello Dear,
I can feel your pain, very similar story to mine as well. I am gradually sliding from a very jolly extrovert to an introvert, all happening within 2 years. I will be coming to NY for a follow-up treatment which I started in January. bb has changed my life. I cant love, I cant live all bcos of bb.
I will spend one week in NY(New Rochelle) - Delaware, you can hola me on whatsapp +14734038797.
I feel miserable, how can I do my job as a teacher.... :cry:
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

steffna wrote: hi StillHoping, this is months old but I just felt like joining the conversation. I'm sorry and I understand about the bullying thing, because I got bullied too constantly, also at college. My flatmate was so rude and would make comments even in front of others, who all cracked jokes about going to the dentist etc. As if I didn't know or I did it on purpose to be born like that. With family members it's better because they somehow get used to you and can't smell you like others do. Also, as you said, it could be that BB can be intermittent, sometimes really bad, others manageable. I can speak for myself only, and I can smell it and taste all the time. Especially at the back of my throat ( As 99% of sufferers ) And my rooms just smells like I do, very frustrating since I I'm a very clean person.
I hope you're coping, it's hard but at least I have never known a different reality. So yeah I kinda feel robbed of my "potential" life. But you can't miss what you never had, I guess. Keep fighting.
Hi Steffna, sorry to hear you went through all that also. It was definitely a horrendous way to grow up - soo sad to think of all what I missed out on because of this problem. When people are rude to you like that, its best to try to overlook it because they are simply ignorant and unfortunately there is no information out there teaching people that true halitosis is usually not even due to bad hygiene. I've seen some of your posts, and your case is very similar to mines. Have you tried drinking apple cider vinegar? Usually bad taste is due to some sort of acidity/ reflux issues. What are the things you presently do as part of your daily routine?

This year, I am focusing on internal possibilities and I am leaning more towards acid reflux being the main problem. The things I do right now - avoid bad foods [dairy, carbs, sugar, still trying to give up alcohol], take anti-acids meds, drinking a glass of water with a tablespoon of ACV in the morning and carry around a litre of water with a teaspoon of ACV all day at work, I try to eat small meals throughout the day [bb is worse if I go too many hours without eating].
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic