Your Email Address:

First Name:

Cured

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Attraction
Advanced

Cured

Post by Attraction »

- - -

TL;DR AT BOTTOM

- - -

Take this with a grain of salt. It hasn't been long & we all know how bad breath likes to come back.

With that said, I am cured!

It all started back in 2011. I was at school when one of my good friends starts telling me over and over: "Your breath smells like SHIT!" (verbatim)

I had no idea why, until 6 months later when I coughed up a yellow clump of "stuff", and couldn't help to notice it SMELLED EXACTLY LIKE FECES.

From this moment on, every morning I would remove the tonsil stones from each tonsil and brush very well, especially right before going outside. I did not use mouthwash (should have) or floss. My breath probably still smelled, but I did have a social life.

However, as time went on it got worse. Each passing year, my bad breath increased. By 2013 I would always need to carry gum, and even that did not fully cover the smell.

By 2015, there was absolutely no hope of covering the smell for even 5 minutes. Nothing could stop it. In early 2016 I overheard a comment from someone in French (I speak French, but live in an English country so he assumed I didn't) "(laughing) This guy's breath smells like SHIT!"

The worst part about it was not the comment itself, but that only 1 minute prior I had brushed my teeth and tongue and gargled Listerine.

This proves how bad my breath was. If I walked into a basketball court, it would take less than 10 minutes for the air to smell like actual crap.

To make matters worse, I finally went to the ENT who scheduled a tonsillectomy for me. This might sound like great news, and it is! Although you will not believe what happened the VERY NEXT DAY. I woke up and my whole room smelled... different than ever before. It was a distinct, musty odor the likes of which I knew was not "normal". Because I was already on this forum I knew about TMAU and assumed the worst. I decided to wait a few days to be sure, and sure enough all day I smelled and every morning I woke up to the same terrible odor and my blanket even smelled like fish. SEVEN YEARS, THE DAY AFTER MY TONSILLECTOMY GETS SCHEDULED, I GET TMAU...

This was a nightmare because I finally thought that the tonsillectomy would permanently cure me. Now I freaking have TMAU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

The main thing with TMAU is there is no cure. It is a genetic disorder, and I knew I would never be able to get rid of it. Now, some of you might be thinking this is "too bad to be true"... well listen to this. A few days after first waking up to the smell, I went to get some blood tests for H. Pylori. The small hallway stunk up very quick. A guy sitting close to me was reading a newspaper. 15 minutes later his wife came and asked him (IN FRENCH): "What is that smell?!" to which he replies (IN FRENCH): "It is the fat guy over there."

Yes, I am obese. In fact, I have since lost 50 pounds from that moment. Anyway, I was the only fat one there so he was obviously talking about me.

P.S. The H. Pylori came out negative.

You might be wondering at this point how I am cured if I have TMAU. Well, I had this feeling inside that I must Google how to cure TMAU. The very first result is a thread where someone says they were cured with Kelp+Zinc. Now, many people make claims which usually turn out to be false, but this thread has hundreds of replies over 3 years and the OP seemed very legit. So I went ahead and ordered these supplements without any expectations. However, 1 week after starting on them - the odor disappeared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the most miraculous thing to ever happen to me aside from being born and discovering God.

If I stop taking these supplements for just 2 days, the odor returns.

So now that I had cured my TMAU (thank God it only took 3 weeks!), it was time to seriously focus on my oral health. I had not been to a dentist in 7 years. Furthermore, I have severe deficiencies with enamel (the stuff that protects your teeth from getting cavities, etc.). It turns out I had 3 cavities + 1 root canal infection + 4 rotten Wisdom Teeth. I would need a root canal treatment, wisdom teeth removal, and cavity treatment.

We started with the Root Canal. Everything went smoothly. A few days after I noticed that my tonsils were were lighter pink and noticeably healthier-looking. This was a great sign. My mouth also felt better overall, and there was about 20% reduction of my bad breath (still couldn't talk to anyone, though).

2 weeks later I got the Wisdom Teeth pulled. Unfortunately I am currently travelling, or I would post pictures of them. THEY ARE DISGUSTING AND BLACK AND THERE ARE HOLES IN ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are so badly decayed I knew as soon as seeing them that my breath would improve... and it did. It got another 30% better (total: 50%). At this point I could actually go 1 hour without any reactions. If you think about it, that is a life-changing experience for someone who previously could not go even 1 minute.

All the gums under and behind my Wisdom Teeth had been infected. My mouth felt extremely clean. Like the infection just got wiped out.

All that was left was the tonsillectomy. Just 8 days later, they got removed. This was 10 days ago. I instantly felt like it worked, but of course due to antibiotics it is difficult to know until the effect wears off. I have been off them for 3 days now and I did not brush my teeth for hours and I did a finger test and can't smell anything at all. Before it always smelled like feces. Now, nothing.

If it turns out I am not cured 100%, it is still worth noting that these procedures CURED ME. My bad breath is at worse 20% now of what it was. With long-term good oral hygiene and getting the other cavities fixed (still have 2 or 3 more small ones), it should get even better.

What do we learn from this case?

GO TO THE DENTIST EVERY 6 MONTHS!!!

I cannot stress this enough. If I had just went to the dentist back in 2012, none of this would have happened. Instead I had 7 years of hell, lost all my friends and became isolated. Thankfully I make money online... I do not know how I would have got by with a social job... it would be impossible. Actually, after my root canal I did work for 1 day with 0 reactions as I carried my tongue scraper, strong mints and bottled water to sip every minute.

I quit after 1 day because I am not used to being around other people anymore, it was too hard.

So there you have it. I am confident enough to say my bad breath is ~80% cured. I can now go outside for over 1 hour, without getting any reactions. A simple tongue-scrape and brushing is enough. If I get a job, I will brush each break and will be OK.

As mentioned in the beginning, take this with a grain of salt. It has only been 3 days since I stopped taking the antibiotics after my tonsillectomy. With that said, there is no doubt in my mind my bad breath is 80% cured at this point. With good oral hygiene I should be able to work a normal job, participate in social activities, etc. going forward without any reactions. Thank you for reading. I hope this helps even just 1 person.

- - -

TL;DR

Causes of my bad breath:

(in order of when they occurred)

No dentist visit for 7 years (2010 - December 2016)
Tonsil stones (2011 - January 2017)
Infected tonsils (2011 - January 2017)
Infected gums (2013 - January 2017)
Poor oral hygiene (2013 - January 2017)
4 rotten wisdom teeth (2013 - January 2017)
Root canal infection (2015 - January 2017)
3 cavities (2015-current)
TMAU (2016-current)

letsgetcured

Re: Cured

Post by letsgetcured »

So basically the kelp and zinc only help with body odor.
I'm convinced I have TMAU (with no body odor, just odor from urine and HORRIBLE breath).
I just ordered kelp, zinc, and chlorophyll thinking that it would help with breath :(
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

letsgetcured wrote:So basically the kelp and zinc only help with body odor.
I'm convinced I have TMAU (with no body odor, just odor from urine and HORRIBLE breath).
I just ordered kelp, zinc, and chlorophyll thinking that it would help with breath :(
Not necessarily. My breath was so unbelievably bad, that even if TMAU was contributing, it would have been impossible to tell. The kelp/zinc takes one week to kick in.
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

Just to confirm, you have nasal BB too? Can TMAU be non fishy bad odor from breath only?
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

winter wrote:Just to confirm, you have nasal BB too? Can TMAU be non fishy bad odor from breath only?
Yes I had nasal bb as well. It started in 2015/2016.

Highly doubt it.

P.S. I may have jumped the gun a bit. As I type this I just woke up with significant morning breath. However, I did not brush my teeth before bed so that has something to do with it. It is only day 11 post-tonsillectomy. It can take 30 days to know if cured. I still have 2 or 3 cavities to get fixed. The thing I can say for sure is after brushing, scraping, floss, mouthwash... I am good for hours which is a life-changer for me.
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

14-DAYS POST-TONSILLECTOMY UPDATE

Only time I get bb is morning, especially if I forget to brush teeth at night. After scraping, brush, floss it is ok. However, I am not getting hopes up yet...
letsgetcured

Post by letsgetcured »

Just a few more questions, sorry..

So..
1.You say you had nasal bb? Did the nasal bb go away after the kelp and zinc? or after your dental work?

2. When you started to take the kelp and zinc, did you start watching what you ate? like switch to a low choline diet? Or did you continue your regular diet (assuming that you've still had your share of processed foods lol)?

I've been taking the kelp and zinc for about 4 days. Minor changes in my diet, nothing too drastic, though. I still have no changes in my bb and nasal bb. I had my tonsils and all four wisdom teeth removed 2 months ago. Ever since then, I noticed my gums don't smell like rotten eggs anymore and I don't have that nasty taste in my mouth anymore (except in the mornings) but reactions are still the same. I don't have any other oral problems that need to be corrected which leads me to believe that this problem is more systemic .

Patiently waiting.. :(
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

letsgetcured wrote:Just a few more questions, sorry..

So..
1.You say you had nasal bb? Did the nasal bb go away after the kelp and zinc? or after your dental work?

2. When you started to take the kelp and zinc, did you start watching what you ate? like switch to a low choline diet? Or did you continue your regular diet (assuming that you've still had your share of processed foods lol)?

I've been taking the kelp and zinc for about 4 days. Minor changes in my diet, nothing too drastic, though. I still have no changes in my bb and nasal bb. I had my tonsils and all four wisdom teeth removed 2 months ago. Ever since then, I noticed my gums don't smell like rotten eggs anymore and I don't have that nasty taste in my mouth anymore (except in the mornings) but reactions are still the same. I don't have any other oral problems that need to be corrected which leads me to believe that this problem is more systemic .

1. Dental work.

2. Regular diet (with processed foods lol).

Good you reduced the bb. Did you keep your wisdom teeth? Mine are black with holes in them.

If I were you:

Ensure that you have absolutely 0 tooth decay.
Did you get laser tonsillectomy? It doesn't work.
Bring a metal tongue scraper on you everywhere.
Get saliva-producing lozenges to keep mouth wet.
Consider to get Pro-dental probiotics (heard great).
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

How does dental problem cause nasal BB? Your teeth are blocked by your tongue and if you breathe normally, the air doesn't really flow thru the teeth.

Anyway, I had dental x ray and redid my old fillings. I have 2 wisdom tooth, but they look perfectly fine and my floss doesn't smell bad, just a little like the food I just ate.
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

winter wrote:How does dental problem cause nasal BB? Your teeth are blocked by your tongue and if you breathe normally, the air doesn't really flow thru the teeth.

Anyway, I had dental x ray and redid my old fillings. I have 2 wisdom tooth, but they look perfectly fine and my floss doesn't smell bad, just a little like the food I just ate.
Tongue

• Think of the tongue like a farm, where bacteria make their babies.

Root Canal - Jan. 3rd, 2017

Food stuck under the gums. It would smell like you-know-what.
Extreme amount of decay. Decay attracts bacteria.
Gums were infected, requiring antibiotics.

After treatment, my tonsil infection got better.

Wisdom Teeth - Jan. 18th, 2017

Extreme cavities. Literally holes through the teeth.
Gums were infected, requiring antibiotics.
Food gets stuck under gum flaps. Difficult to remove.

After treatment, my tonsil infection essentially disappeared.

Tonsillectomy - Jan. 26, 2017

Tonsil stones. Need no explanation.
Infection. Infected for years, without knowing.
Impossible to clean. There is no way to clean the tonsils.

After surgery, the back of my tongue no longer gets significant build-up. In fact, it is quite pink.

- - -

I did not brush (or scrape, etc.) for a few hours and asked my parents. Both had previously informed me I had bb. Apparently, there is no smell. The thing is it felt to me like my mouth was unclean. I guess I am also suffering from halitophobia.

Long story short in all my research of bb, it turns out the cause is 90% of the time oral, even chronic cases. I thought mine was SIBO +/ Stomach +/ PND. In fact, it was the most common-sense cause - not going to dentist for 7 years. Hope this helps you.
letsgetcured

Post by letsgetcured »

Attraction wrote:

So..

1. Dental work.

Good you reduced the bb. Did you keep your wisdom teeth? Mine are black with holes in them.

If I were you:

Okay I will tell my dentist. Really hope I have a breakthrough soon because I've went to ENTs three times. They all were like...theres nothing wrong with you that we can fix on our end. The last one gave me the tonsillectomy because he felt bad and wanted to feel like he did SOMETHING to help lol. It wasn't laser. I will try the metal tonge scaper and the lozenges. I tried pro-dental probiotics months ago. It didnt help but this was before I had my tonsils and wisdoms removed. Maybe I'll give it a go again. Now my mouth FEELS fresh but reactions don't lie .
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

letsgetcured wrote:
Attraction wrote:

So..

1. Dental work.

If I were you:

Okay I will tell my dentist. Really hope I have a breakthrough soon because I've went to ENTs three times. They all were like...theres nothing wrong with you that we can fix on our end. The last one gave me the tonsillectomy because he felt bad and wanted to feel like he did SOMETHING to help lol. It wasn't laser. I will try the metal tonge scaper and the lozenges. I tried pro-dental probiotics months ago. It didnt help but this was before I had my tonsils and wisdoms removed. Maybe I'll give it a go again. Now my mouth FEELS fresh but reactions don't lie .

That is odd. My mouth feels unfresh, but there is no smell. I even asked my parents multiple times and there is no odor. They had both told me in the past so I know they aren't lying. Perhaps it might be a good idea for you to pay strangers $5 to smell your breath. Maybe you are suffering from halitophobia. I am planning to do this soon.
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

winter wrote:How does dental problem cause nasal BB? Your teeth are blocked by your tongue and if you breathe normally, the air doesn't really flow thru the teeth.

I was reading this thread and realized I didn't answer your properly.

Over the years, specifically from 2015-2016 I developed bad oral hygiene. There was no point as I had no social life and did everything out of my apartment. I ordered everything delivery or drive-thru. Amazon to buy things, buy groceries online (Walmart Pickup), etc. It was quite rare that I left my apartment.

Every morning my tongue scraper would be CAKED with stuff because I only brushed once max per day.

Long story short, due to extreme bacteria build-up, both my mouth & nose had that "hot" feeling.
steffna
Junior

Post by steffna »

No dentist visit for 7 years (2010 - December 2016)
Tonsil stones (2011 - January 2017)
Infected tonsils (2011 - January 2017)
Infected gums (2013 - January 2017)
Poor oral hygiene (2013 - January 2017)
4 rotten wisdom teeth (2013 - January 2017)
Root canal infection (2015 - January 2017)
3 cavities (2015-current)
TMAU (2016-current)[/quote]

2016-current means you still have TMAU, but you keep it under control with kelp+zinc? so all those things together caused your halitosis; which one do you think was the main cause? From what I understand is oral hygiene, but again if you were diagnosed with TMAU that's also a huge bad breath contributor. ( so are tonsil stones ).
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

steffna wrote:2016-current means you still have TMAU, but you keep it under control with kelp+zinc?
Yes.
steffna wrote:So all those things together caused your halitosis; which one do you think was the main cause? From what I understand is oral hygiene, but again if you were diagnosed with TMAU that's also a huge bad breath contributor. ( so are tonsil stones ).
#1 cause was tonsils (40%), then Wisdom Teeth (30%), Root Canal (20%). TMAU did have a sour odor, but it was the least of my worries at that point. Poor oral hygiene made my teeth decay faster, but not the main cause. I was born with low enamel which is the stuff that protects us from tooth decay. I would always remove tonsil stones, brush, scrape, floss, bleach mouthwash, TUNG w/ bleach, saliva-making lozenges + water bottle before going out.

Bottom line, I should have visited the dentist.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic