Your Email Address:

First Name:

Can you smell/taste your own BB?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Lifelongsufferer
Junior

Can you smell/taste your own BB?

Post by Lifelongsufferer »

Hi friends,

I am wondering how many of you can smell or taste when your breath is bad.

If not, what methods do you use to measure your halitosis?

Sometimes in the morning I have a shitty taste if I force air from my throat out of my nose. The other way I can tell if my breath is bad is by putting my fingers right to the back of my tongue and scraping a bit, then rubbing the saliva on the back of my hand (gross, I know) - This seems to be pretty reliable as far as I can tell.

I think part of this awful condition is that it's so hard to tell when we are improving etc. It makes us paranoid 24/7 because we are always unsure :(

22 UK

Tonsils/adenoids removed
FESS surgery
Visited 3+ ENTs & 2 gastros.
Diagnosed w/ SIBO (hydrogen test)
Peroxide, metronidazole and Sodium Hypochlorite all worked for 2 weeks.

FODMAP, vegan and candida diet tried. Slight improvement.
Dead
Advanced
Re: Can you smell/taste your own BB?

Post by Dead »

I can smell and taste it at all time every day. I hate it so much
oneday4800
Advanced

Post by oneday4800 »

I can smell and taste it also all the time since using a mouthwash. It's horrible
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

Oneday4800, what mouthwash? Before that can't smell anything?
oneday4800
Advanced

Post by oneday4800 »

I have a bottle of colloidal minerals that I mixed with water for mouthwash. It made my teeth/gums hurt after a few days so I stopped using it. The mix was gross,like bleach times 10. Before using that mixture,I could only smell and taste my bb sometimes at random for 1-2 secs. Now,the smell is always there and I taste it 24/7
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Hello

I hav read on some medical books that we are immune to our own breath. It is impossible for us to know how it exactly smells. It means that only a trusted person can tell us if we hav bb. What we smell is the common bb which everybody has. What we smell right now is different from what other people smell from us. Even our own family will deny it.
Summerside
Advanced

Post by Summerside »

Ricky wrote:Hello

I hav read on some medical books that we are immune to our own breath. It is impossible for us to know how it exactly smells. It means that only a trusted person can tell us if we hav bb. What we smell is the common bb which everybody has. What we smell right now is different from what other people smell from us. Even our own family will deny it.
Yes I think so too. But i have a bad baste in my mouth most of the time which is a good indicator
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Hello again.
I sometimes smell the breath of my officemate. A man. His breath is awful. Like dry morning breath. Or maybe acidic. But the funny thing is, i dont see any reactions from others who smelled his breath. He maybe have the common bad breath which almost everyone have. As for me, i really couldn't smell mine. I do smell something but i am very sure that what i smell differs from what other people smell from me. This is why it is so hard to explain to the doctors. I really get irritated whenever i remember the money that i spent. I think i cud buy a second hand car. ***k!
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Hello
I have a theory. We all know that the phlegm that is crawling up in our throat is connected to our bad breath, right? We all have that. And we all know that our breath smells fecal. I think that the odor we smell is a vapor coming from our gut. I think that the phlegm should be tested for its composition. And our stool too. Whatever is to be found there must be different from other people. There must be a connection here. Unfortunately, i'm jobless. I can't afford any of these. Has anyone ever tested their phlegm that is crawling from our throat? Or our stool?
jo317
Advanced

Post by jo317 »

I can only taste mine. I can smell something faint very rarely.

When my mouth is feeling fresher, it feels lighter and there is more saliva, and tastes more neutral (even then I worry though)

If you can not smell or taste it and go off only peoples "reactions", how can you even know that you have bad breath??
Last edited by jo317 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Summerside
Advanced

Post by Summerside »

jo317 wrote:I can only test mine. I can smell something faint very rarely.

When my mouth is feeling fresher, it feels lighter and there is more saliva, and tastes more neutral (even then I worry though)

If you can not smell or taste it and go off only peoples "reactions", how can you even know that you have bad breath??
You dont. I know because my son tells me. Naturopath will smell your breath, regular doctors wont. At least where I live
Summerside
Advanced

Post by Summerside »

jo317 wrote:I can only test mine. I can smell something faint very rarely.

I also went to a dentist and took a halimeter test. Thats how you know
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

I can't smell mine. Surprisingly, fellow suffers can't smell each other too. I don't think all of us have the same type and severity. Somehow, we can smell other strangers' BB.
Summerside
Advanced

Post by Summerside »

winter wrote:I can't smell mine. Surprisingly, fellow suffers can't smell each other too. I don't think all of us have the same type and severity. Somehow, we can smell other strangers' BB.
Of course not. Some have room filling bb some bb that you only smell when you come close.
jo317
Advanced

Post by jo317 »

Oops I meant I can only taste mine.

And I suppose, but I've heard those halimeter tests are bullshit
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic