Your Email Address:

First Name:

Ethmoid and sphenoid sinus halitosis

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
RamboRadinski
Ethmoid and sphenoid sinus halitosis

Post by RamboRadinski »

Hello all

I have had chronic halitosis steming from my sinuses for some years now.

Had surgery in 2009 with no improvement, bad ENT they are out there.

Have made some progress recently, have found a great ENT and we have identified that my ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses are the route causes of my halitosis. From a CT scan its clear the ethmoids are cronically infected and closed up. The sphenoids at the back also appear infected.

My left nasal cavity is greatly restricted in terms of air flow and anaerobic bacteria are having a party in there.

I have a consiltation in early June and then I will likley have an endoscopic operation following that.

I have also been experimenting with an implement to clear my sinuses regularly but almost got it stuck up my nose so have been very careful since.

If you have sinus based halitosis let me know how tour experience has been.

Kind regards

Thiscantbelife
Re: Ethmoid and sphenoid sinus halitosis

Post by Thiscantbelife »

So do you have bad breath from your mouth and nose?
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

Hi

Yeah Im almost 100% sure that it stems from the sinuses and then post nasal drip leaves infected decaying mucus in the back of the mouth and throat which then combines with food to produce halitosis there as well.

No amount of expensive mouthwashes can deal with the route cause, they only treate a symptom.

I only use bicarbonate soda as toothpast these days, nothing else. Very cheap.

The sinuses are cause of the problem.

Its a bummer buddy.
Now lets beat it.
Thiscantbelife

Post by Thiscantbelife »

Hi yea I really wish we could beat this I'm almost hopeless. I have both nasal and mouth halitosis I've tried everything the ENT did two CAT scans found nothing. I think it's some kind of bacteria in our nose. I got so desperate for help I talked to a psychic and she said it was poor eating habits And bad hygiene but that's not true because I brush the hell of out my teeth and tongue. So pleading update if any improvements
Dead
Advanced

Post by Dead »

Hi,
So you have bad breath from your nose then? Would you say that if someone has no nasal bb, only oral, then it's unlikely to be from the sinuses?
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

Thiscantbelife wrote:Hi yea I really wish we could beat this I'm almost hopeless. I have both nasal and mouth halitosis I've tried everything the ENT did two CAT scans found nothing. I think it's some kind of bacteria in our nose. I got so desperate for help I talked to a psychic and she said it was poor eating habits And bad hygiene but that's not true because I brush the hell of out my teeth and tongue. So pleading update if any improvements
Hello

yes I will update you of my progess following my next appointment. Its in early June. Maybe you could ask your doctor to get a second opinion from another ENT. I know my first ENT was useless.

I know its tough out there with empathy not abundant and this is probably the last thing you want to hear but please keep things in perspective, a person in a wheelchair would swap to have our bb in a second. Im in the same spot, so is everyone on the forum.

Focus on the positives, a life of learning is a happy life.

Kind regards
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

Dead wrote:Hi,
So you have bad breath from your nose then? Would you say that if someone has no nasal bb, only oral, then it's unlikely to be from the sinuses?
Hi

Im not sure on that one sorry, if you have constant post nasal drip down the back of your throught then it is very possible and very likely. There has been minimal research done into solving our problem, and people that have looked at it have produced products that treate the symptoms not the cause (th-b). There are very good ENTs out there that can easily fix this problem though. Im just learning everything I can about the ethmoids and sphenoid sinuses before my next appointment.

Kind regards
Randomx123
Total Newbie

Post by Randomx123 »

I had tonsils removed few years ago and last month i had my Adenoids/Nasal FESS/Deviatum surgery and my nasal odor got even worse after the surgery as I feel it can fill up a whole room now even though my breathing got better. It seems that it allowed the bad breath to exit my nose even more easier now. Im do nasal rinses everyday etc and Im not fairly certain that nasal odor/bad breath comes from the throat as I have is 24/7
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

Randomx123 wrote:I had tonsils removed few years ago and last month i had my Adenoids/Nasal FESS/Deviatum surgery and my nasal odor got even worse after the surgery as I feel it can fill up a whole room now even though my breathing got better. It seems that it allowed the bad breath to exit my nose even more easier now. Im do nasal rinses everyday etc and Im not fairly certain that nasal odor/bad breath comes from the throat as I have is 24/7
Hello friend

wow the problem got worse? the ENT clearly didnt solve the problem, I would ask your doctor if you can get a second opinion and see a different ENT. As ive said ENTs are people, some are good, some are bad and some enjoy the misfortune of others. My first ENT prescribed my 12 weeks of antibiotics and then said a CT scan showed no sign of infection. My current ENT looked at the same scans and identified the ethmoids and sphenoids as mayjor candidates for the route of the problem. See another ENT and ask them to take a look at your ehtmoid and sphenoid sinuses.

Kind regards.
Randomx123
Total Newbie

Post by Randomx123 »

Hello friend

wow the problem got worse? the ENT clearly didnt solve the problem, I would ask your doctor if you can get a second opinion and see a different ENT. As ive said ENTs are people, some are good, some are bad and some enjoy the misfortune of others. My first ENT prescribed my 12 weeks of antibiotics and then said a CT scan showed no sign of infection. My current ENT looked at the same scans and identified the ethmoids and sphenoids as mayjor candidates for the route of the problem. See another ENT and ask them to take a look at your ehtmoid and sphenoid sinuses.

Kind regards.[/quote]

The ENT i saw was really good but he didn't have the answered I needed, I got the FESS to make the nasal drainage better and Septoplasty to fix a very minor deciated septum which the ENT said I didn't need as it was so minor but since i had insurance I just decided to do the septoplasty. I can smell my nasal odour myself when I breath in which use to be minor before the surgery but I guess since I can breath easier after the surgery, it allowed the odor to come out of my nose more easier aswell. I do nasal rinses everynight but literally 0 help at all about the smell.
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

[/quote] The ENT i saw was really good but he didn't have the answered I needed, I got the FESS to make the nasal drainage better and Septoplasty to fix a very minor deciated septum which the ENT said I didn't need as it was so minor but since i had insurance I just decided to do the septoplasty. I can smell my nasal odour myself when I breath in which use to be minor before the surgery but I guess since I can breath easier after the surgery, it allowed the odor to come out of my nose more easier aswell. I do nasal rinses everynight but literally 0 help at all about the smell.[/quote]

Maybe time get a second opinion and see a different ENT. I do nasal rinses, I lay down and slowly fill the nasal cavities and then hold my nose and tilt my head all the way foward so the top of the cavity is cleansed, thats where the dam ethmoids are bro. There are some very good youtube videos on how to do it, I will post a link here once ive found them, one involves using garlic in a rinse. Will post again soon.
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

Here is the video link for the sinus rinse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zeuEsO-wXtA

Dont worry about the product just get salt and water, cold water is good as it reduces swelling and not to much salt. There is a sinus garlic rinse video somewhere on youtube aswell. See if you van find it buddy.
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

RamboRadinski wrote:Here is the video link for the sinus rinse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zeuEsO-wXtA

Dont worry about the product just get salt and water, cold water is good as it reduces swelling and not to much salt. There is a sinus garlic rinse video somewhere on youtube aswell. See if you van find it buddy.
Hello everyone

If you have bb coming fron your nose Im almost 100% sure it is your ethmoid sinuses and sphenoid that is causing the bb and the nasal drip that results in the mouth bb. Doing the nasal rinse in the youtube video above I have started to add very small pinches of bicarbonate soda along with the salt and have been told it has made a noticable reduction in my bb. Bicarbona soda is very affordable and is a great deodorizer, I use it as toothpaste aswell. As the video displays I do the nasal rinse by being horizontal on my bed, filling the nose and sinuses and holding my nostrils closed. I then rotate my head abit and then lean my head right foward and down so the water mix reaches all parts of the sinuses. The ethmoids and sphenoids are at the top and back of your nose respectively. One important word, when making sinus rinses use very small amounts of salt and bicarbonate soda, then increase slightly if you feel more ready. The nose can be damaged very easily and swell up and close producing more bb. Start carefully until you get used to it.
RamboRadinski

Post by RamboRadinski »

Hi everyone

Just want to give an update on sinus salt water rinses. Today and yesterday have had a headache followed by stomach pains following morning salt water rinses.

I realise rinsing out the sinuses with salt water may be unsafe and myself not being a doctor I can not recomend it to others. Experimenting to improve my bb but Im going to see the ENT again soon so going to leave it to the pros.

Have a good weekend all.
Kind regards
RR
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic