Your Email Address:

First Name:

Bad Breath from Mouth & NOSE!!!!! HELP PLEASE

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Hopeful1
Bad Breath from Mouth & NOSE!!!!! HELP PLEASE

Post by Hopeful1 »

Hey everyone, I'm new to this page and I'm hoping to get some insight on this awful problem I just started getting about 4 months ago. I started to notice a poop/rotten egg smell. It appears to come from both my mouth & my nose (more from my nose). I CONSTANTLY breathe out this funk from my nose & it fills up a room/office/car in minutes! :cry: When I 1st noticed it I went to Dentist but nothings wrong there. Then went to doc who thought maybe I had thrush because of the thin white coating on tongue. She gave me script for anti fungal pills. They did nothing. Then I started to notice this bitter taste in mouth & throat/tongue/nose burning feeling & my voice started to change so I went to an ENT doc who gave me a scope through my nose and down my throat. Turns out I have Silent Reflux/LPR & white coating is from this also. Has anyone else experienced this smell with silent reflux before? And how long does it take to go away once you start treating it? I'm only on the beginning of week 2 on PPI & Pepcid, along with the dietary changes needed to treat reflux. I also read that alkaline water with a PH over 8.7 is great for neutralizing the acid as well as deactivating the pepsin that also reflux's. I'm wondering how long it takes to help get rid of this smell! Do you think I can rinse my nasal passages with the alkaline water also? Please help!

deedee8
Re: Bad Breath from Mouth & NOSE!!!!! HELP PLEASE

Post by deedee8 »

I'm experiencing the EXACT same thing. I'm at the beginning of my diagnosis. Just went to the dentist, no GD or issues.. I have a doc appointment next week. Good to know that you found the cause, I may have suggestions for my doctor to investigate!

Thanks for sharing!
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

Can both of you confirm that it is more severe from the nose?

I was never diagnosed with anything. However, I suspect I had LPR. I no longer has a lump in the throat feeling after maintaining a strict diet. BB issue is still not resolved though.
Dead
Advanced

Post by Dead »

That's a bullshit diagnose if you ask me. Millions of people have reflux yet no bad breath. He probably just saw you have lpr and concluded that must be the cause because he couldn't find anything else.
Smellyorus
Total Newbie

Post by Smellyorus »

I have had this for the past 5 years and also happen to have LPR. Mucus in my throat and coated tongue have dominated my life for as long as I can remember. It's an impossible puzzle to crack, since the PPIs don't work. Gaviscon doesn't work. I do think the root cause is somewhere else because so many people have reflux without odor problems.

Smaller meals seem to help. I've had a problem with overeating since I was young. I can't smell the odor but I'll get reactions such as "who farted?" or people covering their noses. My parents can't smell me and rarely I'll find another person who can't.

I've spent the last 4 years obsessively researching all the possibilities and doing trial and error with supplements but nothing has really helped.
Hopeful1

Post by Hopeful1 »

deedee8 wrote:I'm experiencing the EXACT same thing. I'm at the beginning of my diagnosis. Just went to the dentist, no GD or issues.. I have a doc appointment next week. Good to know that you found the cause, I may have suggestions for my doctor to investigate!

Thanks for sharing!
No problem & I hope u get to the bottom of it! Keep us updated.
Hopeful1

Post by Hopeful1 »

winter wrote:Can both of you confirm that it is more severe from the nose?

I was never diagnosed with anything. However, I suspect I had LPR. I no longer has a lump in the throat feeling after maintaining a strict diet. BB issue is still not resolved though.
Yes mine is definitely more severe from the nose. Only 1-2 days out of a week it sometimes comes & goes but 90% of the time it's flowing out my nose filling up the room. And lately I smell it the strongest if I'm outside which I don't get that part either.
Hopeful1

Post by Hopeful1 »

Dead wrote:That's a bullshit diagnose if you ask me. Millions of people have reflux yet no bad breath. He probably just saw you have lpr and concluded that must be the cause because he couldn't find anything else.
I actually thought about that too & have begun researching other possibilities to get tested for just incase.
Hopeful1

Post by Hopeful1 »

Smellyorus wrote:I have had this for the past 5 years and also happen to have LPR. Mucus in my throat and coated tongue have dominated my life for as long as I can remember. It's an impossible puzzle to crack, since the PPIs don't work. Gaviscon doesn't work. I do think the root cause is somewhere else because so many people have reflux without odor problems.

Smaller meals seem to help. I've had a problem with overeating since I was young. I can't smell the odor but I'll get reactions such as "who farted?" or people covering their noses. My parents can't smell me and rarely I'll find another person who can't.

I've spent the last 4 years obsessively researching all the possibilities and doing trial and error with supplements but nothing has really helped.
That is what scares me the fact there are sooooo many people out there with this problem & many with no solution. Mine has been mixed as far as me smelling it-most of the time I can smell it but I have had a few days here & there where I cannot but everyone else around can. I get those same reactions your getting.

Have you ever gotten an upper gi endoscopy done? I am going to get one done to have everything examined related to this & stomach that I can & a colonoscopy too. I have a barium X-ray scheduled in 2 weeks then I'm going to get the endoscopy. I also am going to ask to be tested for H. Pylori. I'm pretty desperate for answers-it's starting to affect my job!
Smellyorus
Total Newbie

Post by Smellyorus »

Hopeful1 wrote:
Smellyorus wrote:I have had this for the past 5 years and also happen to have LPR. Mucus in my throat and coated tongue have dominated my life for as long as I can remember. It's an impossible puzzle to crack, since the PPIs don't work. Gaviscon doesn't work. I do think the root cause is somewhere else because so many people have reflux without odor problems.

That is what scares me the fact there are sooooo many people out there with this problem & many with no solution. Mine has been mixed as far as me smelling it-most of the time I can smell it but I have had a few days here & there where I cannot but everyone else around can. I get those same reactions your getting.

Have you ever gotten an upper gi endoscopy done? I am going to get one done to have everything examined related to this & stomach that I can & a colonoscopy too. I have a barium X-ray scheduled in 2 weeks then I'm going to get the endoscopy. I also am going to ask to be tested for H. Pylori. I'm pretty desperate for answers-it's starting to affect my job!
There is no cure for LPR right now. Also many people have said that their mucus was not cured even with surgery. The overwhelming majority of LPR do not have an odor problem, so the root malfunction is somewhere else. What separates us from other LPR sufferers that causes an odor? It is not even proven that LPR is linked to odor problems, so this could be caused by something completely different.

I have not gotten any of the tests. I think they would provide good information. Does the odor come and go for you? For days? Are there certain situations where the odor is nonexistent? Do you remember when it all started?
Hopeful1

Post by Hopeful1 »

Smellyorus wrote:
Hopeful1 wrote:

There is no cure for LPR right now. Also many people have said that their mucus was not cured even with surgery. The overwhelming majority of LPR do not have an odor problem, so the root malfunction is somewhere else. What separates us from other LPR sufferers that causes an odor? It is not even proven that LPR is linked to odor problems, so this could be caused by something completely different.

I have not gotten any of the tests. I think they would provide good information. Does the odor come and go for you? For days? Are there certain situations where the odor is nonexistent? Do you remember when it all started?
Yea I'm puzzled too-I'm goin to start with these tests and pray I find the cause/connection, if not I'm going to look into getting tested for different bacteria in the nose, cancers (although my CT scan of nose/sinuses showed everything was normal there) I just can't live like this I have to find the problem.

The odor for me doesn't stop for days, but every once & a while there will be a day where I don't smell it which seems to be completely random. It started for me about 4 months ago literally out of no where-the smell was just there one day when I woke up. I hadn't eaten/done anything out of the norm or anything.

Along with the various docs/dentist I mentioned in original post I've also tried steroid nasal spray, flushing sinuses daily with a saline solution then I tried diluted Grapefruit seed extract both in nose & mouth & also drinking it, none of that helped. I am now also on probiotics along with Vitamin D (found it was low in recent blood work), & zinc. Completely changed diet as my pcp originally thought it was oral thrush, stooped all dairy, sugar, high sugar fruits, gluten, vinegar, red meats (occasionally eat wild caught salmon or turkey) so far not helping much but I'm giving that more time as I keep searching for the answer.
Robert20
Junior

Post by Robert20 »

I just don't get it, why does it just come for no reason and there's literally no cure for many people..... I would take another disease anyday over this is just so frustrating
Hopeful1

Post by Hopeful1 »

Robert20 wrote:I just don't get it, why does it just come for no reason and there's literally no cure for many people..... I would take another disease anyday over this is just so frustrating

Yes extremely frustrating!
Smellyorus
Total Newbie

Post by Smellyorus »

Hopeful1 wrote:
Smellyorus wrote:
Hopeful1 wrote:

Yea I'm puzzled too-I'm goin to start with these tests and pray I find the cause/connection, if not I'm going to look into getting tested for different bacteria in the nose, cancers (although my CT scan of nose/sinuses showed everything was normal there) I just can't live like this I have to find the problem.

The odor for me doesn't stop for days, but every once & a while there will be a day where I don't smell it which seems to be completely random. It started for me about 4 months ago literally out of no where-the smell was just there one day when I woke up. I hadn't eaten/done anything out of the norm or anything.

Along with the various docs/dentist I mentioned in original post I've also tried steroid nasal spray, flushing sinuses daily with a saline solution then I tried diluted Grapefruit seed extract both in nose & mouth & also drinking it, none of that helped. I am now also on probiotics along with Vitamin D (found it was low in recent blood work), & zinc. Completely changed diet as my pcp originally thought it was oral thrush, stooped all dairy, sugar, high sugar fruits, gluten, vinegar, red meats (occasionally eat wild caught salmon or turkey) so far not helping much but I'm giving that more time as I keep searching for the answer.
I've tried the following with no success.
iodine
proteolic enzymes after meal
cortisone
zinc + kelp
niacin
gfse/coconut oil neti pot
organic activated charcoal
chlorofresh
papaya enzymes
zinc pills/absorbate liquid
riboflavin (vitamin b2)
niacin/b3
kelp and zinc
5000 mg vitamin c
celt immunocare
aloe vera
reishi mushroom
turmeric
milk thistle
steroid nasal spray (nasonex) (rhinocort aqua)
AYR Gel (+ hydrogen peroxide) (nasal)
benadryl/OTC antihistamiine
acidophilius milk capsules
gaviscon
raw kombucha capsule
candida/autoimmune/no gluten/no dairy diets
Gatorade

The only things that have seemed to do anything for me is taking omega 3 fish oil and eating less. Eating avacados almost always makes it worse the following day.

We may all have different conditions with different causes. I think the fact that you can smell your odor is an important distinction.
Hopeful1

Post by Hopeful1 »

Smellyorus wrote:
Hopeful1 wrote:
Smellyorus wrote:

I've tried the following with no success.
iodine
proteolic enzymes after meal
cortisone
zinc + kelp
niacin
gfse/coconut oil neti pot
organic activated charcoal
chlorofresh
papaya enzymes
zinc pills/absorbate liquid
riboflavin (vitamin b2)
niacin/b3
kelp and zinc
5000 mg vitamin c
celt immunocare
aloe vera
reishi mushroom
turmeric
milk thistle
steroid nasal spray (nasonex) (rhinocort aqua)
AYR Gel (+ hydrogen peroxide) (nasal)
benadryl/OTC antihistamiine
acidophilius milk capsules
gaviscon
raw kombucha capsule
candida/autoimmune/no gluten/no dairy diets
Gatorade

The only things that have seemed to do anything for me is taking omega 3 fish oil and eating less. Eating avacados almost always makes it worse the following day.

We may all have different conditions with different causes. I think the fact that you can smell your odor is an important distinction.
Hmmmmm I'll look into the fish oil. Yes I can definitely smell mine 90% of the time especially outdoors lately.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic