Below is my last resort treatment plan that I am about to undergo. I am posting it here mostly to organize my own thoughts, but I absolutely appreciate and encourage any feedback, advice or warnings. I've considered doing this for years after having read several reports of heavy antibiotic use curing chronic BB, but never tried it because of the risks and the difficulty of obtaining the required drugs and in the required amounts. In hindsight, I feel extremely stupid for not having done this before I'd already wasted so much time. The risks seem entirely negligible compared to the emotional pain and isolation I've gone through and all the wasted years that will never come back to me. Not to even mention the rough uncharted path to becoming "normal" that lies ahead of this curse.
I am not giving medical advice or recommending anyone to follow what I am about to post. There are major risks involved beyond the obvious of just completely trashing your body's bacterial balance. There are serious potential side effects including neural toxicity, liver damage, or even allergic reactions leading to anaphylactic shock. Don't take any drugs that weren't prescribed to you by a doctor.
I am basing everything on the assumption that my BB is caused by my chronic sinusitis, resulting in either
A) mucous to putrify in the sinuses and drip into the throat
B) post nasal drip feeding bad bacteria originating in the mouth, either from unbalanced flora or some hidden source of infection such as an abscess
The drugs below were selected for a combined attack on dental abscesses, sinusitis and any gut related issues. Interestingly, this is nearly the same triple therapy used for h. pylori infections. However, the duration is several times longer. I tested negative, but if there's something going on down there then this should take care of it.
I am starting a 6 week treatment consisting of:
Amoxicillin + Clavulanic Acid - 500mg/125mg three times daily
- Also known as Augmentin. Well tolerated & extremely popular. Moderate spectrum antibiotic. First line of defense against sinusitis
- Also known as Flagyl. Rather harsh drug with many side effects & an FDA issued cancer warning. Eliminates anaerobic bacteria. Great for dental abscesses and gut issues
- Anti-fungal that prevents yeast/fungal overgrowth from antibiotic use
- Anything containing high quantities of BlisK12 or S. Salivarius
Necessary to give good bacteria a head start once the antibiotics wear off
Will NOT swallow or an overgrowth of oral bacteria may occur in gut
Example Product: NOW OralBiotic Blis K12
- 25+ Billion multi-strain for maximum effectiveness. Probiotic yogurts too
Probiotic use while on antibiotics has been proven to reduce side effects and will help regenerate a healthy flora if taken afterwards as well
Example Product: NOW Probiotic-10 25 Billion
- Sinuses must remain open to allow drainage of any infected mucous
Example Products: Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed), Caffeine Pills
- Standard flip-turn sinus flush performed at least once daily
Optionally may add a few drops of Oregano oil or GSE as an additional topical antibacterial & antifungal
- Must continue eating healthy and keep sugars to a minimum. Crucial to eat clean while flora is being reset
- Good bacteria feed on these (more info here https://www.mommypotamus.com/resistant-starch/)
I will begin next week once I have all the supplies in hand. Hoping at the very least I will get to enjoy my first 6 weeks without halitosis since childhood. The true test is whether or not it remains cleared up which is a nail biting few months away.
Wish me luck, and keep your chins up! Someday we'll find our cure. We have to believe that.