Your Email Address:

First Name:

Anyone successfully culture probiotics from tablets?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Johnv713
Advanced
Anyone successfully culture probiotics from tablets?

Post by Johnv713 »

Hey guys!

Been awhile since my last visit to this site. Ive been successfully manage my bb with oral probiotics + a water pik for i think over 6 months now. However the price of probiotics can add up quickly over time, so i'd like to try my hand at culturing it again. My first try did not yield any growth but im sure the pills i used are still potent at the time.

I had great success with culturing kefir grains but for some reason unknown growing bacteria with pills was a failure. Has anyone tried this with great result? Please share, thanks!

winter
Sheriff

Re: Anyone successfully culture probiotics from tablets?

Post by winter »

Johnv713 wrote:Hey guys!

Been awhile since my last visit to this site. Ive been successfully manage my bb with oral probiotics + a water pik for i think over 6 months now. However the price of probiotics can add up quickly over time, so i'd like to try my hand at culturing it again. My first try did not yield any growth but im sure the pills i used are still potent at the time.

I had great success with culturing kefir grains but for some reason unknown growing bacteria with pills was a failure. Has anyone tried this with great result? Please share, thanks!
How did you do it? How did you know you failed?
ttylxman2
Junior

Post by ttylxman2 »

Try artificial saliva as a growth medium kept at a proper temperature and pH.
CONCLUSIONS:

Streptococcus salivarius was able to rapidly grow in complemented artificial saliva.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21672100
The materials used for preparing the artificial saliva are albumin (Sigma, Sigma-Aldrich CO, St Louis, MO USA), methyl cellulose (Sigma, SigmaAldrich CO, St Louis, MO USA), sodium carboxymethyl cellulose (Sigma, Sigma-Aldrich CO, St Louis, MO USA), hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose (Sigma, Sigma-Aldrich CO, St Louis, MO USA), potassium chloride (R&M chemicals, R&M Marketing, Essex, UK), di-potassium hydrogen phosphate (Merck, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany), sodium fluoride (Merck, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany), Magnesium chloride (Merck, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany), Glucose (R&M chemicals, R&M Marketing, Essex, UK), Methyl paraben (Sigma, Sigma-Aldrich CO, St Louis, MO USA).
Difficult to make and I don't think you can get it over the counter. Seems to be prescription only. (WTF?)

Maybe try to collect some of your own saliva directly from the glands under the tongue rather than drooling it out along with any possible contaminants.

Gross if you intend to ingest it afterwards though..
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

I can't help with the microbiology, I suggest heading up to your local university and asking some micro professors for advice. They would have insights in to what the optimal conditions the bacteria would require. It must be different from the bacteria that produces yogurt.

I do want to know what type of halitosis you believe you suffer from, which probiotics you're using and how many/ how often.

When you say you're controlling your bb, what does that mean exactly?

Do you have someone who reliably reports what your breath is like? If so, what are they saying?

Thanks in advance :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic