Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tongue Scrape Test is probably inaccurate

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
pepper234

Tongue Scrape Test is probably inaccurate

Post by pepper234 »

Other than the number of reactions, people have been saying that BB can be detected by using a spoon, by scraping the back of the tongue to detect any smell. I've had my doubts about this test, and this was confirmed for me when I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIH87NOKrzw

Basically, presenters walked down the street and did the spoon scrape test on random passersby. Most of the people in the video had smelly tongue scrapings. As we all know, 99% of people we meet might have normal BB, but goes away after brushing. Since normal people fail this test, I think everyone's scrapings just smell bad. Being able to smell your tongue scrapings might not say much at all.

Anyone has thoughts about this?

fog
Junior

Re: Tongue Scrape Test is probably inaccurate

Post by fog »

The show seems to confuse temporary funky food smells with chronic BB.
If they do that I belive they are pretty clueless on this topic.

I wish I could smell foodstuffs, it's totaly different kind of smell.

Have you done the tongue test yourself?
pepper234

Post by pepper234 »

Yes, but unfortunately most websites and people think like that. I have done the tongue scrape test and often can smell something sourish, but when i smell my BB (very occasionally i can smell it in certain positions) it smells more like rotten eggs. I also have perpetually blocked nose so I am not the best at detecting the presence of scents.
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

[quote="pepper234"]Other than the number of reactions, people have been saying that BB can be detected by using a spoon, by scraping the back of the tongue to detect any smell. I've had my doubts about this test, and this was confirmed for me when I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIH87NOKrzw

Basically, presenters walked down the street and did the spoon scrape test on random passersby. Most of the people in the video had smelly tongue scrapings. As we all know, 99% of people we meet might have normal BB, but goes away after brushing. Since normal people fail this test, I think everyone's scrapings just smell bad. Being able to smell your tongue scrapings might not say much at all.

Anyone has thoughts about this?[/quotebaHello pepper

I agree that it is not accurate. When a normal person puts his finger at the back of his tongue and smell it, ofcourse it smells bad. But that person doesn't necessarily mean that he has bb.

My mother has a bad set of teeth. She even have black teeth. She never flossed for decades. But when we talk, her breath doesn't smell bad. I can smell it. Becoz if she does hav bb, i would have noticed it. Other poeple would have noticed it too. But she doesnt have bb.

Licking is not accurate. Tongue scrapping is not too. They dont have what we have. These people who post these topics in youtube might have encountered a person who have bb. Then they become curious about us. Then they're trying to figure it out what is the cure based on their own study. As if that is really the cure. Indeed they found the cure, but only worked for them. What they have is just a normal morning breath.
pepper234

Post by pepper234 »

Ricky wrote:
pepper234 wrote:Other than the number of reactions, people have been saying that BB can be detected by using a spoon, by scraping the back of the tongue to detect any smell. I've had my doubts about this test, and this was confirmed for me when I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIH87NOKrzw

I agree that it is not accurate. When a normal person puts his finger at the back of his tongue and smell it, ofcourse it smells bad. But that person doesn't necessarily mean that he has bb.

My mother has a bad set of teeth. She even have black teeth. She never flossed for decades. But when we talk, her breath doesn't smell bad. I can smell it. Becoz if she does hav bb, i would have noticed it. Other poeple would have noticed it too. But she doesnt have bb.

Licking is not accurate. Tongue scrapping is not too. They dont have what we have. These people who post these topics in youtube might have encountered a person who have bb. Then they become curious about us. Then they're trying to figure it out what is the cure based on their own study. As if that is really the cure. Indeed they found the cure, but only worked for them. What they have is just a normal morning breath.
Yeah i agree, to 'cure' normal BB one just has to brush their teeth. These people will smell their scrapings and say it's bad but OF COURSE! Your mouth literally digests food, there is food putrefying in your mouth so everyone's tongue smells on some level. But it doesn't mean they have any BB which others can smell. Also, i think for many of us the BB comes from the digestive system. I don't believe BB from tongue can be room filling and travel so far.
gotshot26
Master

Post by gotshot26 »

Ricky wrote:
pepper234 wrote:Other than the number of reactions, people have been saying that BB can be detected by using a spoon, by scraping the back of the tongue to detect any smell. I've had my doubts about this test, and this was confirmed for me when I watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIH87NOKrzw

What do you mean here: "When a normal person puts his finger at the back of his tongue and smell it, ofcourse it smells bad."

You're saying even people with no bad breath can have smelly tongues? I think you're wrong here.
For type 1 sufferers, bad breath is mostly caused by overgrowths of sulphur-reducing bacteria within your microbiome. You should spend more time focusing your attention on these overgrowths if you want to find your permanent cure.
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

gotshot26 wrote:
Ricky wrote:

What do you mean here: "When a normal person puts his finger at the back of his tongue and smell it, ofcourse it smells bad."

You're saying even people with no bad breath can have smelly tongues? I think you're wrong here.
I don't think so... If you disagree with us then don't join in our topic.
gotshot26
Master

Post by gotshot26 »

Ricky wrote:
gotshot26 wrote:
Ricky wrote:

Lol, if I disagree then don't join in on the topic? LOL. Thats what the forum is for. To bounce ideas around and debate about them. God damn fool.
For type 1 sufferers, bad breath is mostly caused by overgrowths of sulphur-reducing bacteria within your microbiome. You should spend more time focusing your attention on these overgrowths if you want to find your permanent cure.
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

gotshot26 wrote:
Ricky wrote:
gotshot26 wrote:

Lol, if I disagree then don't join in on the topic? LOL. Thats what the forum is for. To bounce ideas around and debate about them. God damn fool.
You believe on what you want. And we'll believe on what we want.

You don't need to force us to believe you. And we don't need to force you to believe us.

Get out of our topic. For you just want to win an argument, and not finding a solution. Dont write on this page again. We don't want a bad person with a bad language.
Swell

Post by Swell »

As weird as it sounds, every time I do the tongue scraper test, I don't smell anything.
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Swell wrote:As weird as it sounds, every time I do the tongue scraper test, I don't smell anything.
Hello swell

I agree with you
Perseverehoping

Post by Perseverehoping »

The best way to smell your tongue is to put your tongue on your upper lip and then smell your lip. Do that when you wake up in the morning to know how your tongue smell in the morning when you have morning breath. To use that as a standaard when you need to compare during the day.

And after brushing and scrape your tongue. Do the same thing to know when your tongue is pretty clean how it smell. You will notice that it don't smell anything. If you can still smell something after brushing, you need to brush and scrape it again because it isn't clean yet. Thats what I do every day to check my breath.

And remember to wet a tissue paper to wipe your lip. After checking. hahhaha. :mrgreen:
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Swell wrote:As weird as it sounds, every time I do the tongue scraper test, I don't smell anything.
Hello swell

Believe me when i say this, the most accurate way if we have bb or not are the horrible reactions from people. Painful. But truthfull...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic