Your Email Address:

First Name:

Sodium Percarbonate in waterpik is helping

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
hope4now
Master
Sodium Percarbonate in waterpik is helping

Post by hope4now »

Haven't posted in awhile; here's an update that I hope will help some people.

I've been putting a small amount (< 1/8 tsp) of sodium percarbonate (SPC) in my oral irrigator (waterpik) each morning. SPC is the active ingredient in OxyClean laundry additives. Most grocery stores have the generic version which is cheaper. It basically becomes hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) in water, but SPC is cheaper and it's easier to travel with a powder. I bought the pure chemical on Amazon but the generic "laundry oxidizer" SPC from the store is just as effective. Make sure the main or only ingredient is SPC without any dies or perfumes. Sodium carbonate is sometimes another ingredient, which acts as a water softener.

I also use this stuff in my laundry. That's where I got the idea to put it in my mouth rinse. Just rinsing with it might be effective too, but the waterpik gets it under the gumline better. I also spray the gums where my wisdom teeth used to be since that is another place where the bacteria like to hide.

Before I tried SPC, I put xylitol in the rinse which seemed to help for awhile but got less effective over time. I still got odors around the gumline of certain teeth when I flossed at night. Since adding SPC to the rinse, the odors are gone, even if I skip a day. I've been using it now for 6 months with no sign of it getting less effective or any side effects. In the past I tried some of those chlorine dioxide "solutions" which had terrible side effects for me like dry hard skin patches on my fingers.

I think it's more of a "management system" than a cure. The gumline odor comes back eventually if I go too long (haven't really tested how long) but it seems to keep it under control which is how I measure its effectiveness. I've been feeling less self conscious about my bb at work and socially although I'm still wary about potential reactions or talking too close, mostly out of habit.

One caveat especially for people who have mercury amalgam fillings or gold crowns (that absorb mercury from amalgams), be sure to rinse and brush very well after using SPC or H2O2. It is known to cause mercury vapor to be released from the fillings. I'm very sensitive to mercury. I had all of my mercury fillings removed a long time ago but I still have gold crowns that release mercury that they absorbed from the amalgams.

Here's more info on that subject: https://healthfully.com/peroxide-cannot ... 33488.html

SPC and H2O2 should be rinsed well even without mercury fillings since it is an oxidizer that creates free radicals. I rinse with tap water 3 times and then brush with toothpaste afterwards to get rid of the H2O2 taste.

Mercury amalgam fillings removed: mid 1990s. Wisdom teeth removed: 2010. Tonsils removed: 2011.
Ana
Re: Sodium Percarbonate in waterpik is helping

Post by Ana »

whats is wrong with your gumline, what has the dentist told you about your gums?
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

whats is wrong with your gumline, what has the dentist told you about your gums?
I get cleanings every 6 months. The hygienist says there's some gingivitis but not serious gum disease (periodontitis).

That's where the bb germs seem to hang out if I don't use the waterpik with SPC.
Mercury amalgam fillings removed: mid 1990s. Wisdom teeth removed: 2010. Tonsils removed: 2011.
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

I'm starting to see some tooth decay at the gum line, so maybe this stuff has some side effects after all. I may have to cut back to once a week. I'll see what the dentist says at my next checkup in January.
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

Did you have nasal BB? Was there any improvement immediately after a dentist cleaned your teeth?
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

I quit using SPC for a few months, and the bb came back. Flossing around some teeth picked up the smell again. I started tasting it in my throat as well. My gums are the definitely the source of my bb. When I had my teeth cleaned the hygienist gave me mouthwash before she started, and that was right after using the waterpik, toothbrush and mouthwash at home!

I'm back to using about 1/4 tsp SPC in 14 oz. of water in a waterpik. I follow that with just water in the waterpik to rinse it better. That keeps it under control for at least 24 hours. I have some cavities that need fixing, but at least the bb is under control. The dentist said the ones around the gum line are minor and easy to fix.

The germs that cause tooth decay are not the same ones that cause bb. The bb germs are anaerobic and live deep inside the gum line. I think they compete with the tooth decay germs which may explain why I'm getting more cavities since using the SPC treatment.
Last edited by hope4now on Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

Update: I've stopped SPC in the waterpik since it continued to cause tooth decay around the gum line. I've also read that hydrogen peroxide (active ingredient in SPC) is bad to use long term in the mouth. It is linked to gingival inflammation and possibly cancer.

Lately I've been using sea salt, sometimes with xylitol in the waterpik which is better than just water. Today I added a few drops of grapfruit seed extract (NutriBiotic brand) to see if that's as effective as SPC at stopping the periodontal infection and odor.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

I use peroxide now for 15 years I think....and have no gingivitis.....I use it with the mix of baking soda and peroxide

with peroxide you are in fact disinfecting bacteria....which is causing gingivitis.....
i think peroxide is just a natural substance not harmful to humans....
This is me, Jimi Stein, I created this site in December 2005. Welcome.
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

Jimi Stein wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 am I use peroxide now for 15 years I think....and have no gingivitis.....I use it with the mix of baking soda and peroxide

with peroxide you are in fact disinfecting bacteria....which is causing gingivitis.....
Do you use it in an oral irrigator or just as a rinse? Do you use it straight or diluted with water?

For me, even a small amount of SPC in the waterpik accelerates the tooth decay around the gum line for some reason. But it was effective at controlling the bad breath germs. Maybe it allowed the tooth decay bacteria to take over once the anaerobic ones were killed off.
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

Jimi Stein wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 am I use peroxide now for 15 years I think....and have no gingivitis.....I use it with the mix of baking soda and peroxide

I agree that H2O2 is much less toxic than Chlorine Dioxide, which gave me very bad side effects. It's also possible that sodium percarbonate is more toxic than just H2O2, even though SPC produces H2O2 when dissolved in water.

I read that H2O2 can cause mercury to be released from tooth fillings, even gold fillings because they absorb mercury.
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

you should never have mercury fillings in your teeth at first place
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

Jimi Stein wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:30 am you should never have mercury fillings in your teeth at first place
I had mine done as a kid; had no say in the matter. Then they were replaced with gold crowns which absorbed mercury from the remaining fillings. All of this happened long before I or my parents knew how bad mercury was for the brain.

Nevertheless, I've been trying H2O2 in the waterpik and it seems to be just as effective as SPC. I'm using about 20ml of H2O2 (3% concentration) in 400ml of water. I then do a second waterpik rinse around the gums with just water to remove as much H2O2 as possible. I rinse with more water followed by brushing with toothpaste. So far no symptoms of any mercury toxicity.
hope4now
Master

Post by hope4now »

Had to quit the SPC/H2O2 in the waterpik. There's no question it is causing tooth decay around the gum line. Not sure why it has that effect. Maybe it weakens the the dentin somehow. My dentist bills are through the roof.

I've gone back to sea salt and baking soda. It's not as effective at stopping bb, but tooth decay isn't worth it.

I've also been taking a vitamin K2 MK-4 supplement, which is supposed to strengthen bones and prevent tooth decay. It had the added benefit of lowering my blood pressure.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-Life- ... lets/24087
Jimi Stein
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by Jimi Stein »

What is SPC...I used peroxide for 10 years now and many people use it as a toothpaste and I get no decay......it should kill the bacteria that cause decay.....but you might be different and be allergic to peroxide.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic