Your Email Address:

First Name:

My trip to the dentist for cleaning

Tell us what happened to you today. It can be sad or happy thing.
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

i went to see a periodontist today. Her dental assistant had bb. Not horrible, but she had it. It made me feel better.

stressedout
Master

Post by stressedout »

the crapiest thing is that even dental work might not say anything to each other about their breath. now how can you trust people that way?
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

stressedout wrote:If i may ask and probably make you repeat it - how do you detect your BB? Thanks.
Firstly, I knew the smell of my tongue wasnt normal. For a while after eating something things were ok for a while, but once the odour built up my mouth felt so bad it felt inflammable. I had several ways of detecting my own BB. The best was simply to breathe into a corner of a room and then breathe back in sharply. Doing the same thing into a pillow was another good method. Another good one, if your tongue smells bad, is to hold out your tongue, cup your hand over it so that its forms a mask over your nose and tongue and breathe in a few times through your nose and let your tongue start drying out from the airflow, and you'll really start to smell it if you're doing it right.
halitosisux

Re: Intresting Research Getting rid of Garlic Breath

Post by halitosisux »

VICKSTER wrote:Getting Rid of Garlic Breath...

Good news from our friends at London Daily Telegraph . Garlic is widely used to flavor food and has many health benefits, but as we all know it contains odoriferous compounds called ally methyl sulphide, which can not be broken down during digestion. The body releases that sulphur smell in sweat and breath, to pungent effect. Reseachers at Ohio State University have found that drinking a glass of whole milk after eating garlic can reduce the offending odor by half. Full fat works the best suggesting that it's the milk fat that neutralizes the volatile compunds. Even more effective is drinking milk at the same time you're eating something garlicky say study authors Barringer and Hansanugrum. This will enhance the " deodorizing effect and mask the odor of garlic flavor." Bring on the garlic knots !!! Vickster
When my breath smelled like shit, I would have given anything to have garlic breath
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

i'm glad she had bb...i'm sick o' "normal" people....

i came to this site to "escape" the normals...they're ev'rywhere....ugh!
cool
Junior

Post by cool »

halitosisux wrote:lol.. but nothing is certain with this crazy problem. I do understand what bus is trying to say though. Certain types of odours (and probably certain gasses too like carbon dioxide) do seem to have an effect on our ability to detect odours that we otherwise might have become familiarized with.

I remember when I was about 15/16 years old I had a girlfriend whose breath seemed to smell bad, but only when we'd snog each other. And I remember telling others how great she was - except for her bad breath. And nobody knew what I meant cos they'd never smelled any BB on her. I then realised it was my own bad breath.

But I agree, that if it was your BB you were smelling, it would happen whenever anyone got as close as your hygienest did. So it must have been her BB.

BB is quite common. And Most people when they've been working all day without eating much and they are run down and dehydrated, will start having noticeable odours on their breath.
are these facts or conclusions? what are these baed on?
wouldnt that make it easy to check your bb if it could be noticed byyoruself with the help of co2 or will just anything smell bad in combination with co2?

is there any news on this or any other things related to this one on this board might have come up with?

sounds interesting...
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Are you asking these questions because you are trying to find ways of being able to self-detect your own BB more effectively?

The fact is, we become familiarized with our odours, not just odours from ourselves but any odour we happen to be smelling constantly around us. So when something changes, i.e. going into another room, or going outside, or taking a shower, it alters the familiarization our brain has become used to and can allow us to suddenly start becoming aware of a smell.

Sometimes it can be hard to hear a ticking clock when your brain has been hearing it constantly in the background. It's the same kind of thing happening where the brain filters familiar things out - probably to make us more sensitive to things we're not familiar with for survival purposes.
cool
Junior

Post by cool »

yes i am aware of this.
i was referring to this quote from you although i messed up somehow with the quoting system because i wanted to quote ihatethebus and what he did says about carbon on the 1st page of this thread, too.
Certain types of odours (and probably certain gasses too like carbon dioxide) do seem to have an effect on our ability to detect odours that we otherwise might have become familiarized with.
if there are as you said certain gasses that do seem to have an effect on our ability to detect odours that we otherwise might have become familiarized with why didnt anybody come up with this to develop a better self controll possibility like breathing into something that contains carbon dioxide (i dunno what that could be)?

to make sure i got the point of what you both said ill summarize it once again: people with a not definded higher emission of carbon dioxide might make you smell your own breath on their breath.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I think that generally, when you smell BB on another person, it probably is their BB and not your own, unless you are up really close to that person or kissing them etc and you are getting your "rebound".

The thing with the carbon dioxide is probably just due to the fact that carbon dioxide smells of nothing, so it's like momentarily going outside and getting a breath of fresh air or going into another room. This will have an effect on your smell perceptions and may allow you to get a whiff of your own odour if the timing was right.

Some people with perfect breath do have occasional days when their breath can smell a bit. I see that all the time. And the odours associated with bad breath don't vary all that much from person to person, it mostly involves a few very bad smelling chemicals or their combination.
CNS

Post by CNS »

halitosisux wrote:I think that generally, when you smell BB on another person, it probably is their BB and not your own, unless you are up really close to that person or kissing them etc and you are getting your "rebound".
I agree with what you said. It should be obvious if the BB was coming from another person as the smell would be detectable only when they open their mouth to speak, so it's quite impossible that you can't tell whether the BB came from yourself or the other person. Besides, as we all know, it's quite impossible to smell your own BB.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

It's not quite true that none of us can smell our own bad breath. If I cup my hand over my mouth, exhale, and the quickly suck the air in through my nose, I can smell the odor. It may not seem as intense to me as it would to someone else, but I can smell it.
It also appears that not all people have the same sensitity to breath odors (or any odor?) Some people don't seem to react to my breath odor, while others can apparently smell it from 3 or 4 feet away. There are many different aspects to and causes for bad breath, and by the time we figure it out, we'll all be dead.
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic