Your Email Address:

First Name:

What was actually causing my BB (Update)

Tell us what happened to you today. It can be sad or happy thing.
AliD

What was actually causing my BB (Update)

Post by AliD »

I've explained that wheat and oat gluten were the culprit. This post describes the symptoms which I've encountered. I have overcome them completely and positively. I avoid all forms of wheat and gluten containing foods, I avoid milk and cheeses appart from mozzarella and feta. I also naturally don't have a sweet tooth and avoid sweets and other surgary foods (breeding ground for bacteria in the mouth).

(Quoted from the internet)

Eosinophilic esophagitis is an allergic inflammatory condition of the esophagus. Symptoms are swallowing difficulty, food impaction, and heartburn. The disease was first described in children but occurs in adults as well. Food allergy may play a significant role.
Treatment strategies include dietary modification to exclude food allergens, medical therapy, and mechanical dilatation of the esophagus (I recently found out my Great uncle had this done, and my Great Grandmother had a lot of trouble swallowing her food). The initial approach to the disorder is often allergy evaluation in an attempt to identify the allergens in the diet or environment that may be triggering the disease. If the offending agent is found, the diet is modified so that these allergens are eliminated. There are cases, especially in children, where there are multiple food allergies involved.
EE is a chronic disease associated with an elevated count of eosinophils in the esophagus. Normally, very few or no eosinophils are present in this upper digestive organ. In the past, patients with EE were incorrectly diagnosed as GERD suffererers. These patients were typically prescribed proton pump inhibitors, under the assumption that their problem was caused by excess stomach acid. However, researchers have since discovered that EE patients often have a normal pH in their GI tract. The symptoms of GERD and EE are often similar, and this makes the diagnosis more difficult. But when a patient suffering from esophageal discomfort tests normal from an esophageal pH monitoring, GERD is eliminated as a possible cause and EE becomes the main suspect. In fact, GERD patients may also show an elevated count of eosinophils, but this elevation is much lower than in EE patients.
More recently, researchers have begun looking for links between EE and autoimmune diseases. Some EE patients suffer from skin conditions such as psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis or respiratory conditions such as asthma or allergic rhinitis. At this time, there appears to be no proven link between EE and esophageal cancer.

Lavender
Gluten - The Culprit in my case too

Post by Lavender »

I agree with aliD and I would like to give an account of my own bb problem and how I am trying to over come it.

I suffered from a coated white tongue and chronic BB from a very young age.

I have been on a Candida diet on and for the last 6-8 months assuming that my bad breath is a result of Candida infection. However for the first few months I did not avoid wheat products (except fermented stuff). (I am a vegetarian and so my diet is more restricted). This did not really help my BB at all.

My doctor prescribed Nystatin last November and this did clear my coated tongue to some extent and my bb reduced slightly. As soon as I stopped it my bb became worse.

About four months back I went gluten free completely on the advise of a naturopath and this time my coated tongue was more clear and pink. However as a result of gluten free vegetarian candida diet I lost about 25lb weight. So I reverted to wheat based products to gain some weight. I noticed that my tongue was still clean and pink (may be due high amount of raw food in my diet) but my bb was even worse. This time I could not smell my own breath but got strong reactions for people in the room a number of times.
My bb reduced once I stopped gluten food. I can now talk to people more freely except from close quarters.

I definitely believe it is gluten allergy that I have been suffering from my childhood and candida infection was more of an opportunistic infection which occurred due to my lower immunity (a result of prolonged allergy). I do not claim my bb is completely gone but there is a huge improvement.

The first symptoms of gluten allergy are coated tongue and bad breath. Unfortunately no doctor told me this. Probably my system need more time to recover.
emotional rescue
Sheriff

Post by emotional rescue »

We may be into something here.

surprisingly, this last week have been the least bb week for my in a loooong time.

I never tried a strict diet as a solution for bb, as I never expected that to be a problem in my case. I was more likely to look more into anaerobic bacteria on tongue and products against that, I had a laser tonsillectomy too, that was mostly my path since now.

This last weeks, I' ve returned to doing aerobic exercises, as I returned to train boxing. Is not the first time that i feel that this helps to reduce on some degree my bb. I think it does. I'm not really sure why. One posibility may be that the exercises are so aerobic, and you have to be continously breathing by your nose and exhaling by your mouth, that maybe that continuos caudal of air helps to reduce the amount of anaerobic bacteria in the throat and tongue. I don't know, just a theory.

Added to that, I started to try to get more healthy eating habits, as I always have felt with some kind of lack of energy, and I feel pretty "heavy" after I eat a big meal.
As oppose to that, I started to pay more attention to the fact that, when I eat more healthy, lets say more veggies and fruits, not so much fat stuff, I have more energy and feel a lot more lighter.

The thing is, this week I ve been eating more fruits veggies, brown rice, and mostly fish and chicken without its skin, and very little meat, and very little bread.

It could be casual, but triying to think about what I did different this weeks, that's all I can say I had change.

And for the first time in years I feel that my bb is better, and the weird taste in my mouth is way less too.

It could be something temporary, I don't want to get to hopefull so I won't be so dissapointed after, but maybe there is really and issue with the way I was eating / and the kind of fisic activity. I hope I am going into something here.

fingers crossed
Lavender
Post by Lavender »

I have a teenage daughter who suffers from bb on and off. I have been monitoring her bb as well as mine over the years and this is what I found:

Our bb increases with stress. I need to sleep 8 hours everyday else I end up with increased bb.

As long as my daughter plays sports she is literally bb free. However her bb returns in summer when she is a couch potato.

Exercise is something which we need to pay more emphasis on.There have been a few posts earlier but not many of us seem interested.
aues
Master

Re: Gluten - The Culprit in my case too

Post by aues »

Lavender wrote: My bb reduced once I stopped gluten food. I can now talk to people more freely except from close quarters.

I definitely believe it is gluten allergy that I have been suffering from my childhood and candida infection was more of an opportunistic infection which occurred due to my lower immunity (a result of prolonged allergy). I do not claim my bb is completely gone but there is a huge improvement.

The first symptoms of gluten allergy are coated tongue and bad breath. Unfortunately no doctor told me this. Probably my system need more time to recover.

It might be the case that your bad breath problem is caused by two different problems - each one alone creating bad breath!!! Maybe these two reasons are even linked (can, but needn't be the case).

If I recall correctly Dr. Aydin Murat also wrote on this board that he sometimes sees people with a bad breath problem that is a combination of several issues.

For example: After removing my tonsils (which appeared to be healthy) my bad breath problem decreased severely. But I still have got it. I suppose my bad breath problem is a combination of two reasons. Maybe there is a reason at the root I still haven't discovered and the tonsils got inflammed because of this root reason and made my problem worse.

I want to check if gluten (don't forget it can also be something else in things like wheat) is my problem. It's quite unlikely, but I will give it a try.

Do you still have your tonsils? If you do have them - why don't get rid of them?
Exercise is something which we need to pay more emphasis on.There have been a few posts earlier but not many of us seem interested.
I do believe you. But I don't think this will work for the most of us. And there has to be a reason why most fat lazy bastards ;-) don't have any bad breath...
aues
Master

Post by aues »

aues
Master

Post by aues »

aues
Master

Post by aues »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic