Your Email Address:

First Name:

What's the worst reaction/comment you ever got?

Tell us what happened to you today. It can be sad or happy thing.
FedUp
God

What's the worst reaction/comment you ever got?

Post by FedUp »

Mine was being looked at in disgust and being told that I smelled like I haven't wiped my ass in 4 days.

This was when I nose breathed though.

What about you?

deebo

Post by deebo »

funny thing is it seems to depend on where we live in the world . lots of my UK fellow members say they get direct verbal comments , but not many other places .

lots of times i've had folks say something to their friend or a loud verbal comment like "what stinks up in here ?!!" waving their hand toward me or looking scornfully at me :x . i've gotten "your mouth stinks bro" but not in a rude manner . Worst has been hazing ,like lunch been thrown away , popped tires ... #-o dont wanna remember those times
Tony22

Post by Tony22 »

^haha yep, "your mouth stinks bro" is something I've gotten before, along with "your breath smells like shit"; most of them are pretty generic comments, though. The worst was just seeing someone look grossed out when I was talking to them...
deebo

Post by deebo »

black people can sometimes be more honest than most about telling others they smell bad youtube.com/watch?v=4sq--52mFNY
this cracked me Up .
desprate
Total Newbie

Post by desprate »

hi fedup..
i have the nasal odor problem and bb ..also i have tooth problem 1 of my bottom molar have a mercury filling but it's also broken in half and upper molar is also half broken n i think it's making my breath smell bad..i noticed 1 more thing that some ppl i talk or when they breath it smells really bad that i can't even stand there but it's not them cause when they talk 2 other ppl no body shows any reactions and my brother with whom i go 2 gym i always notice that smell when ever he breaths and asked him did u smell bad odor he confirms me he never smelled my breath or any other odor but the reaction from other ppl tell me diff story..wht u did 2 solve this problem can u tell me plzzzz..thax
ItsgoingtobeOK

Post by ItsgoingtobeOK »

May be 15 years ago when I was working in a very small office and wasn't doing ANYTHING about my chronic bad breath (and I would not eat any breakfast either \:D/ ), a fellow office colleague who did not directly work me, pulled me on a side one day at about 5:00 PM, and said in sort of a helpless and nice way,

"Look, I don't have any problem with it but the office staff has asked me to let you know that you have a strong oral hygiene odor - May be it's because of your religious obligation (he thought perhaps my religion stops me from brushing teeth " ](*,) ) and I respect it but can you do something about it?

I guess that was the worst day of my BB life. My soul was broken into pieces while I was driving back home.

The office staff was still nice to me, I started carrying a small travel size Listerine bottle that I would use after every other hour. It gave me some confidence and I also started taking over the board oral hygiene steps not to offend others.
ttlxman

Post by ttlxman »

My then-best-friend lost his temper dealing with my BB and angrily yelled at me in front of my classmates informing me I stank and to stop breathing on him. I was chewing gum and always speak facing away from people so I was surprised and saddened he had such a reaction.

If it was any possible for school to be more hell on Earth for someone suffering from this disease I was left both friendless and humiliated.. Dropped out shortly after when my panic attacks became so frequent I just had no will power left to deal with it anymore.

Anyone else try timing their breathing to when people are least likely to detect nasal/oral odor? I must've been red faced 24/7.
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

at school when I was a kid; a classmate point blank yelled "eeewww, your breath stinks soo bad" with a look of disgust/ covering her nose. She then went on to question me about my oral hygiene/ how many times I brushed my teeth etc
betterdays

Post by betterdays »

A very close friend of mine asked me if I had any gum and I told her no, and she looked me right in the eyes and told me I need to keep gum with me at all times. It hurt my feelings but she was right.
oneday4800
Advanced
Post by oneday4800 »

The worst was probably when a guy at a party told me I should play Russian roulette after looking at me in disgust
forced2balone

Post by forced2balone »

I'm a black female living in the city in baltimore. MD people usually say they have a headache or their stomach hurt. Or they ask for gums or mints. They always refer to themselves but they are talking about the person with the bb
somethinstinks
Advanced

Post by somethinstinks »

betterdays wrote:A very close friend of mine asked me if I had any gum and I told her no, and she looked me right in the eyes and told me I need to keep gum with me at all times. It hurt my feelings but she was right.
that's a good friend. most of the people around me dont say anything and just react
Brit444
Total Newbie

public transportation commentary

Post by Brit444 »

I went through a full year of daily humiliation on public transportation. I worked at a call center and which for me was a nightmare especially with my coworkers who talked about me with their friends daily in hearing distance, down to the direct fart noises as soon as I walked by. I had no peace. When I would get on public transportation in closed spaces, I was ridiculed regularly, at work 8 hours of hell, at home little to intimacy from bf due to bad breath. Now its not like I didn't take drastic measures to cure my bb. Around the age of 20, I had a complete oral cleansing, the works. This all included root canals, cured from periodontal disease, Porcelain crowns and a totally healthy mouth from the age of 20 and up. I spent thousands of dollars on my mouth only to struggle with the same problem. My regimen has been the watered down peroxide treatment, cutting out red meat, green leaf diet, no dairy, taking green tea supplements and ginseng tea with inconsistent results. The normal obsessive brushing, flossing rinsing mouth with peroxide, lemon peels, orange peels, chlorophyll.

I'm getting to a point to where I'm tired of letting bad breath dictate my life. I can say that I first responded to this site/forum when I was 23 years old at a time when I was suffering terribly, miserably on a daily basis commuting to work, and working in a callcenter environment. I did not have the courage or support to stand up for myself or within myself b/c of this problem. I am now 28 years old and still have the same problem with bb.

These days when I hear people laughing about my bb behind my back, I randomly shoot out a comment about their frailties in mid-driff of their comment to throw them off their game. I shoot back and I hit back with my words, because it is not fair for me to not enjoy my life over a flaw that I secretly battle daily that just so happens to be my achille heels. Life is too dang on short and I'm realizing this the older I get. I do everything that I can do to fix it. Although this is embarrassing, I talk about it to my family and close friends. Like everyone on this site, it is nice to talk to other people who struggle with it, who totally get it....

When I get those bb encounters with people spraying perfume, I especially make sure to take mine out and spray mine and talk about they nasty a** perfume out loud and sit back and watch their surprised expressions, normally they respond less and say less about me. Not that this works all the time, you just gotta know when and not to do it. But I will say that talking about it makes me fell like less of an outcast.

To all of those who struggle with bb on this site and in general. You are one in a million. I often wonder why I given bad breath. Growing up I was a good student, good kid, and I consider myself beautiful. Even though I'm approaching the age of 30, the teenyboppers are still in competition with me and still threatened by me. I must be doing something right. I have great qualities about me and I still believe that if I given this problem that some ways it is a barrier to keeping me from speaking, being expressive and limiting who I really am. I think that since this issue is such a taboo problem that we are meant to do something greater about this. We are more than this and in some ways I feel that instead of hiding away in shame, we need to be vocal about it and talk our shame. I'm tired of people shying away from this whole topic in general. I did not choose this. I fight it daily but I believe that there is a greater meaning to all of this. I am not ashamed of my bb. It is not my fault and I we all deserve to be happy and not live like hermits.

Maybe I haven't gotten to a point where I can let it roll off my back yet or affect me. Sometimes I can, but when it gets down on the inside I can't, I have to fight back, talk back so that I don't fall apart. I have friends, but like most friends that you guys describe in your circle, they still talk about your bb. I've learned to put distance between those friends who do that to me. They stay at arms length in that area of my heart. I can't take it, when its that close to me sometimes. However I do value joking and bb joke/comments from those who get it, suffered through are suffering from it. Its good to laugh about it. Now I know that many are ready to offer solutions, but I don't really want any at this point. I really feel relieved to at least be in community with those who get it. Its not like I'm speaking a foreign language or ebonics. Ya'll get it and I appreciate all of the comments, posts and experiences that you guys have courageously spoke about.... Wow what a long post... To those who make it to the end thankyou.............. :D :D LOL
Brit444
Total Newbie

Post by Brit444 »

somethinstinks wrote:
betterdays wrote:A very close friend of mine asked me if I had any gum and I told her no, and she looked me right in the eyes and told me I need to keep gum with me at all times. It hurt my feelings but she was right.
that's a good friend. most of the people around me dont say anything and just react

I agree, as long as she doesn't stop talking or hanging out with you b/c of it. I guess I have mixed feelings, gum doesn't always work for me, so in a way I take it offensively especially when it makes the smell morph into something ungodly. Depends, sugarless sometimes works, but ultimately a real friend will not drop you like a dirty old diaper because of other peoples opinions. Or make you feel worse especially if they know about your daily struggle, but it again they are human and do dumb stuff. Just think about a time a two that you may have said something or did something about a situation you didn't understand. I just judge their overall behavior and let them have some slip-ups but if its too hurtful and toxic reconsider your friendship with them.
Brit444
Total Newbie

Post by Brit444 »

forced2balone wrote:I'm a black female living in the city in baltimore. MD people usually say they have a headache or their stomach hurt. Or they ask for gums or mints. They always refer to themselves but they are talking about the person with the bb

I get where you are coming from. They do it all the time in Ohio where I live. I too am black and you know how us black people can react. We can't just be quiet, somebody always got to say something or put on a show.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic