Your Email Address:

First Name:

question re: xylitol

Acute halitosis posts goes here
Hooch

question re: xylitol

Post by Hooch »

Hi guys
Just bought a bag of perfect sweet 100% Xylitol...erm 'scuse my ignorance but what do I do with it?

A. do I eat it?
B.swish it around my mouth and spit out?
C. dissolve it in water and swish it or drink it?

all of the above?
any suggestions would be most appreciated

:P

halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Where did you get yours from hooch? I tried one Sainsburys store but I couldnt see any and didnt feel like explaining to anyone what this was and why I needed it so I left. On the perfect sweet website it says its available at Tesco too and Holland and Barrets, havent tried there yet.

Sorry if ur not from the UK, im just assuming that you are.
Hooch

Post by Hooch »

Hi Hal

I bought mine from a Sainsburys Superstore in London....You can get it from branches of Tesco, Sainsburys and Holland and Barrett - probably the larger branches. I really hope it works. Good luck in finding it :)
popaloo

Post by popaloo »

Hey Hooch and Hali,
I have just received mine about half an hour ago!
Hali i live in England and i bought mine off ebay. It was £10 for 600g and it came within 2 days.
Hooch i hope you get some answers with your questions as i would like to know what to do with it! I have been tasting it and its beautiful! it tastes even better than sugar :shock:
I bet we put on about 3 stone in weight!!! im a guy so i couldnt care less about that anyway lol
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi Hooch & popaloo,
thanks for your information and good luck to you both and anyone else who is trying this. I tried a Tesco Extra store today but they didnt have it. I'll try H&B when I get the chance. At the moment I'm using a pack of Smints containing Xylitol, but not the regular tiny things, these are quite large and they have 2 layers. Its making my saliva feel like it contains sugar. I can taste a constant taste of sweetness in my mouth. I'm only taking one after brushing my teeth and whenever I've eaten anything and the freshness doesnt wear off at all.

I still get a bit concerned when my mouth gets dry from doing sports and exertion. I've still got one remaining impacted unerupted lower wisdom tooth on one side, which I'll eventually have removed. Sometimes I can taste a slight sourness/skankiness coming from the gum there so maybe this is giving me some small amount of odour, but nothing like what the other wisdom tooth was causing. I dont detect this taste on any other areas of gum.

Xylitol is definitely good for my mouth. This is the only BB measure I'm taking btw. Also, popaloo, I understand this is very low in calories compared to normal sugar, so you dont need to be concerned about adding weight - so if you were to replace sugar with this you'll be reducing your effective calorie intake.

Hooch I'm not sure what is the most effective way to make use of it's supposed beneficial effect on BB, but its having an effect on me just by sucking a Smint after normal brushing. Try dissolving some in water and using it like a mouthwash to see how that goes. You could even carry it around with you disguised as a bottle of mineral water and take frequent sips.
popaloo

Post by popaloo »

Hi Hali,
I had my first go this afternoon and like you say its a strange feeling. Like my previous post said i can't believe how sweet it tastes. In a sense this is weird as whenever i eat anything sweet my initial thought is 'i am going to smell really bad after this'. I didn't sense any sour taste even a couple of hours after taking half a teaspoon so that's good.
I don't know how much this is going to improve the smell as i have sinus issues but it seems like a fantastic product to use on a daily basis for freshness and a bit of a confidence booster.
I am going to use some in my neti-pot also. I had to stop using the salt water solution as it was burning my sinuses too much.
Good luck everyone!!
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

i just ordered it. I think it's supposed to adjust the ph in our mouth, among other things.
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

i still haven't gotten the xylitol yet...i hope that co did not scam me grrrrr....they're in Australia and they don't have a toll-free number...they could easily just "hide" from me, couldn't they?
lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

Does anybody know where I can get some smints from? I read you can get them in other flavours and think this would be good rather than mint all the time, the lemon sounds yummy!
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Lisa where do you live?
I found Perfect Sweet in my local Sainsbury's last week (UK). I think they are probably just starting to stock up cos for weeks they havent had any, but they do now. Didnt buy any tho cos the large Smints work as well as i think xylitol is ever going to work. There is no question it reduces plaque buildup. What it does for breath I can only say from about 4 years ago when I know that smints were the most effective sweets that I could eat.

And obviously, if the source of your BB is from the nose or lungs etc, its not likely to do much at all.
lisa1983

Post by lisa1983 »

I'm also in the UK too. I've also looked online but the postage is a bit high for a few packets of sweets! I will have a look in my local sainsburys. Will it be with the dental stuff or chewing gum? I would hate to have to ask! My probelem seems to be nasal but I'll try anything. I normally just suck the extra mints, as I really don't like strong mints. At the moment I'm fine though, I have another 2 weeks antibotics and have been using a neti pot. No doubt it will return when I've finished my course but hey right now I'm care free :-)
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Hi lisa, Smints are sold everywhere in the UK, every newsagent, petrol station, supermarket sells them where I live. I've seen the other flavours too. If you can manage to find a sainsburys that sells perfect sweet that would be better I think because its pure xylitol (no mint or flavours) and I dont think you will need to do anything more than melt a teaspoon in some warm water and use it like a mouthwash to test whether it can help you or not by supposedly reducing the acidity in your mouth.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic