Your Email Address:

First Name:

It's gone

Acute halitosis posts goes here
Carri

It's gone

Post by Carri »

Hello everyone,

I will give here a detailed background to my problem. I am a 24 yr old student and I have dealt with bad breathe for two years. The past 18 months or so I didn't care at all, I thought well yeah its normal, I should brush more, floss, chew gum all day and worst case go see a dentist. But nothing changed, it ruined many dates with other girls and just killed my social interactions in university. I worked part time also in a type of work where I had to communicate with clients, and I saw the reactions all the time, wasn't too good. I quit the job for other reasons but I'm sure someone would have told me sooner or later. I tried to cure it once for all so I bought a certain brand (I don't know if I'm allowed to state the label on the forum). It worked the first time, I was happy that it went away that easy. The second time it stopped working. So I tried all their product, I thought eventually something was going to work, and If I have to pay 50$ every month so be it. But unfortunately, or fortunately it didn't work so now I knew that it is serious. And I post on the acute subsection because when I did the finger test it smelled like feces, and I know it was bad. I always had the morning breath, a permanent feeling/taste close to the teeth in the back of my jaw. I went to the ENT, he said nothing was wrong and scheduled me for X-ray on my chest. I thought that I wasn't going to do that and that's stupid (like I know more than a doctor, lol). I should have I guess.

I'm going to tell right away what I did and tell you about my background after, maybe some can recognize the same.

So for the first time the bad breath is gone. I did the finger test last night and smelled nothing, so I thought it was from the food that I ate and that it was temporary. But the most amazing thing was that this morning I did the finger test as I woke up and smelled nothing. Since I feel that this temporary (or permanent, if the Universe aligns for me) success was due to this forum I wanted to share my story.

So right away I started doing what is written in this thread,

viewtopic.php?t=3886

and it made a lot of sense. I went to buy the enzymes but I was hesitant, I didn't want to rely on it. In 2 weeks I have only used it 5 times, during lunch (noon meal), therefore I don't believe it is the most important point.

But, I must say that I liked right away the idea that the breath doesn't originate in the mouth but in the stomach, so it was time for a diet change. I read a little about alkaline food and added a lot more raw vegetables to my plate. I reduced everything else and doubled up on raw green stuff. As I will say later for my background, it was very hard for me to not eat too much. I have always worked out and eating less means losing weight, specially for something that I wasn't sure was going to work. But now I know that it works (at least for today and yesterday).

So to recapitulate, I reduced everything else for the lunch, especially the meat, which I thought would give me the most digestive problem, and added a lot of raw stuff (pepper, lettuce, broccoli). Sometimes I used the enzymes, but not always. For a snack I would just make a salad of cucumber, tomato and lettuce and noticed that it worked sort of like a mouth cleaner, I wouldn't have bad breath for a while, but of course it came back after.

At night I just refuse to eat meat, so rice, pasta, eggs or vegetables. I would still make sure that it is something that is easy to digest and not mix too many types of food at the same time.

Finally, to make sure that there is no build up for too long, I started taking slowly fibre supplements. After 2-3 days of functioning (read : heavy toilet work) , the bad smell went away.

This is what I plan to do for at least a month. A lot of vegetables, especially raw. Fibre supplements, drop the enzymes supplement and hopefully this is a final solution.

My background, I have always had allergies, and recently I felt a strong activity in my nose and throat region (I swallow all the time, my nose is blocked most of the time etc.) that pushed me to go to the ENT to see if the bad breath doesn't come from the 'post nasal drip'.

Two years ago (plus or minus some months) I started drinking milk heavily, 1-2 Liter per day. I became lactose intolerant and I had serious bloating. This made me think that I might have digestive problems for other foods too, as I was always bloated most of the time (since I started doing the new 'diet' I'm not bloated). Also I started taking whey gainer, for a good year and stopped when my bad breath became serious.

This is all, this is my first sign of progress since forever.

emotional rescue
Sheriff

Post by emotional rescue »

Good for you!

Please keep us updated
Carri

Post by Carri »

Hi,

here is a little update. The day that I woke up with no trace of halitosis, I went and ate a huge plate of chicken and rice (lol). I didn't use any enzyme pill. Well that evening (last night) I did the finger test and the characteristic bad smell was there.

It didn't bother me because I knew it was the chicken. Today I woke up in the morning with bad breath. I had (a very little amount) of turkey and rice at home (with enzyme pills this time) at lunch. Again green and raw vegetables and fibre supplement. I went outside for about 3 hours and now that I'm back I did the finger test and nothing. It's pretty obvious in my case that it's a digestive problem.

It would be nice if someone else followed what I did and see results. Tomorrow I'm going to eat at home again but without digestive pills to see how it goes. I'm pretty sure the bad breath will not be back. For now I'm restricted in my meat intake, which sort of sucks but it's a fair trade-off if you ask me!
222chick
Advanced

Post by 222chick »

Any updates Carri?
Carri

Post by Carri »

Hello 222chick!

I tried to come back and post many times but the forum was out, I was a bit scared that it closed for good!

Anyway here is the update. I can't really remember well if it was fully cured or not when I was doing all the things I said I did in my first post (but it's true that I woke up one morning without ANY bad breath for the first time), but I decided to not use digestive enzymes and fiber supplements. I think part of my problem was that I became lactose intolerant because I was drinking milk a lot, so I figured that instead of trying to compensate with enzymes I will take control and do it the normal way. I just don't want to load up on enzymes and find in 3-4 years that I can't digest anything anymore because I played with supplements.

Anyway, I went to see a doctor. I told him about my intolerance and he told me to eat 1 apple in the morning, 1 in the night (takes the role of the fiber supplement, which was coherent with the first post) and one bowl of plain yogurt in the morning and at night. He told me that if it's a digestive problem I should give time to my stomach to 'restore' its normal functions. Plus plenty of water.

So of course I do more (lol) and eat yogurt also during the day. I have no problem with digesting it (my lactose intolerance doesn't prevent me from eating plain yogurt) and it affect my digestion, so I'm hoping that it's getting to work in my stomach. Also I think it has a good texture to just wrap around the food in the stomach and mask the bacteria. Anyway I will update more on that as I do it, I'm 1 week in.

Unfortunately I still get reaction but at this point what can I do. I'm doing my part and I'm trying really hard. I'm 24 and I have to go to work, I'm thinking about my career and I want to have kids one day so..I brush my teeth at work but it still comes from the back of my throat so probably from my stomach. The dentist thought I had very good teeth and gums, ent doctor didn't find anything in my nose and ears so my battle is focused on digestion improvement.

I think if by the end of the year it doesn't go away or doesn't improve I will try some crazy shit like eating pears for a week and record in a journal what happens, lol.
Carri

Post by Carri »

It's really time for an update. If I post it's because I have found something useful that helped me a lot, but before a chronological update through the different phases.

1) I remember one day I woke up and did the finger test, it smelled bad, the usual bad. Then I did the finger test on each of my wisdom tooth, and one in particular smelled really bad. It smelled like egg residue and I ate egg before going to sleep. That made me opt for wisdom teeth removal. I went for all 4 at once. It gave me some hope but a few month later and nothing had changed. My mouth was very dry, my tongue had a white coating.

2) One night my tongue was burning, and my mouth was dry no matter how much liquid I drank. I went to the doctor and he prescribed Nystatin (anti-fungus) for 10 days. He said the tongue looked normal but nothing about bad breath. But since I told him my tongue was burning I think he listened and tried to help me. The coating was gone after the nystatin cure, and for up to a few hours after I applied the solution I did not have bad breath so again another ray of hope. The front of my tongue got redder but the back had still white spot. My mouth was still dry. After a while I realized the bad breath was still present. But I was kind of happy that I made progress somehow.

3) Up to this point I was constantly chewing gum, gargling salt and baking soda, flossing, brushing many times per day. But nothing changed, my mouth was still dry. One night my throat was sore and in my country to 'open' the throat when it's 'clogged' (during a cold or sickness for example) and I decided to suck on Quince seeds. I realized that i) when I sucked on it my mouth became normally moist and ii) the throat was much better. I could talk to others without any reactions when the saliva was constantly flowing, and maybe the bacteria in the throat were 'washed away'. I continued with the seeds in the morning (even if my throat wasn't sore) and my mouth is now moist and normal. Nothing like before.

I have now 100% confidence when I speak with people WHILE USING THE QUINCE SEED, and I think it's better than gum. However I still need to build some confidence to be fully operational like some few years ago, and also find out if the back of my tongue is still a problem or not.

The biggest improvement is the normal feeling in my mouth and the constant saliva flow I would say.

Thank you for reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quince
Shit4Breath
Master

Post by Shit4Breath »

Hi Carri,
Thanks for coming back to us for an update. I'm kind of confused, are you cured? It sounds like you are saying that the antifungal helped alittle and the quice seeds helped finish you off?
ruch
Sheriff

Post by ruch »

carri, sounds like dry mouth be a big factor. there is a toothpaste and rinse you can try for dry mouth. don't know if it works but it is supposed to help.
Carri

Post by Carri »

Thank you, my mouth is not dry anymore which really helps.

I don't want to say if I'm cure or not so soon, see the thread title, it was completely false. I want to live through a few weeks or maybe months normally like before and see if I get reactions. I will update on the situation. But my fear is still present and I am not ready to talk to someone face to face without anything in my mouth yet, even though it feels more fresh than before.

But what is sure is that from the first time I signed up I'm doing better. I remember having 'fecal' odor while doing the finger test, and now things appear to be normal.

I really wanted to share the quince seed though maybe it will help anyone else with dry mouth.

Thank you.
SHITBREATH
Advanced

Post by SHITBREATH »

Hi Carri!
my symptoms are similar to yours.
Where can i buy Quince seed?
I live in Sweden Europe
Carri

Post by Carri »

Hey,

I don't think you can buy seeds in a box. The easiest way is to buy quince and take out the seeds one by one, the fruit is good has a nice taste so basically everything is being used lol.

I hope it will help you!
Carri

Post by Carri »

Update :

I went to the doctor with a list of every symptom I had that could be related to halitosis :

acidic mouth after talking a lot
constant bloating
acid reflux in my throat

The doctor asked me if I was tested for H. Pylori and I said no. I was happy because there are a lot of threads talking about it. He told me to go get tested (about a month and a week ago) and he gave me medication for the acidic reflux :

Omeprazole 20 mg, to take once a day before breakfast
A 100% natural fluid (forgot the name), but you have to drop 20 droplets in water and drink it before each meal.

The first time I took the natural liquid my stomach felt cold, as if all the acid was going away so I was happy with that.

During the first 2 days of taking the Omeprazole I felt normal, it's hard to describe but I knew I had a clean mouth and stomach. No wierd taste, no tingling inside the mouth etc. I even spoke with a student sitting face to face, I spoke with all my colleagues without being afraid or holding my breath as I speak like I always did.

After 3-4 days I started getting the wierd sensations back, or said differently I didn't have that normal feel. I thought maybe it was psychological and that I'm cured without knowing. I hesitantly tried to spoke with colleagues again and I got the reactions (finger under nose while I was speaking). F**k. Also as I was taking the omeprazole I got, every morning, a salty taste in my mouth, which I never got.

The waiting for the result of my H. Pylori test gave me hope so I didn't cared too much, I went to chewing gum all day at the office, even though some time it's not enough.

Fast forward one month later (last week), I went to the doctor to see my test results. I was PRAYING to have a positive results. Otherwise I wouldn't know what to do. The doctor told me that the test came back, that according to the test,

above 31 you're positive
below 15 you're negative

she said I was at 22, but that she will give me the treatment anyway. I was so damn happy. I'm taking the Hp-Pac twice a day :

Prevacid (Lansoprazole 30 mg) - this is like omeprazole, but in higher dose and twice daily. Even though it's much more intake per day I don't have the salt taste in my mouth in the morning

Biaxin 500 mg (Clarithromycin)

Amoxicillin 500 mg

After the first day of treatment I didn't have a bad breath in the morning. No finger test, but before I would breath out under the pillow and after a while I would notice a bad smell. Every morning since I'm taking this medicine I have neutral smell. I stopped doing the finger in throat test as it was not advised by Dr. Aydin on this forum, as it will turn you into a paranoid sufferer. To be honest I speak more comfortably, specially at distance and I'm not chewing gum all day, so there is a massive improvement but damn I can't feel that normal sensation again, the once that I had for those 2 days.

Coming home today I did the finger test and it smelled like feces....

I still have 3 days of treatment to go to eliminate H. Pylori but to be honest I don't think it will solve anything, I have to start looking for other causes.

As I write I also know that I'm not feeling normal and that bad breath is present. I just drank a glass of milk and I bloated right away. I'm lactose intolerant and that started right before my bad breath, and I believe that it caused it.

BUT, I want to be like I was before. No special gum, or avoiding food. It's all or nothing and no compromises.

Things I want to try :

-Endoscopy
-Colon cleansing
-Oil pulling for a week

So as an update, it's NOT gone :/
flavouredpig

Post by flavouredpig »

Hi Carri,
Are you still on that alkaline diet?

Thank you.
Carri

Post by Carri »

Hey!

No, as I mentioned I don't want to try to find what kind of food gives me bad breath, as the method for knowing if you're cured or not is not precise and can only be seen on the long run, and I don't think I eat badly.

Update : the 7 day antiobiotic is finished, toward the end it was giving me nausea and I was verryyy weak physically. Thank god it's over.

As for reactions I think I got one today, but I feel more confident than before that's for sure, but I'm not fully comfortable talking to someone at 30 cm face to face. The back of my tongue still smells bad, but not as bad as before, it has a somewhat fece smell but very light (for the lack of better words). I was curious to know what the back of the tongue of 'normal' people is suppose to smell like, because usually we don't get access there so there must be tons of bacteria even for non-sufferers. Maybe what distinguish 'us' with 'others' is the presence of more volatile bacteria that can reach further. I don't know :-s
tieuvodanh

Post by tieuvodanh »

Carri,
If you use your finger to scrape the front part and back part of your tongue and see that the back part is grainy (not smooth like the front part), then the cause is acid reflux (or silent one) has changed the surface of your tongue. And I think about 2 solutions for this problem:
1- laser surgery to zap the grainy part
2- Grind seed + nut + fiber+.... and put them into a capsule and drink it (like when you take your meds), and that become your meals everyday so that the bacteria on your tongue has nothing to eat (b/c the capsule will go straight to your stomach). But that 's only a masking + temporary solution b/c the grainy part is still there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic