Your Email Address:

First Name:

Procedures & surgeries

Acute halitosis posts goes here
ihateme76
Total Newbie

Procedures & surgeries

Post by ihateme76 »

I've turned into a surgery & procedure addict!!! I no longer have insurance, but when I get it again I'm have the following done:

-Acid Reflux procedure (they claims it cures all acid reflux)
-Sleep Apena procedure (supposed to shave down parts of the tongue)

I've had all my wisdom tooth removed, tonsils removed, corrective surgery to my tonsils, sinus surgery, and my uvla removed!!!

I suggest if you are just noticing signs of BB, please don't stop going to different ENT's until one will remove your tonsils... Remove them immediately!!!!

Also, as you dentist to have your tongue scrapping reviewed for types of bacteria!!! If that dentist will not do it then move on to the next one that will...

Please don't waste your time or money with these doctors that don't know how to treat individuals with BB!!!!

I've wasted too much already, & I wish someone would have given me this information sooner!!!

Sign,

Tired & but not quitting

Stankie

Post by Stankie »

Last edited by Stankie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FedUp
God

Re: Procedures & surgeries

Post by FedUp »

ihateme76 wrote:I've turned into a surgery & procedure addict!!! I no longer have insurance, but when I get it again I'm have the following done:

-Acid Reflux procedure (they claims it cures all acid reflux)
-Sleep Apena procedure (supposed to shave down parts of the tongue)

I've had all my wisdom tooth removed, tonsils removed, corrective surgery to my tonsils, sinus surgery, and my uvla removed!!!

I suggest if you are just noticing signs of BB, please don't stop going to different ENT's until one will remove your tonsils... Remove them immediately!!!!

Also, as you dentist to have your tongue scrapping reviewed for types of bacteria!!! If that dentist will not do it then move on to the next one that will...

Please don't waste your time or money with these doctors that don't know how to treat individuals with BB!!!!

I've wasted too much already, & I wish someone would have given me this information sooner!!!

Sign,

Tired & but not quitting
Have you tested for H Pylori?

It seems crazy you still have BB after all those procedures.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Stankie wrote:If you have done all those things, why do you still have BB? And why would you recommend them for others if they haven't 'cured' you or seemingly helped you even?
That's exactly what i was gonna ask him. His recommendations are pure madness.

@OP : You forgot one potential cause of BB that can be addressed with surgery: deviated septum.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

Don't know if you're still around but did you ever try a barium swallow to test for any pouches in the throat such as zenkers diverticulum? it's quite uncommon but definitely worth looking into imo.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
coconuthead
Advanced

Post by coconuthead »

FedUp is that you in that picture, out of curiosity?
why me?

Post by why me? »

Fedup...I read your posts and can relate to your frustration. I had all the procedures you mentioned except for:

"tonsils removed, corrective surgery to my tonsils, sinus surgery, and my uvla removed!!!"

I went to the GI doctor and told her about my concern with my bb breath. She scheduled an upper endoscopy and a colonoscoipy. She said I had a few pockets in my instestines. My Hpylori was fine and I had a slight slippage of the sphicter. This was in Aug. 2011.

I also had a sleep apnea test done a couple of years ago and they issued me a cPap machine. It helps with the snoring and provides me with energy. I got the machine in June of 2011.

I started noticing my bb breath about 12 years ago when I turned 30. I got a job that provided me with good benefits. I used those benefits to my advantage. I had tons of procedures done on my teeth, even down to getting my gums shaved. I see a hygenist 4 times a year to do deep cleaning in my gums. Nothing seemed to help the issue.

I found this post back in 2004 and tried all suggested ideas and remedies. There was one post where a lady mentioned using a water pick and colegate. I tried it and I was bb free for a month. My bb breath came back with a vengence. I spent tons of money on remedies and some worked temporarily, but nothing really solved the problem. I took charcoal tablets, mint tablets, TheraBreath products, tongue cleaners, mouth sprays, gum, health store remedies, probiotic drinks and pills, Candida diet. The elimination of dairy and sugar products helped a little, but it was too strict for me.

Soooo....it had been over a year since I went to the dentist. I purchased the Phillips Sonicare toothe brush and noticed my tongue had a little less white film on it. I started using the water pick again also. I scheduled a perio scaling on the leftside of my gums and that shit hurt like hell, but my hygenist used a prescribed mouthwash? She said it would help kill the irritated bacteria being released after the scaling. I noticed 2 days after brushing with the Sonicare tooth brush, , the scaling and using the water pick I didn't have bb. Call it a miracle, or something, but I don't know if it was the combination of the scaling and toothbrush, but something's happened...for the better. I still have a light layer of white film on my tongue, but no bb. I am having the right side of my gums scaled tomorrow, along with a filling and a tooth extraction. I'm hoping and praying this isn't another "temporary" miracle.

I've been at my job for 13 years, so I decided to test my breath on my coworkers. I was talking to coworkers in the office at a close up range and a lot of them immediately stepped back from fear they would smell my bb. It was weird to see their reaction when there wasn't the smell of bb coming from my mouth. Some people were hesitant to get closer for fear they would smell something. Even when they would walk by my cubicle before, some would make noises like they were letting out their breath because they had been holding it in when going by my cubicle.

I used to smell my breath when talking to other people and I don't anymore. My cubicle doesn't smell either. My bb breath smelled like feces and sometimes dog breath. I asked my hygenists about it and she said it may be a build up of bacteria in my pockets. I have receiding gum lines and they're worried my teeth will start to get worse overtime.

I neglected my teethe and gums in my 20s. I smoked and drank a lot and never went to the dentist unless I had to have my wisdom or rotten teethe pulled. I have't smoked in over 10 years and I seldom drink. I have bad tarter and plaque problems.

My suggestion would be to ask for a perio cleaning and see if there is even a slight difference in your breath. Even if the dentist doesn't suggest it, be persistent.

Here is a link I read re: halitosis. It has some good info, especially about the gums.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Halitosis

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will keep you updated on my progress. If I can stay bb free for at least a month, it may be a good chance the problem is caused by the bacteria in my gum pockets and I'll have to get scalings done 4 times a year.
Stinkynick
Junior

Post by Stinkynick »

@whyme? Keep us posted, I've heard of multiple cure reports from perio planing and scaling. Ill be getting this done soon, not sure it will help but it can't really make the problem worse
why me?

Post by why me? »

Stinckynick...

I had my toothe extraction, filling and right side scaling done yesterday. I was afraid my bb breath would come back with the toothe extraction due to the blood released in my mouth. I brushed and used the water pick last night, I still have no bb. My tongue does still have a light layer of white film on it, but it doesn't seem to cause bb. I noticed when I get up in the morning, my tongue is covered in white film, but I don't have bad morning breath.

As far as procedures goe, I even had my metal fillings removed and replaced with non-metal fillings. I have gone to extremes for 10+ years trying to find a cure. I even took live probiotic products, which are very expensive, hoping it would help relieve bb if it were caused by my digestive system.

I will keep you posted. I go back again in a month and the hygenist will take a look at my gum line and pockets and see if the scaling procedure has helped lessen the depth of my pockets and receeding gum line.
FedUp
God

Post by FedUp »

coconuthead wrote:FedUp is that you in that picture, out of curiosity?
lol no, i have a bit more hair. I just googled "scratching head" since it's what I'm doing on the regular.
Tonsillectomy - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
why me?

Follow-up

Post by why me? »

Since I last posted on Nov. 17, my bb has returned, but I have more control over it than before. The left side of my gums/teeth in the back react to temperatured solids/liquids and causes my teeth and gums to throb with pain. I called the dentist they said to try using Synsodine. This was a week ago. The pain still continues, but not as bad. I have used Crest whitening mouth wash and Act. They didn't help with the bb breath, so I went back to using my TheraBreath from Dr. Katz. This seems to help better than the other two. When I floss in the area where the pain is, there is light bleeding and the floss smells.

I went for my follow up yesterday and my pockets levels are better. They use a scaling method (1-3 = healthy gums; 4-9 = having periodontal disease and infections). Most of my pockets were 2's and 3's. The area where my teeth and gums hurt, I have pocket that is a level 6. She said the utensils they use only allow for bacteria removal for pockets up to level 5. They had me make an appt. with a perio and she is going to cut into the gum line and clean even deeper than the scaling given to me by the Hygenist. She places the gum back over the tooth and puts a stitch to close it back up. The Periodonist will determine if I will need to have my pockets injected with Arestin, which is an antibiotic that's injected into the infected pockets to kill any bacteria the scaling has left behind or just won't go away. In my opinion and past observations, I feel like the bacteria is so deep into my gums that it causes my breath to smell bad because it's connected/located near my sinus cavity which is near my nasal area causing the breath to smell like the bacteria in my teeth

I have my appt. with the Perio on Feb. 5th and I will let you know how the procedure goes and what she says.
trenski
Junior

Re: Follow-up

Post by trenski »

why me? wrote:Since I last posted on Nov. 17, my bb has returned, but I have more control over it than before. The left side of my gums/teeth in the back react to temperatured solids/liquids and causes my teeth and gums to throb with pain. I called the dentist they said to try using Synsodine. This was a week ago. The pain still continues, but not as bad. I have used Crest whitening mouth wash and Act. They didn't help with the bb breath, so I went back to using my TheraBreath from Dr. Katz. This seems to help better than the other two. When I floss in the area where the pain is, there is light bleeding and the floss smells.

I went for my follow up yesterday and my pockets levels are better. They use a scaling method (1-3 = healthy gums; 4-9 = having periodontal disease and infections). Most of my pockets were 2's and 3's. The area where my teeth and gums hurt, I have pocket that is a level 6. She said the utensils they use only allow for bacteria removal for pockets up to level 5. They had me make an appt. with a perio and she is going to cut into the gum line and clean even deeper than the scaling given to me by the Hygenist. She places the gum back over the tooth and puts a stitch to close it back up. The Periodonist will determine if I will need to have my pockets injected with Arestin, which is an antibiotic that's injected into the infected pockets to kill any bacteria the scaling has left behind or just won't go away. In my opinion and past observations, I feel like the bacteria is so deep into my gums that it causes my breath to smell bad because it's connected/located near my sinus cavity which is near my nasal area causing the breath to smell like the bacteria in my teeth

I have my appt. with the Perio on Feb. 5th and I will let you know how the procedure goes and what she says.
Good Luck on the procedure and please update!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic