Your Email Address:

First Name:

breath IMPROVED when sick?

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
jackson
Junior

breath IMPROVED when sick?

Post by jackson »

I've heard of people with 'normal' people asking why their breath gets bad when they're sick.

However, as a Bad Breath sufferer, im wondering why my breath seems to improve somewhat when i'm sick? Has anoyone experienced this or know the answer?

Usually my morning breath is just awful.
However, at the moment i'm batting a very sore throat. Tonsils look infected etc, although my breath seems to smell almost normal.
I've noticed this phenomenon before.

(on another note I asked my Doctor to refer me to an ENT person to discuss taking my tonsils out and he refused :( )

I'm sure my tonsils (tonsil stones) are the best candidate to explain my bad breath

Ihatemybreath
Master

Post by Ihatemybreath »

It is not that you breath improved, it is just that your sense of smell gets poor. Okay, baby?
Nespresso

Post by Nespresso »

This is very interesting because I experienced the same thing before.

I think it is the fact that your sense of smell gets worse when you're sick.

For me, what I have noticed is that people's reactions also are... less when I am sick.

This seems to indicate that I probably have a type 5 BB... or at least some of it is just mental... when I act more normal around people, they don't give me reaction, in other words.
guzler
Advanced

Post by guzler »

jackson. you are totaly right when im sick my bb diminish dramaticly, and not because you loose your sense of smell we can't even smell our breath any way . i notice people don't back away from me when im sick .
jackson
Junior

Post by jackson »

I had already considered the possibility that it's simply a matter of my sense of smell being messed up. I don't personally believe that to be the case, though.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's something to do with the white blood cells that the body is producing to fight any infection/bacteria.
sandspiegel
Junior

Re: breath IMPROVED when sick?

Post by sandspiegel »

jackson wrote:I've heard of people with 'normal' people asking why their breath gets bad when they're sick.

However, as a Bad Breath sufferer, im wondering why my breath seems to improve somewhat when i'm sick? Has anoyone experienced this or know the answer?

Usually my morning breath is just awful.
However, at the moment i'm batting a very sore throat. Tonsils look infected etc, although my breath seems to smell almost normal.
I've noticed this phenomenon before.

(on another note I asked my Doctor to refer me to an ENT person to discuss taking my tonsils out and he refused :( )

I'm sure my tonsils (tonsil stones) are the best candidate to explain my bad breath
If you have problems with Tonsil Stones, then you might want to check out my Thread:

viewtopic.php?t=5841

I also have problems with Tonsil Stones. However I found a method to get those suckers out:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok guys I finally visited an ENT doctor and he said that my tonsils have holes in them where tonsil stones can develop. However he couldn't see any. He said that I can take my index finger and poke around the tonsils to get them out. However he won't do an tonsillectomy because of this (which I hoped he would).
So going home disappointed I did what he told me. Took my index finger and poked around the tonsils and got some of those suckers out. But there was still something off in taste when I swallowed (although it got better after I did it). I did a little research on what I could do else. I read in a German forum of taking a syringe (of course without the needle) and prepare a salt mixture with water. 250 ml water and a half teaspoon of salt. Then take the syringe and inject the salt-water mixture into the holes of your tonsils (with a decent amount of pressure). And then I got the WOW moment. With that method I could take out about 10 or more of those suckers out (they just come out of the holes). Some of them were really huge and yeah they smelled like shit. After that I had a much cleaner feel after swallowing. So this method definitely works to get tonsil stones out.

So if you guys still have your tonsils, try it out. Even if you can't see any tonsil stones, it doesn't mean they aren't there, hiding in those holes like in my case.
potty_mouth
Junior

Post by potty_mouth »

I totally agree that when sick (with lots of mucus) I don't get reactions. It is almost certainly because my BB is coming from the sinuses, and either the source of smell is blocked off by mucus, or at least the source of bacteria is. Normally, I never get a runny nose (everything empties into my throat - one surgeon said I need to have my Ostia opened to correct this). I also have a deviated septum and some "mucosal thickening" in my para nasal sinuses (on CT scan). However, Two ENTs said this was normal, and one did not. (One was the very rude "stop wasting everyone's time" kind of bitch you are all familiar with).
So my advice is, if you have the same alleviation of symptoms while sick, get a CT scan and keep seeing ENTs until someone agrees to operate. Unfortunately, I moved before I could see the surgeon who was going to operate on me. Now I have to start the search again in another country.
Good luck to all!
halitosiser

Post by halitosiser »

i found that too.when i was sick,like having a cold.my bad breath would decrease.
i guess it was becoz the flu virus killed the microbe in my nose.especially when my nasal drips turned yellow,the odor would decrease alot.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Could it just be that because you tend to lose your sense of smell, and you don't really taste the shit anymore, you feel like your breath isn't bad anymore and the whole stressing over BB drops. A lot of this problem is psychological too. And psychology can affect the body though the placebo effect. It's a really bizarre subject all in itself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic