Your Email Address:

First Name:

Can you smell yourself?

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
FedUp
God

Can you smell yourself?

Post by FedUp »

I've noticed since my second tonsillectomy- which btw there is still white/yellow coating on the area 31 days pre-op which can taste bad after a while still- i can detect thee odor a lot more when i'm around people. it's coming from somewhere on my right side- either throat- mouth or nasal area and it's quite strong.

Can you guys detect your odor?

Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus CT Scan - All Clear - Check
Dentist Examination - "Gums very good" - Check
Endoscopy - Check - H Pylori Negative
Post nasal space cyst removed - Check
Wisdom Teeth Extraction - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
Cres
Junior

Post by Cres »

No, I almost never can. Within the last 12 years I've sensed it myself maybe a few times.
milliek
Total Newbie

Post by milliek »

I can smell myself. I'm not really sure how sure I project though, so it could be worse even than I think it is. I only stink when I open my mouth, no nasal odor that I'm aware of. I believe it is sinus related but I haven't found any real relief yet. I also get tonsil stones and I have can't see where they're at, they are deep, but sometimes one will pop out on it's own. I don't think the tonsil stones are my only issue though.
MyhopeSomeday25

Post by MyhopeSomeday25 »

Nope.. not once... which is why it took me awhile to grasp I had bad breath.. I can't smell a thing... based on how people look when I talk.. i can only imagine it smells like a rotting body I guess.. It's just insane to believe it sometimes cause I can't smell a thing..
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

Yes. I have developed a way to push mouth air up into my nostrils.

It's usually the worst during/after my cleaning regimen. For instance, when I use Therabreath to coat my tongue and let it sit with my mouth open and tongue sticking out, I can do something iwth my mouth that pushes air into my nostrils. I do it the same time I breath in through my nose and can smell the odor.

I'm pretty sure it's because such products refresh the senes of smell for a while.

But within minutes it becomes difficult for ME to smell anything on my breath unless it's really bad.

It's hard for me to explain how to push air up your nostrils, because you don't use your lungs, you use your mouth. You pull your tongue in, push your lower jaw forward and puhs out the air that it's your mouth while inhaling through your nose. You're not blowing out, you're PUSHING OUT.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I wonder how many people in the world have been told a couple of times in their life that they have bad breath, and then discover that when they push air out of their mouth like that and breathe it in and smell "something" that isn't mountain fresh air, that they then think it means they have bad breath? I bet there's quite a few people in this situation!

Being able to detect an odour by this method absolutely does not mean the person has bad breath. Every mouth has a background "normal" VSC level that may be detectable as odour to nostrils 2 cm away, but not to nostrils 20cm away.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

halitosisux wrote:I wonder how many people in the world have been told a couple of times in their life that they have bad breath, and then discover that when they push air out of their mouth like that and breathe it in and smell "something" that isn't mountain fresh air, that they then think it means they have bad breath? I bet there's quite a few people in this situation!

Being able to detect an odour by this method absolutely does not mean the person has bad breath. Every mouth has a background "normal" VSC level that may be detectable as odour to nostrils 2 cm away, but not to nostrils 20cm away.

No one.

This isn't the same as breathing into your hand and sniffing. This isn't the same as breathing out of your mouth and then breathing it in through your nostrils. Those techniques won't work.

Again, it only works if it's really bad or if your sense of smell/taste is refreshed (from cleaning your mouth and specifically your tongue with a halitosis-specific toothpaste.

If you do it correctly at the right time and smell nothing, you may not have breath at all
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I think I understand your main point - that by refreshing and "resetting" your sense of smell through your cleaning regimen, it allows you to actually sense your particular odour for a while. But it may also be for other reasons too. Your cleaning regimen may also be disturbing some place like your tonsils (if you have them) or your throat etc, which then releases some stench for a while before it settles down again.

This is just some speculation though, and just my thoughts. I also believe that there are likely to be plenty of highly sensitive people who WILL have latched onto the idea that their breath is bad, based on having been told even just ONCE in their life that their breath smells bad, and then being able to detect "an odour" in the way you described. I can remember when I was a child and my sister (who made me become obsessed about lots of things and not just bad breath) always used to do your pushing out method and would always obsess about her breath and let everyone know whether her breath was good or bad, and yet it was ALWAYS good, even first thing in the morning!

The human mouth always has some level of VSCs and it's only when it goes beyond a threshold level that odour becomes detectable to other people. But pushing out concentrated bursts of air from the mouth straight into your nostrils just centimetres away, is a completely false way of varifying the state of your breath, in my opinion.

Also, I'm not saying that by detecting odour in this way doesn't mean your breath isn't bad. I'm saying that by detecting odour in this way does not confirm you have bad breath. This is all.

By the way, please don't think I'm insisting on anything I've said, it's just a discussion and I happen to have a different opinion and felt like mentioning it for the sake of discussion and learning and hoping for more opinions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic