Your Email Address:

First Name:

spouse with "musty" (sometimes "poopy") odor

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
Littledoe
Total Newbie

spouse with "musty" (sometimes "poopy") odor

Post by Littledoe »

Hello,

My name is Cathy, and I'm glad to have found this forum today. My husband (age 52) has had a bad breath odor for at least a year (maybe two?) that reminds me, the best I can describe it, of a musty book that has been sitting on the shelf for years. I have smelled this odor before many years ago as a child, I think around elderly people. It brings back "great-grandpa" memories for me.

Sometimes the smell is more like a poop smell, but most of the time it's the musty smell.

His dental hygiene is overall good, though he's had some gum disease in the past. Complicating the issue is that he has headaches (not sure if migraine or what) that sometimes cause a taste in his mouth that can be smelled by others if they are very close to him. These he has had for years though and seem to be a separate issue from the musty/poopy smells which came on more recently.

If he's in a closed room long enough by himself, the entire room can sometimes start smelling.

He is currently between jobs and looking for a new job (his last position was eliminated), and I'm very concerned about not only the interview process but his interacting with customers and/or colleagues at a new position.

Any suggestions on what the cause might be? Any tips for short-term or long-term management of such an odor? In the short term, he needs to get back into the workforce soon. I don't know if breath mints will be able to cover this in public.

MrChips
Advanced

Re: spouse with "musty" (sometimes "poopy") odor

Post by MrChips »

Possibly TMAU2
Lifelongsufferer
Junior

Re: spouse with "musty" (sometimes "poopy") odor

Post by Lifelongsufferer »

Has your husband been to see a GP? He may have a chronic sinus infection. I would also suggest visiting a dentist to rule out any rotten teeth.

H Pylori can be another cause so it would also be wise to visit a gastroenterologist, but beware that if he is prescribed Metronidazole this may only temporarily cure him.

Some exacerbating factors are foods containing dairy, caffeine or sugar (including fruit). Alcohol is another one because it dries the mouth out, does he use an alcohol based mouthwash?

Short term, Hydrogen Peroxide should work but the effects will stop after a couple of weeks as the bacteria become resistant.
22 UK

Tonsils/adenoids removed
FESS surgery
Visited 3+ ENTs & 2 gastros.
Diagnosed w/ SIBO (hydrogen test)
Peroxide, metronidazole and Sodium Hypochlorite all worked for 2 weeks.

FODMAP, vegan and candida diet tried. Slight improvement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic