Your Email Address:

First Name:

My Story - Need help please

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
Sean42
Total Newbie
My Story - Need help please

Post by Sean42 »

Hello everyone,

First off I want to say I am very sorry for all of you that have suffered for years with no resolution. It has been 6 months for me and I am already at the end of my rope. I haven't seen anyone describe their situation exactly like mine, so I would like to post my story and see if anyone has any idea.

I noticed the problem one day when I went into my bedroom and smelled a really foul odor coming from somewhere. I sniffed around and found it was coming from my mouthguard (have had one for around 10 years, and it has never smelled once, not even slightly). It almost made me sick. It smelled like bad dog breath. I thought I was coming down with a cold at the time. Had a bit of a scratchy throat and had to clear it often. The cold symptoms didn't bother me, but the smelly mouthguard did, so I went to the doctor. Doc said sounded like a sinus infection and I did a round of ceftin with no effect on the smell. Back for another round and I was given biaxin, also with no effect. Then I was sent for an xray which showed signs of a sinus infection on my left side. Then I was given avelox. Seemed to help a little but not for long (could be coincidence as some days are better than others). At this point, all three of these antibiotics were for 10 days. After this, I was referred to an ENT who put me on avelox for another 21 days, then booked me for a ct scan, and gave me clavulin for 21 days. When my ct results were in, the ENT says I no longer have any signs of a sinus infection or any problems that he can see. Now he has given me nasonex and said come back in 6 weeks. About 2 weeks into using nasonex, I see no results.

I have always been an allergy sufferer, but never had sinus problems that I was aware of. The only exception was from all the scented cleaners I ran into in Mexico a few years ago. I had an occurance of what the doc said was allergic sinusitis and I had a hell of a plane ride back home. Other than that, no problems that I know of. Even this time, I had no pain whatsoever. The only reason I even went to the doc was a smelly mouthguard.

I have had lots of dental work including crowns, root canals and implants. I have made an appointment to see if my dentist can find anything dental related.

Mouthwash and gum seem to help a bit but not for very long. I have been using a zinc based mouthwash Tom's from Maine.

There is a persistant smell in my nose that kind of reminds me when I used to get athletes foot. Not exactly, but similar. I still have to clear my throat a lot and my saliva usually feels thick and sticky. Outside of the smell, these are the only real symptoms I have had so far. I have never had a problem with sore throats.

Sorry if that was hard to read, but that is most of it so far.

Sean42
Total Newbie
Re: My Story - Need help please

Post by Sean42 »

Does this not sound familiar to anyone? I hear a lot of people talking about fecal smells in the nose, but that is not what I smell at all. Its like something between athletes foot and a musty old attic.
mindspace
Advanced

Post by mindspace »

Musty smell is like toxic mold disease.It is due to gut problems or after taking round of antibiotics.
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

Hi Sean,

Ask your dentist for a PANOREX X-Ray. It is a full mouth/jaw one, whereby he/she will be able to see every single issue you might have.

This is what ultimately helped me. I thought my bad breath was from stomach/intestines/digestive system/nasal cavity/genetic, however after getting a Root Canal, 4 Wisdoms extracted, tonsillectomy & 3 cavities fixed I am 100% bad breath free.

Hope this helps.
Sean42
Total Newbie

Post by Sean42 »

Thanks for the replies.

Mindspace, when this started 6 months ago, I hadn't been on any antibiotics for years. This didn't happen gradually like most problems do. It literally happened overnight. I went from zero smell on my mouthguard to stinking up the entire room. I may be wrong, but I do not believe this comes from any gut issues. It started with a cold/sinus infection and hasn't gone away.

Attraction, congrats on beating it. I have a dental appointment next week to see if my dentist can find anything. I did just have a CT scan and my ENT says nothing is abnormal about it. Is the panorex xray better than the CT somehow? I will certainly ask about it, thank you. I have had extensive dental work, and I certainly hope its the source of my problem.
Attraction
Advanced

Post by Attraction »

Sean42 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Mindspace, when this started 6 months ago, I hadn't been on any antibiotics for years. This didn't happen gradually like most problems do. It literally happened overnight. I went from zero smell on my mouthguard to stinking up the entire room. I may be wrong, but I do not believe this comes from any gut issues. It started with a cold/sinus infection and hasn't gone away.

Attraction, congrats on beating it. I have a dental appointment next week to see if my dentist can find anything. I did just have a CT scan and my ENT says nothing is abnormal about it. Is the panorex xray better than the CT somehow? I will certainly ask about it, thank you. I have had extensive dental work, and I certainly hope its the source of my problem.
I don't know about the CT scan, but what I can assure you is if you have tonsil stones, you NEED a tonsillectomy. There is no product, supplement or treatment on the market that reduces the odor of tonsil stones by 100% except tonsillectomy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic