Your Email Address:

First Name:

Elimination diets. Your experiences.

Do you have any quesions about bad breath?
WhiteCat
Advanced
Elimination diets. Your experiences.

Post by WhiteCat »

I hesitate to make this post because the truth is I have known about elimination diets since high school but never had the will power to ever actually do one properly.

I did once give up dairy and sugar for 6 weeks, it did nothing, but was good for my mental health.

Doing something, anything, towards my bb problem is good for me mentally. It's the extended periods when I give up that are troublesome.

This time I have eliminated Gluten, who knows if I have sensitivities or allergies? Maybe I don't.

But it's something all of us have to eventually try.

I think we owe it to ourselves to give all options our best shot, and so I am doing this.

After a few months of gluten free, getting used to the new restrictions, I will then eliminate dairy, then sugar.

I plan to have a really strict diet within 6 months, paying close attention to my health and symptoms and maintaining the fully restrictive diet for 1 year minimum.

Something else I wanted to add, something I have never done before and that is monitoring my bb *properly.*

Meaning, not just going by how 'clean' my mouth 'feels' like I have always done, but actually taking regular tongue scrapings and letting it dry before smelling so that I can really know what's going on and face up to it.

I want something to work. At this point I have a belief in myself, that's all I need for now.

What diets have you tried? How strict were you? How long did you keep it up? How did you monitor your bb?

StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Re: Elimination diets. Your experiences.

Post by StillHoping »

Diet is definitely the way to go! I have been on this forumn for a while and ppl would post about diet success here and there but I never took it seriously. Even my brother told me he controls his bb with diet but still I ignored it. Probably cuz I loved junk food too much. But this year I finally took it seriously.

You must eliminate: dairy, gluten, onions & garlic, sugar, coffee, minimal tea, minimal alcohol (only drink red wine if necessary), mustard, soy, minimal spicy/tomatoes, anything that has some type of sugar/sucrose or if "spices" is part of the ingredient list (i even avoid ketchup)

Try to stick with unprocessed foods as much as possible. I guarantee you will see a difference within a week!

Keep in mind everyones body is different. Some ppl also cant handle too much protein or carbs. Luckily this is fine with my body but I cant handle too much high fiber foods. Soo you will have to experiment a bit to see what works.

I know my bb is bad cuz I can smell it and usually a very bad taste in my mouth/coated tongue. Ofcourse ppls reaction as well- specifically if they get that sudden shocked look or if they back away. Nose rubs can be unreliable
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
Ricky
Sheriff

Post by Ricky »

Hello whitecat

I typed "poop breath" and " fecal breath" on google. You will find some ideas there. I hav been trying some of there suggestions. Maybe some of them are hoax.

Ive tried goldenseal for ten days, it didnt work.

Now im trying digestive enzymes. I dont know if this will work.
gotshot26
Master

Post by gotshot26 »

I can get my BB close to zero with a vegan diet and a few additions. I was quite strict this week and went days without reactions from anyone. Even talking up close. Was great.

My diet is a plant-based diet, with onions and garlic removed. I also drink a variety of herbal teas each day. I also tongue scrape every time I brush and use mouthwash. This pretty much works great for me. I can drink coffee. I can drink alcohol. Doesn't seem to affect it. I know if I'm at a party and eating and drinking whatever food (yes, meat, dairy) I have no BB - it's only after I stop eating or drinking for an hour or two it comes. Removing soy and gluten is hard for me on a plant-based diet - but I assume my BB will get even better if I did.

Just to add: I feel as if there are two different types of within Type 1 BB. Chlorine bleach does nothing for my bad breath. Yet helps so many people on here. Kissing cures any BB I have, yet doesn't work for others.
For type 1 sufferers, bad breath is mostly caused by overgrowths of sulphur-reducing bacteria within your microbiome. You should spend more time focusing your attention on these overgrowths if you want to find your permanent cure.
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

I’ve ordered an elimination handbook from the Royal Prince Albert allergy unit in Sydney Australia.

I ordered online but they wouldn’t sell it to me without my providing the name and address of a supervising dietitian.

There is one within walking distance of my house so I just put their details in.

I don’t like the idea of telling anyone about my problem, it’s humiliating, but if the hospital contacts the dietitian then I have decided to go ahead with them as my diet supervisor.

We all spend so much money and time trying to fix this issue it makes sense to pay a professional to aid something as difficult and possibly helpful as this...

I don’t know, I think I need counseling, my mental health has taken an absolute f.ucking beating.

Ordinary people including health care professionals just cannot understand.

Sigh.
Tristessa
Total Newbie

Post by Tristessa »

I’m experimenting at the moment but raw foods are usually safe for me. Especially fruits(except bananas). I tried adding kale to a fruit smoothie yesterday and made my breath smell for a couple of days . I have done the anti candida diet in the past and that seemed to help also and it was more affordable than a crap load of fruit.
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

Tristessa wrote:I’m experimenting at the moment but raw foods are usually safe for me. Especially fruits(except bananas). I tried adding kale to a fruit smoothie yesterday and made my breath smell for a couple of days . I have done the anti candida diet in the past and that seemed to help also and it was more affordable than a crap load of fruit.
An exclusive raw food diet only?

Sounds incredibly hard.

I think I am having success with excluding gluten.

Maybe, hopefully. Please God [-o<
Tristessa
Total Newbie

Post by Tristessa »

WhiteCat wrote:
Tristessa wrote:I’m experimenting at the moment but raw foods are usually safe for me. Especially fruits(except bananas). I tried adding kale to a fruit smoothie yesterday and made my breath smell for a couple of days . I have done the anti candida diet in the past and that seemed to help also and it was more affordable than a crap load of fruit.
An exclusive raw food diet only?

Sounds incredibly hard.

I think I am having success with excluding gluten.

Maybe, hopefully. Please God [-o<

It is! I am rethinking my decision because not only is it hard its a bit expensive. I might try to add in some foods just to see what works. I don't do well with gluten either but thats only because of my candida issues. Good luck hope this is the solution for you.
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Huh? Thats weird, I was under the impression green leafs (kale) were suppose to be the best food to reduce BB.
Tristessa
Total Newbie

Post by Tristessa »

fog wrote:
Huh? Thats weird, I was under the impression green leafs (kale) were suppose to be the best food to reduce BB.
I only say it was the kale because of the weird kale after taste I had in my mouth. But now that I think about it, it probably was the banana or the combo of the kale and the banana.
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

gotshot26 wrote:I can get my BB close to zero with a vegan diet and a few additions. I was quite strict this week and went days without reactions from anyone. Even talking up close. Was great.

My diet is a plant-based diet, with onions and garlic removed. I also drink a variety of herbal teas each day. I also tongue scrape every time I brush and use mouthwash. This pretty much works great for me. I can drink coffee. I can drink alcohol. Doesn't seem to affect it. I know if I'm at a party and eating and drinking whatever food (yes, meat, dairy) I have no BB - it's only after I stop eating or drinking for an hour or two it comes. Removing soy and gluten is hard for me on a plant-based diet - but I assume my BB will get even better if I did.

Just to add: I feel as if there are two different types of within Type 1 BB. Chlorine bleach does nothing for my bad breath. Yet helps so many people on here. Kissing cures any BB I have, yet doesn't work for others.
Do you have the white coating on your tongue? and does it go away with the strict diet?

Can you eat fruit?

And how do you test your BB?
gotshot26
Master

Post by gotshot26 »

fog wrote:
gotshot26 wrote:I can get my BB close to zero with a vegan diet and a few additions. I was quite strict this week and went days without reactions from anyone. Even talking up close. Was great.

Do you have the white coating on your tongue? and does it go away with the strict diet?

Can you eat fruit?

yes, I can eat fruit. I test by sticking my fingers on the back of my tongue then smelling said fingers after drying.
For type 1 sufferers, bad breath is mostly caused by overgrowths of sulphur-reducing bacteria within your microbiome. You should spend more time focusing your attention on these overgrowths if you want to find your permanent cure.
gotshot26
Master

Post by gotshot26 »

fog wrote:

Can you eat fruit?

the white coating thins out greatly on this diet too. Especially when I tongue scrap twice a day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic