Your Email Address:

First Name:

Supervised Elimination Diet... list of allowed foods

Talks about bad breath products, if they work, if they are useless.....etc.
winter
Sheriff

Re: Supervised Elimination Diet... list of allowed foods

Post by winter »

WhiteCat wrote:
winter wrote:How long does it take to "starve off" the bacteria? Didn't a few people said water detox doesn't work for them?
I wouldn’t use the term ‘starve off bacteria’

The term is more like ‘see improvement in symptoms’

I can’t speak for the water detox people, I’ve read those posts too but I don’t know how they were testing their breath or if they were truly having only water.

I know my dietitian said my symptoms would WORSEN, before they cleared up.

The standard timeframe for an elimination diet is 6 weeks.

Did the water people really only have water and nothing else for 6 weeks?

Seems highly unlikely.
By the 6th week, would it still be in the "worsen" stage? Or can I conclude if the diet works?

I think water diet is usually 1-2 weeks.

WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

By 6 weeks I should no longer have bad breath.

I have already had a few really bad spells of room filling B.B. since starting this diet.

My B.B. is not usually room filling, usually no one knows unless I open my mouth and I’m also near them.

But as I mentioned, I had a setback with the vinegar, it’s a shame I reacted so badly. I’m actually still not over it.

I’ll never have vinegar again. That sucks because I love sushi.

Oh well.
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

Update: I fell off the wagon a few days back, I didn’t make it to 3 weeks.
I’m seeing my dietitian tomorrow, I’m going to tell her I need more support, I can’t do this alone.

I’ve also updated my list of allowed foods which is now a mix of strict allergy elimination and FODMAP.

Basically, anything NOT allowed also in FODMAP has been removed from the first list.

A nightmare, I can’t wait for this to be over with.

I just want to get well.
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Weird about the vinegar and room filling BB.

It sounds like starvation symptoms, did you starve yourself?

I also fell off the wagon on my diet, got the flu and just stopped caring. Didnt think it was strict enough anyways.
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

fog wrote:Weird about the vinegar and room filling BB.

It sounds like starvation symptoms, did you starve yourself?

I also fell off the wagon on my diet, got the flu and just stopped caring. Didnt think it was strict enough anyways.
No I ate quite a lot of food, especially high fat/ calorie food like potato chips and beef with fat on.
Also tons of rice and about a million pears.

I lost heart quite a bit after I had the vinegar, it really sucked going back to really bad breath after all that work.
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

I'm back on my diet now, I saw my dietitian this afternoon, it's 6pm now.

I am going to see her every Monday - it's Monday here btw.

That way I am more accountable.

I'm not quitting sugar entirely, she said because I am struggling it's something that can be saved to try if this doesn't work.

In the meantime she wants me to make homemade toffee because it will slow down my sugar consumption, toffee can take over an hour to eat and will satisfy my cravings without doing too much damage.

She also warned me against losing too much weight - skinny/ starving people are notorious for having bad breath and I need to make sure of what my actual cause is - I am already thin - 46kgs/ 101lbs.

I am also taking supplements which she checked for me Iron, Magnesium and Zinc - 3 different tablets. This is not for BB but just for overall health benefits.

Oh, and I also have tinnitus, I am hoping this diet will also help with that.

I'll keep updating as I progress. Fingers crossed for round 2. O:)
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

WhiteCat wrote:I'm back on my diet now, I saw my dietitian this afternoon, it's 6pm now.

I am going to see her every Monday - it's Monday here btw.

That way I am more accountable.

I'm not quitting sugar entirely, she said because I am struggling it's something that can be saved to try if this doesn't work.

In the meantime she wants me to make homemade toffee because it will slow down my sugar consumption, toffee can take over an hour to eat and will satisfy my cravings without doing too much damage.

She also warned me against losing too much weight - skinny/ starving people are notorious for having bad breath and I need to make sure of what my actual cause is - I am already thin - 46kgs/ 101lbs.

I am also taking supplements which she checked for me Iron, Magnesium and Zinc - 3 different tablets. This is not for BB but just for overall health benefits.

Oh, and I also have tinnitus, I am hoping this diet will also help with that.

I'll keep updating as I progress. Fingers crossed for round 2. O:)

Why is being skinny correlated with having bad breath?
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

Why is being skinny correlated with having bad breath?
I don't know and I don't care.
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

I just wanted to update in case anyone is interested...

I cannot stick to the diet, it is too hard.

But I have learned that I am definitely allergic to caffine, it makes me nauseated within 30 minutes and then incredibly fatiged within 6 hours. To the point that I can barely function.

I also ate a big McDonalds meal the other night - Australian menu - crispy chicken ceasar wrap, chocolate shake (small) and shaker fries and was in bed for nearly 2 days afterwards with deep fatigue.

I've always been an exhausted/ low energy kind of person and now I am understanding that it is the food I've been eating.

I am going to try and find a detox retreat that I can go to to be put on a really strict, no cheating elimination diet so that I can actually stick to it and maybe cure my horrible bad breath finally.

It will be expensive but worth it. I need to be isolated and have my food provided to me by someone who knows what they are doing.

There are plenty of these types of places around, so I'm going to see if one will help me.

Wish me luck xx
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

I Will do something simmilar, IM gonna try a fruit only detox.
And see what happens.

Good luck
WhiteCat
Advanced

Post by WhiteCat »

fog wrote:I Will do something simmilar, IM gonna try a fruit only detox.
And see what happens.

Good luck
I've read that FODMAP has helped people with bad breath.

In order for the fruit detox to work, your problem can't be fructose or the natural chemicals in the fruit itself.
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

WhiteCat wrote:
fog wrote:I Will do something simmilar, IM gonna try a fruit only detox.
And see what happens.

Good luck
I've read that FODMAP has helped people with bad breath.

In order for the fruit detox to work, your problem can't be fructose or the natural chemicals in the fruit itself.
low FODMAP diet looks like it can work for BB caused by lack of digestive enzymes/digestive issues. Which might be the cause for some of us.

I guess fruit only is a more hardcore vertion of this diet, and even more strict would be a water fast. which im most likely not ready for.
But the fruit only seems doable, too bad its winter season over here, so bad time for fruit. maybe I will try supplements for a while, I have a bunch to try.
I am also a low energy kind of person, still get acne as well.
worriedmom
Total Newbie

Post by worriedmom »

I am assuming this diet is probably helpful only for folks who developed bb later on in life. Those who have suffered since childhood probably would not benefit at all from this diet. I say that because my 2 kids developed bb during infancy when they consumed milk only. I have had bb since as early as I can remember so I too probably had it since infancy just like my children.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic