Your Email Address:

First Name:

Wisdom Teeth Extraction Cured My Nasal Bad Breath

Tell us your story with bad breath
tdonline

Post by tdonline »

Since my wisdom teeth are straight and I think not impacted, (what does impacted mean anyway? ), I would have a hard time trying to convince my dentist to look into extraction. My wisdom teeth are straight and look to be normally positioned, they are not crooked or deeply embedded. Would X-rays of them be able to show probelms that can't be seen during a regular check up?

Btw, I had a 2nd endoscopy recently and was finally diagnosed with acid reflux after 3 years of this issue. So I think the really rotten egg smell that comes up occassionally has to do with my digestive system. But I do wonder if I also have other facets of BB that have to do with my mouth. Occassionally I can smell the rotten egg smell, but on many occasssions I have had the typical BB reaction from people and I can't smell anything at all. At these times, I wonder if the BB is from the mouth.

Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

tdonline wrote:(what does impacted mean anyway? )
"Impacted" means the teeth are either fully unerupted or only partially erupted through the gumline and so are mostly to wholly sunk into the gum.
Would X-rays of them be able to show probelms that can't be seen during a regular check up?
Absolutely they would, since x-rays can show problems below the gumline invisible to the naked eye.

I'd like to emphasize once again in this thread that I'm not advocating anyone else pull their teeth if they don't feel it necessary. We're all adults (hopefully) and can each make our own sound judgement.

If, however, you suspect the gum area surrounding those wisdom teeth to play a role in your chronic bad breath I would inquire about extracting them with your dentist, even if they appear healthy to you (let's also keep in mind the source of the odor, the surrounding gum area, not the teeth themselves). If pressed on why I would just say I struggle with chronic bad breath inspite of my best efforts at oral/nasal hygiene and am concerned it could be from my gums, and especially that rearmost gum area surrounding those teeth, which is especially susceptible to trapping unreachable debris and odor-causing bacteria. Based on his/her experience, you might get laughed out of the office or be taken very seriously or anywhere in between.

In the U.S. dentists don't typically extract these teeth themselves: they leave that to oral surgeons. Inspite of what your dentist thinks, I would have him refer you to the oral surgeon he uses (if you're in the U.S.). It is he/she and not your dentist that you'll ultimately have to convince. Your first visit with the oral surgeon is just a consult. You present your case to him/her and they take a panoramic dental x-ray at which point they can truly determine how much or little a problem these teeth really are. In any case, he/she shouldn't mind extracting them since it is common for these teeth to be extracted anyway. It's not as if you're asking to extract an incisor.

It seems to me the thinking in the dental industry that wisdom teeth must absolutely come out has become sort of old school and the modern trend is becoming more and more to leave them in unless they're causing problems. But in general people still often have them out just because, so your oral surgeon will be used to a "just because"-type request for extraction and should happily oblige.
So I think the really rotten egg smell that comes up occassionally has to do with my digestive system...
From my experience it's almost impossible that a rotten egg smell comes from anywhere else in your digestive tract than the mouth. That smell is hydrogen sulfide gas being released by bacteria breaking down food particles. Most bacteria cannot survive the very harsh, acidic environment of the stomach. If you have GERD I'd believe that to be coincidental with your bad breath and not its cause. If it was the cause, at the very least as you experience bad breath you should also be experiencing massive heartburn. If you still suffer bad breath even without having recently had a meal and without any accompanying heartburn, it is highly--and I do emphasize that--unlikely that the problem comes from your stomach or further down the digestive tract.

Digestive tract problems serious enough to affect oral breath should exhibit other serious symptoms than just the breath itself.

People who have GERD-related breath symptoms say it makes their breath smell like smoking/burning/vomit. But the rotten egg smell is one of, if not the classic bad breath odor originating in the mouth. If you can't smell it most of the time the problem may just be a dry rear tongue.
tdonline

Post by tdonline »

Perhaps my bb comes from multiple sources...teeth, nasal area, GERD...I've been on Aciphex for almost two weeks and I do notice that the heartburn has subsided pretty well. Though I do notice a couple of twinges the last couple of days.

I notice three types of BB:

1) random puff of rotten egg (and sometimes it does smell like burnt eggs) that emanates from my mouth w/o talking. This is truly hideously smelly. The first week on Aciphex this BB didn't happen, but the last fews days, unfortunately, I have had some break through.

2) BB that I can catch a whiff of when I'm talking. Either smells like the above OR stale bacteria-like odor.

3) BB that offends people when I talk but I can't smell it at all.

Frustrating to be able to figure out the source(s)...I believe (hope) that if we can figure the sources, then we can fix the BB.

According to my new dentist, I'm grind my teeth and will be getting a custom made mouthguard...I wonder how that will mix in with the current BB picture.
tdonline

Post by tdonline »

Oh I forgot to address this, my ENT believes the odor does come from my stomach. The odor isn't the bacteria escaping from my stomach but the actual acid itself. I guess acid isn't quite aromatic...
iva
Master

Post by iva »

[/quote]Btw, I had a 2nd endoscopy recently and was finally diagnosed with acid reflux after 3 years of this issue. So I think the really rotten egg smell that comes up occassionally has to do with my digestive system. But I do wonder if I also have other facets of BB that have to do with my mouth. Occassionally I can smell the rotten egg smell, but on many occasssions I have had the typical BB reaction from people and I can't smell anything at all. At these times, I wonder if the BB is from the mouth.[/quote]

I`ve had 3 endoscopies for the last 3 years and 2 of the doctors think that bb has nothing to do with the problems of my digestive system, while one of them is pretty sure bb is due to my GERD. I do not know what to do... I am on NEXIUM now, but it hasn`t changed bb. Doc says I have to take it for at least 8 weeks to make the whole system functioning differently.
tdonline how can you tell your bb smells like rotten eggs? I thin k mine is like vomit...
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Cured,

Your post is very interesting.

Can you tell if when you brushed your wisdom teeth if they bled in anyway.

Did you get a rotten smell when you washed out the blood from your wisdom teeth.

Sorry for being so graphic. But I thought that my bad breath was because of my tonsil stones. I used the oral irrigator and got rid of most stones. Some improvement but my bad breath remained the same.

I recently used my electric toothbrush to clean my wisdom teeth which were stained with plague. I never knew that my wisdom teeth would bleed. I do not have gum disease or fillings or any pockets. Dentist all say I have excellent oral hygiene. But when I brushed my wisdom teeth they bled and bled. I then used water to wash out my mouth and noticed a type of rotten smell through my nose. I know what blood smells like but it wasnt the smell of blood. It was more rotten type smell.

My wisdom teeth are firm not rotten just stained.

Cured. Sorry for being graphic but can you tell me if you ever had the same smell when you brushed your wisdom teeth.

D
Cured
Junior

Post by Cured »

DRASTIC wrote:Can you tell if when you brushed your wisdom teeth if they bled in anyway.
My teeth haven't ever bled, I'm pretty sure, but my gums always do bleed a little bit when I brush (and I tend to be a rough scrubber), so I never took care to notice where the bleeding came from.
I used the oral irrigator and got rid of most stones. Some improvement but my bad breath remained the same.
If you're getting tonsil stones you will continue to get them as long as you have your tonsils in. You won't get rid of any bad breath coming from your tonsils just by removing the stones. You'd need a tonsillectomy.
tdonline

Post by tdonline »

iva wrote:
tdonline how can you tell your bb smells like rotten eggs? I thin k mine is like vomit...[/quote]

I believe and my friends keep telling me this...that I do not have ongoing bad breath. What I do have is similar to farts, sadly. So I will have puffs of rotten egg/burnt/shitty odor emitting from my mouth. The first dozen times that this happened, I honestly thought that someone had passed gas and thought how rude of them! Then I noticed that it happend when NO ONE was near me...It's been three years and I now know that it's coming from me. Sometimes it's just a puff. Sometimes it can happen over and over and over again for 15-30 minutes. Just like if you had a can of beans and you were gassy.

This Saturday, I had such an episode. I was watching a performance with my friends. Maybe it was a reaction to my waffles/sausage breakfast. The smell was similar to a soiled diaper and it went on for about 10 minutes. I looked around to see if there were any babies around me. None. I kept my mouth tightly clenched. I asked my friend later if she noticed anything and she hadn't. I talk freely with this friend about my BB problem and she is pretty honest, sometimes brutally so. So maybe if I can keep in the odor if I close my mouth. Unfortunately, this problem can be pretty random and it does happen when I talk and I have definitely had times (painful) when people recoil in horror.

Frustratingly, the Aciphex I was given didn't work. I ran out of the samples and have been using rantidine as an alternative. This hasn't worked either. This acid reflux will drive me nuts...
m_s
Total Newbie

Post by m_s »

tdonline wrote:I believe and my friends keep telling me this...that I do not have ongoing bad breath. What I do have is similar to farts, sadly. So I will have puffs of rotten egg/burnt/shitty odor emitting from my mouth.
Hey tdonline,

Have you tried devrom
http://www.devrom.com

It may work for you,since your problem sounds like it's internal gas escaping more often because of your weak les. Devrom is for people that have really foul smelling intestinal gas due to a number of causes...I have tried it and it works for my smelly gas and poop. I like the chewables because they taste like bananas. Some people say that the main ingredient in pepto bismol chewables does the same thing, but I think you would have to take higher doses and since I'm not a doctor, I can't say for sure.

I would try it for a couple of weeks and see if you friend ( that is honest with, which is great) notices a difference. Keep me updated if you decide to try it.
iva
Master

Post by iva »

tdonline wrote:
iva wrote:
This acid reflux will drive me nuts...
Me too, if I were sure bb came from my GERD, I would be checking other options - operation maybe..
tdonline

Post by tdonline »

MS, thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if I'm going to try it just yet. First, I tried chlorophyll which is also an "internal deodorizer" and good god, I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but my reflux and BB doubled in horrificness. I never finished the bottle.

Second, I think my BB is from the acid itself and/or damage in my esophagus and throat from the acid so internal deodorizing isn't really going to help those causes.

Yes, I'm very grateful to my friend. The only bummer is that she lives in NYC and I live in DC so we only see each other 2 or 3 times a year. My mom is also a good guide but she lives in CA. So sometimes I wish there was someone local who I could talk to and ask for feedback. I do have a friend in DC that will give me an assessment when I ask her very specifically. But otherwise she won't really say anything even if she smelled something. I've seen her react my BB. When I do ask her, she will only say that she never really notices anything. I think she means that I do not have everyday BB. Once she did say that she noticed a whiff but otherwise my breath was fine for the entire evening we were together.
rey

Post by rey »

im a bad breath sufferer for almost twenty years i dont know what to do i tried anything from surgery of tonsil, cosmetics such as therabreath, oxyfresh. but it doesnt work
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

TO TDONLINE:

Have you heard of TMAU? My symptoms and smells are a lot like yours and I have GERD and a hiatal hernia. Not everyone with GERD has bad breath, so hear is my theory... I not only have a hiatal hernia,but I have trouble digesting foods with choline (TMAU) and a sulferic smell develops in my digestive track. Since my esophagus never closes it releases the smelly gases out of my mouth. I've read that not all TMAU smells are fishy. Some people experience garbage like smells, fecal, or rotten egg smells. Mine vary from one to the other. Try giving up the main foods with lots of choline and see if it helps. Try giving up eggs, liver, nuts, peanut butter, soy, fish, broccoli and beans. Eggs are the worst! The yolk is what has a lot of choline. I also take fennel seed before an important meeting. I think it is working for me, but really I do not know because I do not work and I don't have very many people to test it out on. Can anyone try this and let me know how it goes???

I don't think the problem is my wisdom teeth. Everything feels smooth to me back there and when I rub it my fingers do not smell. I have never smelled a cheese-like smell either. Also, I don't think I have smelly nose breath. It seems to be worse when I laugh of when I talk for a long time. I try to keep my conversation short now.
TIRED
Advanced

Post by TIRED »

To todonline again...about the dirty diaper thing...

I used to belong to a mommies' group and when we got together you don't know how many times I would be talking and someone would say, "Okay someone poopied." All the mom's would check their child's diaper and no one had pooped. I would be so devastated I would just pack up and leave half the time. After a while I felt like such a outcast - I'm sure I was known as Ms. Poopy Breath. Now, we moved recently and normally I would join another group. There's no way in hell I would subject myself to that torture again. It sucks that we can't live our lives the way we normally would. It sucks that we have to hold back. I know I am lucky to have a husband and have children and that for some of you this seems hopeless. But, for me, my life is still hopeless because I feel confined to my home and that is just not like me - I'm not a hermit dammit! My next step is to go see this really good psychic I know of. Her name is Michelle Renee. She has a webpage. Anyway I spoke with her breifly before I had my tonsils out and aksed her that if the surgery didn't work if she could help me. She said she may be able to help. Now I live near her (orange, CA) so I want to go see her soon. I may need so save some money first - it's a bit expensive, but if I tell her that all I need is 15 minute she might let me pay a fraction of the cost. Anyone else know of any true psychics that are really good and that may help us??????????
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi Cured,

It would be good if you could give us some updates. How has it been since you were cured? Any reactions when speaking to people.

I think some of us might have nultiple causes of Bad Breath.

For some it might be wisdom teeth combined with tonsils or stomach or tongue.

I say this because some dentist dont check us thoroughly yet they yell us allis well. I checked my wisdom teeth and have to say that I have deep gum pockets along my lower wisdom teeth. I couldnt believe it. Especially after 2 dentist told me that I had good teeth.Guess they did not check gums. My lower wisdom teeth are not properly erupt and I can see a flap over the edge of one and loose gum along them. The gum back there feels soft and spongy as well. I also notice that every week I have a red spot next to the lower wisdom teeth or on my inner cheek the spot is very close to the lower wisdom teeth. As one spot goes awy then another red spot comes up next to the other wisdom teeth/gum.Nothing big to be alarmed about. But still suspicious.

People I think we need to check out this gum area along the wisdom teeth carefully. I cant believe the dentist missed this area.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic