Your Email Address:

First Name:

I dont have BB *Must Read*

Tell us your story with bad breath
Ahmet 2k
Total Newbie

I dont have BB *Must Read*

Post by Ahmet 2k »

I dont have bad breath. I am a normal guy. I have a good job, finishing up my school. I am early 20s. Good looking.

I am a "normal guy".

I dont have any breath problems, I stumbled onto this site out of curiosity.

I read this site, and I read that people are contemplating s*****e over bad breath. Thats ridiculous.

Honestly, I barely even notice if other people have bad breath.

And even if I met someone with bad breath, I would still be friendly and polite to them. It wouldnt change the way I think or feel about them.

I really dont mind if someone has bad breath. If it was very bad, I might pull my head back a bit. But I would still be friendly, polite, and respectful.

Bad breath really is not such a bad thing. Being ugly, or not having a job, being overweight is worse in my opinion.

mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Okay, now put yourself in the shoes of someone who has really bad breath. For you, when you encounter someone with BB, it's unpleasant for a little bit, then you go on with your own business and your life.

For us, it changes everything. We can't have conversations without people becoming offended. Hell, I can't say more than a few words before the only thing on that other person's mind is 'geez this guy's breath stinks'. How can I have an honest and full discussion with another human being face to face?

Being ugly or being overweight is not worse, Ahmet. When you smell something bad, like shit for example, you are disgusted. It's offensive. We are biologically programmed to avoid things that smell bad. 3/4 of America is overweight. At least if you're overweight, you're probably the majority. And no one is really that ugly. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I would also be polite, but being frank, I don't want to smell BB as much as the next guy. If someone has BB and it's reaally bad, I might not think any less of the person, but hell man, it's not very pleasant, and at that moment, I would rather not be near them. You know what I'm saying.

I met someone with really .. really bad breath on the train. An old lady sitting next to me. She didn't even say a word, but when she coughed, it was horrible. Can you blame me if I said I don't want to ever sit next to someone like that ever again?? Now I don't think my BB is as bad as that.. But when I talk to people, it smells like farts. People cover their nose, some people even comment. It's not like the smell of normal BB that people might have. It's kind of a poopy fart smell. During classes, I'll often catch a whiff of it when having to speak close to someone... and seriously, the first thing I think it 'who farted'. No one's farting, it smells th esame every time.. It's me!

You know would be great? If the respiratory and digestive systems were completely separate from each other.

I see what you're doing here, and I like your post. It's kind of you to say that.. But you really don't know what it's like until it's your problem.
I have an idea. Why don't you chew on a shit sandwich then try to have a conversation with someone. Let's see what happens.
:?
OneDay111
Sheriff

Post by OneDay111 »

I agree to the point were we do over exaggerate our problem. However it isnt as easy as you lay it out to be.
One Day One Day....
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I read Ahmet's post this morning and in my mind I said exactly the same thing about eating a shit sandwich and see where your confidence ends up.

Its ok to say the things you said Ahmet, we all feel the same way towards other BB sufferers. But actually having BB feels like one gigantic grotesque abnormality. Imagine trying to live amongst people who dont smell while you feel like like a pile of shit on legs. Imagine trying to live and work normally like that. Its not just a smell, its about confidence and how this problem absolutely destroys it and you have no idea what it is unless you experience it. Confidence is everything in life.

It would be nice if everyone in the world had your understanding and empathy though.
hopelessone
God
United States of America

Post by hopelessone »

i'll take being overweight and/or ugly anyday over THIS problem.
Ahmet 2k
Total Newbie

Post by Ahmet 2k »

Listen, I am a normal guy. I have no breath problem. Pls listen

1) As a normal guy, I barely even notice if other people have bad breath. In the unlikely event that someone has bad breath, it doesnt change the way I feel about them. At worst I might re-position my head, but thats it.

2) I would never avoid a conversation with someone because they have bad breath. Even if someone smelled really bad, I would still be polite, friendly. I would never avoid interaction with them because of their breath.

3) Everyone has bad breath to a degree.

4) When a male is looking for a female, we dont care if a girl has bad breath. We care more about things like, your looks, your personality, sex etc. We dont care if you have bad breath, trust me on that.

5) When a female is looking for a male, they also will care a lot about looks, personality, income level. If you're making a lot of money, you will get girls, whether you stink or not makes no difference.

6) No offense at all, but I really feel that you people are taking your "problem" way too seriously. Bad breath is not a bad problem at all. I would suggest for you to relax, and understand that even if you smell bad, that doesnt have to change anything in your life. People will still talk to you, be polite etc. You can still get a job.

7) No offense, but I think many of you have a psychological problem more so than a bad breath problem. I think you overexaggerate your problem, and the problem may not even exist in the first place.

8) Many people are unable to smell. Just as you have people who require glasses for vision. There exist many people who have an impaired sense of smell.
arawrebirth20
Total Newbie

Post by arawrebirth20 »

Ahmet,
I can definitely appreciate that you are respectful to people with bad breath.I hope more people we come in contact with think the same way.But honestly man,suggesting that we have psych problems is a little offensive.True,some of us might which may cause its own set of problems, but many of us have developed anxiety,depression,and anti social tendencies as a RESULT of being treated badly for having BB.When people offer you gum or mints all the time or cover their nose while you are talking,its difficult to not notice or let it affect you.I have to deal with people at work rubbing their noses ALL THE TIME then offering me gum.
I come in contact with many different healthcare workers,doctors,patients and their families.I have caught a few gesturing to each other that my breath is bad.Those experiences stick with you and make it hard to go to work or meet new people.Hell,my family even reacts to my breath.My fiance is wonderful about it and she is probably the only reason I am not one of those BB sufferers that are suicidal.I can understand where they are coming from.The desire for face to face human connection is normal for most and when it is compromised by something we can't seem to get rid of it can be devastating.
Phantasist
Sheriff

Post by Phantasist »

Ahmet 2k,

It is actually quite nice to read your post, and I'm sure you mean well, and I don't want to jump on your head with both feet. But you don't have the slightest idea of what the hell you're talking about.
Let me just tell you a little snippet of my life. I have been going to this coffee shop for three years to eat breakfast. I'm a regular. The waitress who is young and pretty approaches me with the menu in front of her nose. And I don't even breathe in her direction! Some old codger with no hair on his head and a big potbelly can talk to her and I can't. How do you think that makes me feel? I try not to sit at her table any more if possible. My admiration has turned to boiling resentment. You don't understand that this problem is a killer of human interaction at the most basic level. It is a personality destroyer. It is a life destroyer!
It's nice that you try to make us feel better and give us encouragement to gather some self esteem, and we appreciate that. But what we really need is a way the get rid of this miserable curse that is ruining our lives.

PS: Halitosisux, back me up on this. Otherwise I'm going to lose it!
The hand we are dealt is fate. How we play the cards is free will.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I agree totally. Its about confidence and how we perceive ourselves. Of course its only an odour, and many parts of the human body give off odours - but its knowing what having bad breath implies to most people, which is what kills our confidence. When you've got bad breath its not like you can wear odour-eaters when your feet stink and deal with the situation and just get on with your life - this is the ultimate spanner in the works for intimacy, for friendships, for just about every single enjoyable aspect of human interaction.

Its one thing to look at it from the perspective of someone who's never had BB, but its something else entirely when its something you have to live with every single moment of every single day.

We all understand what you are trying to say ahmet, but you need to understand this problem from the perspective of the sufferer to know what we mean. Its what the physical aspects do to the psychological aspects that make it impossible for you to understand this from your perspective.
Susie
Sheriff

Post by Susie »

ewwwwwwwww a shit sandwich???
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Again, Ahmet, if you really want to sympathize with us, chew on a shit sandwich. Seriously, I'm really curious if you think you could live with that 24/7.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic