Your Email Address:

First Name:

Tonsillectomy/Adenoidectomy and Septoplasty Cure August 2012

Tell us your story with bad breath
heregoesnothing

Tonsillectomy/Adenoidectomy and Septoplasty Cure August 2012

Post by heregoesnothing »

ended up getting a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy along with sinus surgery to fix my deviated septum and reduce turbinates. I had it all done at once, and I must say even though I can't taste or smell a thing, I am breathing way better than I have in a while! It's day 2 post-surgery and my throat is still raw/sore and it feels weird to swallow. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say the pain is like a 6... I am 20 years old so I'm hoping that recovery will be very speedy for me so I'm just sticking to drinking lots of ice cold water and mashed up popsicles. Like I said, I can't smell or taste anything so I don't know what my breath is like right now but I will keep you guys updated.... feel free to ask any questions ! :D
Last edited by heregoesnothing on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

jess
Sheriff

Post by jess »

I hope the surgeries help you. Be prepared that it usually takes about two weeks before you'll be able to eat/ drink normally without pain. Have a good recovery and as you say keep us posted!
clara0
Master

Post by clara0 »

Hi, I hope you get well pretty soon. I have also a severe case of deviated septum and I am wondering if I do the surgery or not. My doctor told me that it probably wont work for my allergies but I should cure my breathing and sinusitis problem.
But I am very much afraid of taking antibiotics after the surgery because I took them a few weeks ago for the sinus infection and I ended up getting sick like hell afterwards and my bb also got worse...no need to say it did not work for the sinus infection I had either.
So I am very curious to know if it works for your bb Please keep us updated, thank you so much.
heregoesnothing

Thanks for the well wishes Jess! Clara.... I think you should try it! The nasal surgery was not painful at all for me. If the antibiotics are too much for you they may be able to prescribe you a different type of antibiotic and/or some anti-nausea medication to go along with it. I will say this, directly after surgery I was able to breathe through my nose with no problem at all! I'm now about 3 days post-op and my nose has clogged up again but I was told this is normal and it can take a few weeks up to a few months for it to finally "settle" and become normal.

As for my tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy, I think it has already had an effect on my breath because being so clogged up has had me breathing through my mouth constantly and I haven't gotten any reactions from my family. Especially my nephew, who is definitely not shy about reacting to my funky breath! lol Also, I woke up this morning and my tongue is super pink!! This alone makes me feel as though the pain was worth it.
heregoesnothing

Post-op day 6 - I had the stints taken out and I can FINALLY breathe! \:D/
I still haven't eaten much because of the pain and it felt like food was getting trapped behind my nose. Pain is about a 5 at most a 7 due to earache caused from the scabs. I will try eating again now that the stints are out so I can actually breathe while I chew...

As for my breath, I still can't taste or really "smell" much so I don't know how bad my breath is at the moment but when I talk to people, I generally am getting no reaction. I have talked to my ENT, the nurses, my parents, the pharmacist, pharm tech, and random strangers who just strike up general small talk with me. Before, I couldn't even look them in the eye without turning their smiles into frowns or them backing off and wiping their nose but now I can finally talk close range. Im sure my breath still has a bad odor due to the scabs in the back of my throat, but it's not nearly as bad as pre-op. Also, the line at the pharmacy was pretty long so I had no choice but to breathe through my nose and no one backed away from me or created a long distance between us.

I can't wait until the scabs finally come off and I can smell and taste again to give you a proper update. I think this may finally be my cure....
heregoesnothing

Changed the topic so this will get more views. I'm sure this can and will help alot of people!
compor
Advanced
Post by compor »

hey heregoesnothing,

I am glad you are feeling better. Hope this is the cure for you. Are you using any antibiotic right now?
time4change
Junior

Post by time4change »

Hey, good that you haven't been in much pain and are getting better hopefully you are rid of bb for good :)

I just have a couple of questions, do you live in the UK? Also, did your doctor agree to remove everything without question or did you have to tell him about bb? And one more thing did your insurance cover it?

Sorry I'm just trying to get tonsils out and would love to sort out my deviated septum but having trouble with how to approach the issue as well as how to financially deal with it.

Thanks
StinkBomb

Post by StinkBomb »

Hey heregoesnothing,

I see you suddenly stopped posting. Do you still have bad breath? Please provide an update. I am thinking of getting an adenoidectomy myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic