Your Email Address:

First Name:

Food intolerance/food allergies was my bad breath problem

Tell us your story with bad breath
goodwill
Total Newbie

Post by goodwill »

Hi ma51fyfy,

There is much I don't know because I am assuming that the reason or reasons for each person's BB is different. So I highly recommend that you keep a daily journal of all your symptoms in all areas of your body. Also, try to avoid all diary food for a few weeks, including eating out as that is an environment for contamination. I think it is reasonable to avoid these foods if you have a 4 point on a 4 point scale. Try that and see if your breath clears up. If not, you'd have to see it is something else that is causing your bb such as good dental condition. I ruled everything else out before I got to this food thing. Things such as dental, good tongue cleaning, cleaning out my sinuses with NeilMed, etc...I dealt with these too.

There are a few things I'd like to bring out in this post:

1) I'd like to highlight that the scale on the igg test I did was "non-reactive 0-65", "slightly reactive 66-90", and "reactive foods +greater than 90." Gluten, kidney bean, soybean, and whole wheat on the were all above 90. The wheat was at 181, the gluten at 128, the kidney bean at 136, and the soy at 82. Soy is lower than the other foods but I still reacted if I consumed it. If I consumed soy my pain was in my stomach. If I consumed wheat or gluten my pain was in my lower abdominal. In addition, when I consumed diary products, I still got pain, but the thing is all diary products were in the non-reactive group on my test. Nevertheless, I avoided all diary products too.

2) If I ate something that was contaminated with the foods I was reactive to then my breath smelled. Even if I ate non-reactive foods that had traces of the contaminated foods I would start to have bad breath.

3) There are plenty of foods and drinks that are also made with milk and/or milk ingredients such as chocolate, cheese, etc. If you're tested with a 4 for diary I highly suggest you start reading the labels on the foods and drinks you'd like to have to avoid the diary.

4) The stomach pain and/or the pain in my lower abdominal or the acid in my stomach, etc ranges in different degrees. Sometimes it was just a little pain and sometimes it was so bad I didn't want to go anywhere. But here is what was my most important realization: I didn't know how much my body was suffering until I was better. I wasn't aware of the full extend of the pain I was experiencing in my body until I wasn't feeling those pain anymore. It was only when I had no more digestive problems that I was able to become aware of the degrees of the pain my body could feel. It was only after I stopped eating and drinking everything that were giving my digestive system problems, and cooking all my food well--until it was all soft for a few months that I began to notice the pain I had before. My digestive system didn't have to work hard to digest the foods I ate, so I had no abdominal pain, no mucus, etc. A few weeks of not having anything of those symptoms my breath started to clear up. So my point is we can't underestimate those things we are not aware of.

I know it's tough to live like that. But if it could help to clear up your bb, isn't it worth it?

Good luck.
P.S. it helps to get a blood test every year to check for any deficiencies such as iron, etc. I read somewhere that Enemia can cause Gastritis which in turn can cause bb.
Last edited by goodwill on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

goodwill
Total Newbie

Post by goodwill »

Hi rikki,

At one point when I first started to have bad breath I did also had body odor. It was actually very stinky. But I became a vegetarian and the body odor got a little better, but I was still stinky. My BO went away after a few months when I stopped eating everything that was hard on my digestive system.

I was also very skinny. Actually the diet helped me gain some weight as I was eating and drinking chicken, fish and beef stock, soup, and casseroles all the time. The fat from the chicken, fish, and beef helped me put on the extra pounds.

That GAPs diet is helpful, but be aware...if any part of it still gives you digestive problems...cater it to your needs. If your bb is caused by your digestive problems....then I guess whatever you do, try to not agitate it. If your BB is caused by something else, then you'd have to work in that area. But doing one thing at a time can help you keep track of what you're doing, so in the future you don't waste time doing the same things again.

I don't have any BO anymore. As long as I stay away from the foods that are reactive to me, my breath smells fresh. But, it took more than a year for it to get completely fresh. I don't have any digestive problems anymore. I went so far that I even took a food safety course (just to know how to handle my food properly). My breath smells a little if I drink milk or eat cream cheese or onions, etc but if I chew gum or brush my teeth after I eat those things it's okay...like people without a breath problem. If I eat the foods I am allergy too then my bb would come back, but mildly...and chewing regular gum doesn't help, but chewing French Kiss gum or sucking on a Mouth Wetting Lozenges from TeraBreath makes it manageable. The stomach pain also comes back mildly. That's why it's so imperative to avoid those foods that give us problems. I don't avoid it completely because when my breath is fresh I test these foods by eating a very small amount of one of the food at a time. In increase the tested food if the small amount doesn't cause me pain or bb. But so far no luck, when I eat a lot of these foods I always get the mild bb. What do I mean by mild? I could stand in front of people I've never meant before and have a conversation with them. If I have my French Kiss gum in my mouth, that person didn't do anything rude like touching their nose, etc. If I didn't have the gum in my mouth, most people also didn't do anything rude, but I guess it smelled a tiny bit because when I cupped my hands to my mouth and breathe out it smelled a bit like baby breath (after the baby drink some milk kind of breath). My goal is to see if I can eat these "allergy" foods in the future and still have normal smelling breath. I would like to be able to eat out at least once a week with friends or family members on their birthdays without having to suffer stomach pain or bb. But my doctor ordered me to stay away from these foods for another 6 months...I guess to continue healing and sealing the gut. Oh, at the beginning, before I went on the GAPs diet my doctor also tried to "seal and heal my gut" another way, but I didn't like that diet....She wanted me to eat like tones of cabbages and take the probiotics. I really mean tones...like a bucket full a day. But I hated the smell the cabbage gave to my breath. Now I actually eat it because my breath doesn't smell from eating it anymore.
When I first started to eliminate the foods that were giving me abdominal problems...overtime my breath got milder as the symptoms got less intense.

I hope this post answers your questions.
If you have any thoughts, just drop me a line.
Good luck.
BB sufferer
Total Newbie

Post by BB sufferer »

I have the same problem of allergies due to the "leaky gut" disease........eggs, dairy, nuts, bread etc. will cause pain and diarrhea
Summerside
Advanced
Re: Food intolerance/food allergies was my bad breath problem

Post by Summerside »

goodwill wrote:My story:
I live in Canada.
I am now 29 years old. My bad breath program started when I was 15 years old. Between 15 to 21 years old, the bad breath was on and off. When I was 21 all the way to 28 years old I had really bad breath. I mean it was so bad at one point; when I talked the odor traveled a much longer distance into the air. The odor came from my throat, and smell like fecal matter. I had post nasal drip, a while coating on my tongue, and occasionally I felt metallic taste in my mouth.

So at 22 I went to a dentist that also did bad breath treatment. I got put on antibiotic rinses, etc. I also tried special toothpaste and mouth rinses, and I chewed special gum (therabreath brand) a lot, but nothing was of used. A few years later, at 26 years old, I remembered that dentist told me that chronic bad breath could be symptoms of some kind of health problem.

All these time, I denied that I had any health problems because in truth I was "healthy". But I went to my family doctor to get everything check anyway. I got blood test...basically everything tested, including a SKIN ALLERGY TEST. The only things of concern were my low iron count and my allergy to dust and pollen (just mildly). Other than that I'm healthy! No liver problem, no lung problem, etc.

A year later I went to visit a naturopathic doctor that had extensive knowledge on nutrition and digestive problems. Although my work with the family doctor showed that I have healthy organs, I was still suffering from abdominal pain, gas, and heart burn. Something else about my history that made my go to the naturopathic doctor was because when I was 17 I had terrible pain in my stomach (the family doctor just give me antibiotic and it went away), but at 19 the same pain came back (again antibiotic), and again at 21 the same pain came back (again antibiotic). After that, that pain never came back again. But my eating habits had changed after 21...I became a vegetarian. I guessed, not eating bread, etc helped a little. Little did I know, I have allergies to gluten, wheat, and soy! My naturopathic doctor and I did an ALLERGY BLOOD TEST and we found out the foods I was allergic to. I went on a special diet for 6 months.

Slowly my bad breath got milder and my mind became clearer! So I stayed away from the food I'm allergic to and amazingly no more abdominal pain, no more heart burn, no more mental fogginess, etc. Now I don't even have to chew gum! I can save my money! My breath is not one hundred percent because during my treatment I cheated a lot (eating cake etc). But I stopped doing that because every time I did my abdominal pain came back and also was my bad breath. So when I get the occasionally cravings to eat sweets so I just go to the gluten free bakeries. I vowed to take care of my digestive health because I know that without it and without my fresh breath I can't truly live my life.

I still see my naturopathic doctor and we decided for me to stay away from those foods for another six months. The goal is to see if in the future I can tolerant eating those foods.

My suggestion:
Please go visit a caring doctor to help you take a history of your health and who truly cares about healing you. A lot of the work was own my own reflection and paying attention to my body as I knew my doctor was only there to help me not do everything for me. We were a team, but she was the right teammate!

I had a hard time deciding what kind of doctor to go to. Should I see a chinese doctor, a homeopathic doctor, or a naturopathic doctor? My family doctor wouldn't recommend a gastroenterologist! He pointed out to me that I might have a psychological problem because of my depression during my late teenage years. This is why patients go "doctor shopping!" I also went to see another family doctor before I resorted to seeing a different kind of doctor. This other family doctor told me that I shouldn't go "doctor shopping." So sad that they couldn't come around to the patients' perspectives and experiences, but instead chose to feel insulted because I was honest enough to tell her I wasn't being taken care of from the other doctor. Put that aside....after some reading up on those info., I chose a naturopathic doctor because I heard that they were very caring and they practiced differently than the family doctors that I knew. Also I chose the doctor that had knowledge on digestive problem because of my own digestive symptoms. I'm thankful that she was a good choice.
I think that your well-being and your life are worth the try!

Please feel free to share any thoughts.
Hanh

Wow this story is so similar to mine. I start to think that the food sensitivity could be my problem. Maybe. I always suspected that food has something to do with my bb.
I am looking forward to my results
danymyman87
Total Newbie

Post by danymyman87 »

Hello @goodwill,I'm Daniel and I believe I have pretty much the same simptoms as you had , I've seen that your post is from 2013 so I don't expect you to answer really but I also have really bad breath like so bad that others could sense it fro feet away,after 5 min of breathing in a car for example when people get in they are thrilled about the odor ,I did allergies tests and I'm waiting for the results hopefully I will find out what I have ,the problem of the bad breath comes out no matter what I do ,washing teeth ,using mouth wash or bucal shower it comes in the same intensity,some people told me in my face offering chew gum and coffe before talking with me which is crazy,I've had the problem full time for like 8 years or so but the intensity just grew over the years,anyway I hope you see my message,have a great day and life 🙏
thejust

Post by thejust »

Anyone know a cure for room filling bb that smells like cheese/feces? (I don't have to talk at all and it would still smell)
SmellyMelly111
Total Newbie

Post by SmellyMelly111 »

@danymyman87 I have this exact same issue. Same symptoms and duration. Let’s post if either of us ever finds a cure or even temporary help
Anne2323
Junior

Re:

Post by Anne2323 »

goodwill wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 am
But, it took more than a year for it to get completely fresh. I don't have any digestive problems anymore.

Have you discovered the cause of the food sensitivities?
My doctor calls them food sensitivities , because they’re not really allergies, neither intolerances. We’re currently working on finding what causes them for me, because if you don’t fix what caused them, there will be others in the future.

I also have high intolerance (red zone) for cow milk and oats. Medium intolerance (orange zone) for any other type of milk, egg whites, cocoa, cola, green beans, red beans and low intolerance (yellow zone) for yeast, peanuts and cashews.

I haven’t eaten any of them in 3 months. Except maybe for yeast, because it is in almost everything…

Also, is your tongue still white coating?
Worst breath
Junior

Post by Worst breath »

Have you seen any improvement in these 3 months u stopped eating these food
Anne2323
Junior

Post by Anne2323 »

Worst breath wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:07 pm Have you seen any improvement in these 3 months u stopped eating these food
Yes, there is improvement, but I take supplements for faster healing and I’ve also introduced some foods that help with that (bone broth, aloe juice and chia seeds)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic