Your Email Address:

First Name:

My journey

Tell us your story with bad breath
Rhaegar
Total Newbie

My journey

Post by Rhaegar »

First of all, english is not even my second language, so forgive my grammar.

This thread will be a blog type, i will try different stuff and report here how have they worked.

So, for the backround, BB started when i was around 17. Mouth did not feel fresh and i was paranoid talking with people face to face, so i chewed gum all the time. First real clue was when we had a field trip to a local factory and we were told to wear a respiratory mask. I wasn’t able to wear this over couple of minutes because air in there turned really bad. I did not care much about this, even though i got some comments from here and there. Right now i am 22 years old. I test my breath with different methods, i use the classic lick test and cotton swab test and if i have the time i put a surgical mask and take deep breaths. After couple of minutes i can tell how bad my breath is, I have found it to be in correlation with lick and cotton test, when my saliva smells sour and i have yellow/greysh gunk on a cotton, then the air in surgical mask will be foul. According to reactions and everything, i have ONLY MOUTH ODOR. I think i dont have BB all the time and my BB is not very strong and can be smelled from close distance, but this has made me very paranoid and halitophobic, I avoid close interactions even when i feel fresh.

Symptoms:
White dots on tongue which are really hard to scrape off, but they smell foul and when they are removed i dont have BB

When i eat sugary foods etc i get really sour feeling in my mouth, i get same sour or foul feeling when i am brushing with regular cheap toothpaste. Same goes with cigarettes and alcohol.(Interesting is that my parents have also BB after brushing their teeth)

I have bubbly and white saliva, dry mouth. I get food particles in my throat after eating, for about an 30 minutes. (My saliva is really white and foamy when i have dry mouth and if i spit it out, it's really thick and white, not volatile at all, when i feel fresh, my saliva is more watery and volatile. Therefore i think my saliva is not cleaning my tongue enough, so when I swallow it, it remains in my throat, because no volatility.)

My throat produces huge amount of mucus which is thicky, glue like and tastes salty, although it is completely odorless and colorless.

Things that have been done:
Tonsils taken out when i was 12, had tonsillitis.
Went to the dentist, had all my 3 fillings replaced.
Deep cleaning, and mouth inspection, were told that teeth and gums are ok
Usuall floss, brush teeth and tongue with toothbrush.
What really helped me was peroxide, it left clean feeling in my mouth for about 2 hours and when i went out i got 0 reactions and tongue was really pink and moist.
Same thing with Tung brush, it helps for about 2 hours, maximum 3 if sipping water regularly, after that the foul smell and tongue coating come back.
I told my family doctor that my mouth feels really dry most of the time, she measured my blood sugar levels and took some tests to rule out autoimmune disorders, ofcourse everything came back negative.
Took high dose of food supplements and vitamins, including magnesium and zinc.
Tried dairy and lactose free diet.

Things that may contribute to my bad breath
I have really bad allergies in the spring, my nose is inflammed most of the time, but no PND or runny nose. (My BB is a year around disease, so i dont think it is a big factor, tho I have some food allergies, so my lips swell up a bit)
Was in a car accident when i was 15 years old, hurt my neck really bad.
Had braces when i was 15, my teeth were straightened within in a year, dentist left a wire behind my upper frontal teeth to prevent dislocation. This wire is still there, but dentist sayed that this could not cause BB. My gums are not inflammed and i can clean wire easly with a toothbrush.
I have allergy related asthma, so i take corticosteroids, again i was off all my medications for 6 months and no relief.
Interesting thing is i have double chin and fat cheeks, but my bodyfat is pretty low, might be genetic.
I have partially erupted wisdom teeth, but again they just started growing and no weird taste or smell around them.

I have a doctor appointment next week where i ask for IgA deficiency test, I've read that it is not very rare disease, and can go unnoticable, only allergies and mild infections. After that maybe i go to another ENT and ask for his/her opinion.

Feel free to comment and express an opinion.

Rhaegar
Total Newbie

Post by Rhaegar »

So, doctor do not think that antibody test is neccesary right now. I will have my second ENT appointment soon, will see. Interesting is that it is almost bedtime here and my mouth feels really fresh, tongue is ideal pink and moist. I have done same regime everyday for about 3 months without a long lasting relief and today i had normal breath for all day long. :roll: I dont even need test or nothing, because I just feel my mouth is neutral and clean.
Corpsebreath
Advanced

Post by Corpsebreath »

What's your current regime?
Rhaegar
Total Newbie

Post by Rhaegar »

Hey, i use tung brush + gel, floss and traditional toothbrush for teeth. Toothpaste is SLS free Sensodyne. It is not very complicated and has not been very effective until yesterday, when for the first time my breath stayed fresh all day and tongue was ideal pink. Today i still feel fresh but I can see a little bit of tongue coating coming back.
Rhaegar
Total Newbie

Post by Rhaegar »

Third day in a row my mouth have been fresh, saliva is not smelling at all. Today i even did not have to use tung brush, because no coating at all. Weird is that when i was hungry today, i felt metallic or weird bitter taste in my mouth, pretty unpleasant feeling, but no coating nor saliva smell, could not tell if i had BB. I dont know what is going on or not even if my BB originates from tongue or if i have BB at all right now. We need some reliable ****ing test. Even other people reactions are not accurate, one of my coworker had pretty bad breath one day from talking for a long period of time and i watched as he interacted with others and guess what - 0 nose rubs or backing off or any other common reaction mentioned on this site. His breath was pretty foul.
StillHoping
Sheriff
Canada

Post by StillHoping »

Hi Rhaeger. may I ask about your diet? Have you made any significant changes? Especially this week - what types of food have you been eating?
2012: Wisdoms remov
2015: Tonsils+adenoids remov
2017: TMAU1 & 2 Negative
2019: Internal biopsies normal
2019: Completed SIBO treatment
2020: DigEnzymes help but side effects
+ low fodmap/GERD diet also help
Rhaegar
Total Newbie

Post by Rhaegar »

StillHoping wrote:Hi Rhaeger. may I ask about your diet? Have you made any significant changes? Especially this week - what types of food have you been eating?
Hey, um i consume a lot of protein and less carbs and fat because i am trying to get lean for the summer, I avoid processed foods and eat pretty healthy. (I am not in a caloric deficit right now) I have not done any drastical changes in my meals so i doubt this is the case. I've had BB for about 6 years now, so i dont think 30% less carbs would have an impact. Usually when i wake up i rush to brush my teeth because mouth is dry and stale and even this wont help much. Today i woke up with a clean feeling and moist tongue. Will see how long it lasts. I've gained a little confidence now, but still when I am havent eat something for like 2 hours i feel like i have bad breath which is not coming from the tongue. 8-[ (Just to clarify my problem is not imaginary because only in this month 2 of my friends told me out of blue, that I should go and brush my teeth right now) And one more thing. Things taste differently right now. I cant tell if my tasting sensation have increased or decreased, but i can tell water and most food have different taste than they had a month ago.
Marcus54
Total Newbie

Something that should help with your bad breath

Post by Marcus54 »

Hi Rhaeger,
I think you can greatly benefit by the method I describe in my youtube video (it is a very direct approach so if you are after a very much more clumsy method, check with the bad breath experts). I have not seen the method anywhere I have searched - I worked it out myself (to get rid of my bad breath - I was astonished it worked instantly and completely).
https://youtu.be/pybLVKfpf7I
Cheers
Rhaegar
Total Newbie

Post by Rhaegar »

Thank you for this video marcus! But as far as i can understand i can clean my tongue as clean as i want my problem will reoccur within a couple of hours. Little update. My metallic taste went so far that i could not taste anything anymore, pretty scary. Now metallic taste have pretty much dissapeared but my mouth is infected pretty badly. I mean my whole tongue is covered with yellow goo and when i scrub my tongue with my teeth i can taste bacteria. My breath right now smells like "fever breath" or "sick breath" according to my friend. I dont know if this infection is localised only in mouth or systemic because i have been having stomach pains and really i mean really bad smelling farts and basically no bowel movements for 2 days. Dont know if these symptoms are related but they occured at the same time.
Marcus54
Total Newbie

Post by Marcus54 »

Hi Rhaegar,
I agree, it really needs some kind of treatment from a doctor.
The metallic taste in itself is pointing to something else let alone the other symptoms. Apart from the infection, maybe it might be worth looking at some kind of deficiency. But note: I don't have any real idea.
If you do work it out, it would be good to know the outcome.

Best of Luck

Mark
Marcus54
Total Newbie

Post by Marcus54 »

Hi Rhaegar,
Just a few thoughts: you said you could scrape the white spots off your tongue - maybe you could either check it out under a toy microscope or get the Doctor to have it examined at the Path. Lab in the same manner. Maybe there might be a clue in it somewhere. i.e. is it chemical or is it biological.

Secondly: you don't appear to be using the peroxide on a regular basis - you do know (according to my reading) peroxide is both toxic to cells and breaks down protein (in other words not good to use long term.)

Cheers
Rhaegar
Total Newbie

Post by Rhaegar »

Hey Mark, thank you for replies. Yes I try to avoid using Peroxide since it is possibly toxic and harmful. I called a doctor and next week have my saliva tested for possible infection. My tongue is really really white, it looks like a bad case of oral thrush when compared to pictures found on the internet. It can be scraped off, but will come back shortly, really heavy coating started like a week ago, after dissapearing for a short period of time. Before that, the coating was not that bad. It is definetly biological, I can't tell right know right now is it bacteria or a fungus. I hope the doctor is able to determine the microorganism and exterminate it completely. On the sidenote - I have never been on antibiotics in my life.
Marcus54
Total Newbie

Post by Marcus54 »

Hi Rhaegar,
It is interesting you have never taken antibiotics before - I certainly have. I came across a website just doing a bit of reading this morning and some of the symptoms are similar to yours. You may already have seen it (considering you would be searching for info), but here it is anyway http://www.breathcure.com/v/bad-breath/symptoms.html
what I find interesting is 'Bad Breath Symptoms' and the 3rd last to do with 'sinus irrigation'. I just wonder how the mucus might be associated with sinuses in some way. Maybe curing the infection might be all that is required and of course your Doctor will let you know, but at least you have the info even if it isn't relevant in your case.
Cheers
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic