First Name:

My story and cure which worked for me

Tell us your story with bad breath
Terrapin
Total Newbie
My story and cure which worked for me

Post by Terrapin »

Hi everyone,

I visited this forum several years ago, and had BB for more than 10 years since my mid teenage years. This is a great place for people to share our hopes and frustrations, since its a very personal topic. I wish to share my story and the solution which worked for me in hopes it can cure others with similar conditions.

Like many of us, I tried countless products, and even coated my mouth with xylitol before going to bed in hopes it'll reduce BB (didn't work). Many products made my BB worse, either by drying or irritating my mouth, especially when I gargle. My oral and general doctors simply gave general advice when I inform them my BB, maintain proper oral hygiene etc. My conversations with people were awkward, as I was always conscious of them smelling my BB. I had many ups and downs, such as hoping my partially erupted wisdom teeth was the cause and even when removed I still had BB.

Several months ago I visited my ENT for non BB reasons, and during the inspection with a video camera my doctor showed my tonsils. I wasn't aware tonsils were also located in the upper areas of my inner mouth, and I saw post nasal drip there as well.

I realized when I normally gargle the mouthwash doesn't reach that area, so I exposed the upper tonsils with mouthwash by sticking my tongue out and closing my mouth, tilt my head back and then slowly tilt my head sideways so the top of my head is pointing the floor. I do this for the left and right tonsils, so I repeat the movement to my left and right. It's a silly looking movement but well worth it. I rinse with Listerine Zero (Some users reported mouth peeling but I didn't experience that) first and then Tom's of Maine zinc mouthwash, I don't rinse with water afterwards. Those are the only mouthwashes which consistently doesn't dry or irritate my mouth, and I notice some BB if I use only one of the mouthwashes. (Note: I don't use chlorine dioxide products such as Therabreath and Closys since chlorine dioxide is an oxidant and I'm not confident if its safe for long term use.)

The method worked! Initially I thought I was just having those good days without noticeable BB, so I did it for a month and my BB was drastically reduced. It has been nearly 2 months and I no longer smell my own BB when eating, and people don't wrinkle their noses when I talk to them.

I hope my solution which worked for me would also work for many others and remove the BB shackle. Good luck everyone!

Dead
Advanced
Re: My story and cure which worked for me

Post by Dead »

So are you talking about the adenoids or the palatine tonsils?
Terrapin
Total Newbie
Re: My story and cure which worked for me

Post by Terrapin »

I'm referring to the palatine tonsils, specifically the upper areas, beyond the uvula. My ENT pulled up my soft palate in front of my palatine tonsil and thats when I learned my palatine tonsils extended much further up than I thought.

I doubt my method reaches the adenoids, but I think people with BB even with tonsils removed can try my method since that area of the mouth can't be reached with the normal mouth washing method, which is the tilt head back and gargle. For people with removed palatine tonsils and still has BB, it's possible bacteria still accumulate in the area where the palatine tonsils were.

I'll follow up again in a few months to really see if my method worked for me. It's been almost two months and I'm good so far.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic