Your Email Address:

First Name:

Cured.

Tell us your story with bad breath
someone
Total Newbie
Cured.

Post by someone »

I developed bad breath nearly 20 years ago due to bad oral hygiene (not brushing every day). I went to the dentist maybe 4 times during that period (poverty sucks). Cleanings didn't do anything. 5 years ago I got a deep cleaning, which stopped the bad breath for a few weeks, but it came back (not as bad as it before but still bad).

Last year, I went to a dentist (after 5 years of not seeing one because I had no insurance) and he told me I had gum disease. I ended up doing a deep cleaning and gum flap surgery over several months. He prescribed antibiotics to me after my first surgery to kill bacteria in my gums so my gums could heal. My bad breath problem has been gone since then. My mouth feels so clean in the morning. Morning breath is barely there.

These days I brush twice and floss every day and get regular cleanings. I think my previous dentists should have suggested gum flap surgery but didn't because I didn't have the best insurance or they just wanted to do the bare minimum.

If you think it's your gums that's the problem, maybe try another dentist, get a second opinion. I did research and found a dentist who had great reviews.

I also had my mercury fillings (about 10) replaced with composites right before the deep cleaning and surgery.

Good luck to all of you.

Life_Goes_On
Advanced
Re: Cured.

Post by Life_Goes_On »

Congratulations on finding your cure, it must be an amazing feeling to finally find the solution to your 20 year problem. Personally, I only had chronic bad breath for about 7 years now and I hope I can one day find my cure like you have. I got a couple of questions for you... What signs or symptoms made your dentist declare that you had gum disease? Which antibiotics were prescribed to you after your deep cleaning? And was your bad breath 24/7 before your deep cleaning?
someone
Total Newbie

Post by someone »

Thank you, Life_Goes_On. Yes, I'm very grateful that I finally found a solution. I hope you find yours soon.

The problem was chronic. Shortly after brushing my teeth, I'd notice some odor that would get worse throughout the day. I was always chewing gum to mask it.

The antibiotics were amoxicillin and metronidazole. I took them for about 2 weeks after the first surgery.

The dentist used a tool to measure my gum pockets, and they were very deep. I remember some pockets being 6 to 7mm deep and healthy gum pockets should be under 4mm deep. They also took x-rays before and after the deep cleaning. Both x-rays showed tartar/calculus. The dentist decided on the gum flap surgery because he couldn't reach all the tartar during the deep cleaning.

I was also experiencing bleeding gums regularly. Recently one of the dental assistants commented on my gums looking much healthier, so they must have looked unhealthy before the surgery. They also checked my pocket depths and they've all decreased.
winter
Sheriff

Post by winter »

Congrats! Any nasal BB?
someone
Total Newbie

Post by someone »

Thanks, winter. The times I've had nasal bb were when I'd eat dairy (specifically yogurt) every day for about a week. I avoid dairy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic