Your Email Address:

First Name:

My story as teenager

Tell us your story with bad breath
Rebee
Total Newbie

My story as teenager

Post by Rebee »

I'm an eighteen year old girl that has been suffering from halitosis for about four years now. This disease has caused me to lose my friends throughout high school and turn into a really shy person. I've tried everything, from researching online to buying expensive products, and nothing has worked.

I never could find out why the issue began, I just know that it started after I started brushing my tongue, this provoked some gagging and sometimes vomit, which I believe ruined my tongue with acid. However, I'm not an expert so I can't be sure. All I know is that nothing solves it and even when I try new products, they always taste bad in my mouth and the odor persists.

Just like many cases that I've read on here, my family can't smell anything and thinks I'm crazy, however other people always act weird around me and some have even resorted to stop talking to me. It makes me sad because I really don't know how it started and why, and how I can get rid of it.

The only way I've survived is by keeping gum under my tongue when I talk to people. Even if the smell of the gum gets amplified and smells weird, I prefer the gum breath to just bad breath in general. I have tried products like Therabreath and Profresh, however as I mentioned before, their taste just stays in my mouth and turns sour. I even went to a dentist, but she only recommended Therabreath and could never help me because she couldn't find the problem either. I am literally almost out of hope. If anyone has any remedies that have helped, please let me know.

ikageorgian
Advanced

Re: My story as teenager

Post by ikageorgian »

Rebee wrote:I'm an eighteen year old girl that has been suffering from halitosis for about four years now. This disease has caused me to lose my friends throughout high school and turn into a really shy person. I've tried everything, from researching online to buying expensive products, and nothing has worked.

I never could find out why the issue began, I just know that it started after I started brushing my tongue, this provoked some gagging and sometimes vomit, which I believe ruined my tongue with acid. However, I'm not an expert so I can't be sure. All I know is that nothing solves it and even when I try new products, they always taste bad in my mouth and the odor persists.

Just like many cases that I've read on here, my family can't smell anything and thinks I'm crazy, however other people always act weird around me and some have even resorted to stop talking to me. It makes me sad because I really don't know how it started and why, and how I can get rid of it.
The only way I've survived is by keeping gum under my tongue when I talk to people. Even if the smell of the gum gets amplified and smells weird, I prefer the gum breath to just bad breath in general. I have tried products like Therabreath and Profresh, however as I mentioned before, their taste just stays in my mouth and turns sour. I even went to a dentist, but she only recommended Therabreath and could never help me because she couldn't find the problem either. I am literally almost out of hope. If anyone has any remedies that have helped, please let me know.
@rebee Read the topic: Chlorine bleach as mouthwash and see my pists, may be helpful. Good luck
pepper234

Post by pepper234 »

Hey Rebee,
Sorry to hear about your friends. Have you tried seeing a doctor? What other symptoms do you have? It would be useful for pointing towards a cause. For example sinus infections could mean you have postnasal drip, leading to BB. Or digestive problems and reflux could lead to BB.
Bb5yrs
Advanced

Post by Bb5yrs »

pepper234 wrote:Hey Rebee,
Sorry to hear about your friends. Have you tried seeing a doctor? What other symptoms do you have? It would be useful for pointing towards a cause. For example sinus infections could mean you have postnasal drip, leading to BB. Or digestive problems and reflux could lead to BB.

go to gastro dr
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus Surgery - Check
Dentist Examination - Check
H Pylori - Positive & got treatment - Check
Post nasal drip - tried temporary medication to stop it but BB didn't go - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
bludee
Total Newbie

Post by bludee »

Hey just read your story, it totally sucks, as my story is quite similar. But ive changed my lifestyle and now some days theres no smell, other days my bresth isnt good at all. Luckily mine started after I left highschool, it started in my second year of varsity. I had major issuess with it,I stopped speaking to everyone, I stopped attending lectures, the problem got fixed for like a year then it returned full force. I'm back at varsity, battling but staying strong. But there are some things I do and some things I dont do, and I found this can be managed. Let me know more about your symptoms thanx
Bb5yrs
Advanced

Post by Bb5yrs »

bludee wrote:Hey just read your story, it totally sucks, as my story is quite similar. But ive changed my lifestyle and now some days theres no smell, other days my bresth isnt good at all. Luckily mine started after I left highschool, it started in my second year of varsity. I had major issuess with it,I stopped speaking to everyone, I stopped attending lectures, the problem got fixed for like a year then it returned full force. I'm back at varsity, battling but staying strong. But there are some things I do and some things I dont do, and I found this can be managed. Let me know more about your symptoms thanx

how do u manage it?
Tonsillectomy - Check
Sinus Surgery - Check
Dentist Examination - Check
H Pylori - Positive & got treatment - Check
Post nasal drip - tried temporary medication to stop it but BB didn't go - Check
Mouth Swab Clear - Check
bludee
Total Newbie

Post by bludee »

I know to avoid beef, spices, smoking, sugar, soda, and pastries. Some fruits are good, not sure which. I take lots of probiotics. In the morning, throughout the day and in the evenings. It somewhat helps. I'm still building on the list of do's and don'ts.
Rebee
Total Newbie

Post by Rebee »

Thank for the positive responses. I needed that. Some symptoms include sour tasting mucus when I swallow, lots of phlegm (that also tastes weird), dry tongue, and general bad taste in my mouth. Even after I brush my teeth. It's like if everything I put in my mouth turns bad. I haven't had any symptoms relating to my stomach, so I'm not sure it's gastric related. I was wondering what probiotics do you guys recommend?
Rebee
Total Newbie

Post by Rebee »

bludee wrote:I know to avoid beef, spices, smoking, sugar, soda, and pastries. Some fruits are good, not sure which. I take lots of probiotics. In the morning, throughout the day and in the evenings. It somewhat helps. I'm still building on the list of do's and don'ts.
Which probiotics do you use??
bludee
Total Newbie

Post by bludee »

GastroChoice probiotic
fog
Junior

Post by fog »

Sounds like halitophobia to me.
Ryan94uk
Total Newbie

Post by Ryan94uk »

Strangely mine started after brushing my tongue also, maybe some people are better off just leaving there tongue and just brushing there teeth.

I'm trying a little experiment of not brushing my tongue at the moment and I'm a week in, if I'm honest i have seen an improvement and will continue for another week.
Rebee
Total Newbie

Post by Rebee »

I found out I have tonsil stones so Im gonna try to get them removed and see what happens
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic