Your Email Address:

First Name:

How my quest to cure bad breath almost killed me

Tell us your story with bad breath
umbongo
Total Newbie
How my quest to cure bad breath almost killed me

Post by umbongo »

I've had BB since I was a teenager but only in recent years had I begun to notice a strange sensation in my throat and very occasional tonsil stones coming out when coughing or talking. Gross. These things smell awful. I finally felt I had to do something about it as it was seriously affecting my life and confidence in social situations. I told my doctor who suggested gargling salt water. Yea... That wasn't going to cure it so I went private to a different surgeon who stuck a camera down my throat and saw no signs of any tonsil stones but reluctantly agreed to perform a tonsillectomy to see if it helped the discomfort in my throat.

In May I had the operation. I woke up, drowsy with a painful throat but everything was fine. The surgeon afterwards came by my bed and told me how surprised he was at the state of my tonsils. They were covered in tonsil stones. "Great", I thought. "I've made the right decision". I was discharged that day and sent home with some nice pain meds to recover for a couple of weeks and then carry on with my life.

5 days after the Op, I was getting ready for bed when I felt a very small tickle in my throat. I coughed a few times and walked to the bathroom by which point blood was pouring out of my mouth into the sink. My girlfriend was thankfully home and heard me spluttering away and called an ambulance. Was rushed to hospital, bleeding did not stop. I lost half of my blood in an hour, white as a ghost, heart pounding, blood pressure crashing and my body and brain started shutting down. I eventually blacked out and woke up a short while later having bags of blood being squeezed into my arm. Since the wound was still open, every squeeze of the bag sent blood shooting out of my mouth. A horrifying feeling but it eventually stabilised me and I stayed in hospital for several days before being sent home to recover.

4 days after that, more or less the same thing happened again. Lost a huge amount of blood in a short period of time at home. Remember being in the resuscitation room thinking to myself "What on earth have I done? I'm going to die here or this will just happen again, Why did I choose this?". I then vomited up 2 bowls of blood, the doctors started running around and I blacked out again. Woke up 2 hours later after an emergency operation and several blood transfusions and was in hospital for another week.

Thankfully that WAS the last of it. 3 months later I had fully healed and had gradually got my strength back after taking loads of iron tablets. I don't want to scare anyone as apparently this sort of thing is very rare but it is still a risk. If you ever go through with this, always always have somebody with you at all times. My gf being able to call the ambulance saved my life.

The best news is, the bad breath has gone and it really has made a huge difference to my life. Good luck to everyone else trying to shift halitosis.

winter
Sheriff

Re: How my quest to cure bad breath almost killed me

Post by winter »

Did you have nasal BB?

How long after the tonsillectomy did your BB disappear? Wondering if it might be all the blood transfusions and other treatments you might have had that somehow solved the BB.

If anyone is going to do a tonsillectomy, remember to drink a lot of water and resist the urge to cough.
umbongo
Total Newbie

Post by umbongo »

It wasn't particularly nasal. Tended to mostly be when talking or singing. I gradually figured out that whenever I was relaxed while talking with close friends/family, my throat muscles would also relax which would expose the tonsil stones and make the smell particularly bad. About a month after the surgery the BB was gone and I'm almost certain it's because of no longer having these tonsil stones. Now I just get dry mouth BB after waking up every morning but a quick brush of the teeth completely fixes it for the day.

Good advice about drinking water and avoid eating bananas while recovering. They are extremely painful for about half an hour afterwards.
mindspace
Advanced

Post by mindspace »

Hi guys.The cause of bad breath is vitamin b12 deficiency and MTHFR gene deficiency.Process methylation in body is very important and is happen in the liver.If you have candida (mucus in throat,tonsil stones,sinusitis etc) you can't do properly detox of the body due to methylation.I was on strict diet and lost so many kilos like other people and instead of this I had low blood pressure and other problems.Is because vitamin b12 deficiency leads to anaemia.That's why some people are cured by blood transfusion but not all.We need b12 -methylcobalamin and methyl form of folic acid-methylenetetrahydrofolate and rich foods in b12-fish,shrimps,seafood,,beef,liver beef,chicken-animal food.Vegan people are risky.If we beat this problem we will be healthy people-no histamine,no allergic reactions,candida,parasites.Low methylation process in the body means high homocysteine levels.Homocysteine is amino acid that produce sulphur and is poisonous for the body.
Summerside
Advanced

Post by Summerside »

mindspace wrote:Hi guys.The cause of bad breath is vitamin b12 deficiency and MTHFR gene deficiency.Process methylation in body is very important and is happen in the liver.If you have candida (mucus in throat,tonsil stones,sinusitis etc) you can't do properly detox of the body due to methylation.I was on strict diet and lost so many kilos like other people and instead of this I had low blood pressure and other problems.Is because vitamin b12 deficiency leads to anaemia.That's why some people are cured by blood transfusion but not all.We need b12 -methylcobalamin and methyl form of folic acid-methylenetetrahydrofolate and rich foods in b12-fish,shrimps,seafood,,beef,liver beef,chicken-animal food.Vegan people are risky.If we beat this problem we will be healthy people-no histamine,no allergic reactions,candida,parasites.Low methylation process in the body means high homocysteine levels.Homocysteine is amino acid that produce sulphur and is poisonous for the body.
I am pretty sure vegan is not good for bb
I eat lots of meat veggis. Got food sensitivities from all the cashew sauces.
Just my theorie
mindspace
Advanced

Post by mindspace »

All of what I wrote is true.Believe me guys.I also got some food sensitivities.Methylation process inhibited candida toxins.
sopo
Advanced

Post by sopo »

Holy sh*t ! I'm getting my tonsils out in few days..I'm scared now.
Umbongo can you please tell me your age and the type of surgery you had. Was it don't by traditional method or by laser. Thanks
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic