Your Email Address:

First Name:

Well, my tonsils are out!

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
findacure
Master

Well, my tonsils are out!

Post by findacure »

OK its been about 2 weeks now, and im still not sure if the op has worked.

It was the first time i ever went in to hospital i wasnt nervous at all.

I got alot of reactions from the medical staff in there, with a few coming to me with a fresh peice of chewing gum in thier mouth but hey, i was expecting.

So the pain - It wasnt that bad, i was on pain med which im sure helped alot and i was able to eat the next day.

So im back home, and still dont know if it has worked. I have been kind of relying on one of those breath tester things which u blow into and it tells you how bad your breath is. When i first had it, it wld always show a really bad reading which it 4 (very strong odour) and now after the op its showing a 2 which means a slight dour, but as i said i dont know if i can rely on that plus im too embarrased to ask anyone how my breath smells!

I have had some reactions from a family member and a freind but i dont know if hats just a natural reaction to me as they know i have BB, so i cant really rely on those reactions either.

So im hoping to go out when im much better and talk to a few people and see how they react to me, then i will now for sure if its worked.

Any question dont hesistate to ask me

findacure

sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

no matter what you do your breath will be gross for like 2 or 3 weeks after, but it will taste and feel cleaner.

also, i never mentioned this after i got mine taken out. i was bb free a few weeks after i had my tonsils out. then one night, i noticed some bad tastes and a fecal smell on my breath. it's something about being 100% bb free that allows you to smell your breath exactly when it's bad. i think that's why people who don't have bb look down on those who do, because it's pretty easy to tell at least for me if my breath has any scent to it.

anyway. i looked at my tonsil area and i found that some parts weren't quite healed and the white scabs were still there. so i wiped them with a q-tip and low and behold that's where the smell was coming from. i q-tipped my tonsil area thoroughly with hydrogen peroxide. i did it like seven times on each side and gargled. that was the end of my bb. at least till i started the prilosec. i took it for longer than 2 weeks as suggested by my doctor eventhough the box says don't take it for more than 2. after 2 weeks i had halitosis again. it went away after when i stopped it.

hope this helps. it all jus to say that you should just make sure you clean the area out very well after week 2 or 3 so the bb bacteria don't repopulate your mouth.
sweets07
Advanced

Re: Well, my tonsils are out!

Post by sweets07 »

findacure wrote:
I have had some reactions from a family member and a freind but i dont know if hats just a natural reaction to me as they know i have BB, so i cant really rely on those reactions either.

So im hoping to go out when im much better and talk to a few people and see how they react to me, then i will now for sure if its worked.

findacure
be brave and just ask ur friends and family what your breath smells like. i used to have panic attacks and cry my eyes out just THINKING about telling someone i had bad breath, let alone ask them to smell it. so after my tonsillectomy i sucked it up and told my whole family and my best friend. i had them tell me directly what they thought and to this day they think i made the whole thing up. they don't smell anything, so they think everything i went through before i had them out was in my head. i'm now the hypochondriac of my family. it's so sad, but i'm just glad to be past this. i hope the same for you too!

if anyone has skype and wants to talk, you can private message me. i know it can feel lonely sometimes. when i was going through it i contemplated taking my life so many times. i'll never forget what bb did to me, and i want the best for everyone here and to be as of much support as i can for you all still going through this.
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

[/quote]

it's so sad, but i'm just glad to be past this. i hope the same for you too!

if anyone has skype and wants to talk, you can private message me. i know it can feel lonely sometimes. when i was going through it i contemplated taking my life so many times. i'll never forget what bb did to me, and i want the best for everyone here and to be as of much support as i can for you all still going through this.[/quote]

Thanx for replying, your story has given me hope. I do think the op has made a difference though.

i never suffered with my tonsils, so i was so sure that they were not the problem.

On the asking people part, my people around me are so protective and i dont think they will even tell me the truth, they now that im very sensitive. I did ask my gran one time and she said i smelt ok, and she has a great sense of smell, but i think she said that to protect my feeling, which is understandable!

So im just praying that this has work, as i feel like im existing not living!
khadija
Total Newbie

Post by khadija »

findacure wrote:OK its been about 2 weeks now, and im still not sure if the op has worked.

I got alot of reactions from the medical staff in there, with a few coming to me with a fresh peice of chewing gum in thier mouth but hey, i was expecting.

So the pain - It wasnt that bad, i was on pain med which im sure helped alot and i was able to eat the next day.

So im back home, and still dont know if it has worked. I have been kind of relying on one of those breath tester things which u blow into and it tells you how bad your breath is. When i first had it, it wld always show a really bad reading which it 4 (very strong odour) and now after the op its showing a 2 which means a slight dour, but as i said i dont know if i can rely on that plus im too embarrased to ask anyone how my breath smells!

findacure

findacure can you please tell me what was the reason to take the tonsils out? I am also thinking to do mine but i need to do some scan maybe. I do not have lumps in my throat or anything or tonsil stones. I do however have sore throat most of the time - 24/7 and when i talk a little bit or none i feel lot of strain in my throat and voice it is like i been screeming all day!! is this because of my tonsils? I cant see any white things in my mouth either!! when i was young i used to have difficulty in swallowing - you think i need to take them out? I am ready to do it if i need to. I am about to see my GP soon anyway. Lately i started having post nasal drip which i never had before and my bb seems to be much worse that i can even sense it. When i been to my country for holiday nobody complained of my breath as i was blowing on my parents face different parts of the day but they just said that i am mad :!: I noticed since i moved in this house my bb got worse? I cant even smell cigarette smoke or any other thing as it is really bothering me. I have never been like this before. Could it be allergy or mites allergy through the fitted carpets? I believe that living in a house with tile floor or wood floor is much better than the fitted carpet - i think this has got to do with my breath as well. But i am not the way of checking everything - from blood to scan etc and try to find out why i gone so worst all of a sudden!!! It could be yeast infection in all!!!! :( :( Any suggestions?? :lol: Thanks
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

khadija wrote:
findacure wrote:OK its been about 2 weeks now, and im still not sure if the op has worked.

findacure

findacure can you please tell me what was the reason to take the tonsils out? I am also thinking to do mine but i need to do some scan maybe. I do not have lumps in my throat or anything or tonsil stones. I do however have sore throat most of the time - 24/7 and when i talk a little bit or none i feel lot of strain in my throat and voice it is like i been screeming all day!! is this because of my tonsils? I cant see any white things in my mouth either!! when i was young i used to have difficulty in swallowing - you think i need to take them out? I am ready to do it if i need to. I am about to see my GP soon anyway. Lately i started having post nasal drip which i never had before and my bb seems to be much worse that i can even sense it. When i been to my country for holiday nobody complained of my breath as i was blowing on my parents face different parts of the day but they just said that i am mad :!: I noticed since i moved in this house my bb got worse? I cant even smell cigarette smoke or any other thing as it is really bothering me. I have never been like this before. Could it be allergy or mites allergy through the fitted carpets? I believe that living in a house with tile floor or wood floor is much better than the fitted carpet - i think this has got to do with my breath as well. But i am not the way of checking everything - from blood to scan etc and try to find out why i gone so worst all of a sudden!!! It could be yeast infection in all!!!! :( :( Any suggestions?? :lol: Thanks
I told my doctor i had really bad sore throats, and i kept going back when she told me theres nothing she could do,

I went to the ENT which told me there was nothin wrong with my tonsils so i left feeling disappointed as i felt well thats the final answer

So i got anothor sore throat and went to my doctor, and was told im fine, then i got mad and i was like give me the address and name of the person who i need to speak to about this. Then she gave in and wrote to the hosptal and on the second visit i was told i could have the op.

With PND i dont know, i have PND and i think it has contributed to my BB, but i also suffer with hayfever and have used nasal sprays and allergy tabs, and not really notice that any of these have helped it.

i think it is worth having your tonsils out if you can get it done. I have to admite something has changed with my breath, as i said before i havent fully healed but i hope this is my cure!

will keep you posted.

findacure
khadija
Total Newbie

Post by khadija »

thanks findacure. That was a very helpful piece of information. I really suffer for sore throat and i feel it is getting worst. I am so sorry to know your trouble with ENT. But at least you are better now that you got your tonsils out so that makes up for that hard time!! I will insist to have my tonsils off as well.

As PND, i think same - it might be allergy we are having but if tablets wouldnt help then what else can help??. This is my only concern after wednesday when i do my colon hydrotherapy as then i have to think to sort my PND but still dont know how!! I ordered the champex odor cleanse - i heard it helps with the nose odour and it makes a bit of difference. So anyway i will give my reviews regarding that when i have tried it.
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

02/01/08 - update

Well, i asked my gran how my breath smelt and she told me ok which give me abit of hope, but theres something about asking my mother.

I dont know i just cant do it! I want her to be proud of me and not think she had same child thats a freek of nature, it just hurts my heart. Maybe she wont think that but i dont know.

So anyway me and my mom went shopping and as soon as we sat on the bus she offered my a chewing gum...! so is that a innitial/normal reaction too me or is that saying i have bb?

So i spoke to cashiers - no reaction, to shop staff members - no reaction, but my mouth was a lil dry throughtout the day so i made sure i bought some water to drink. So its still kind of early days i say
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

from what others before you have said, the bad breath from the surgery alone could take upward 5 weeks or more.. Depedning on healing time i guess?

I haven't been through this myself yet, but goodluck, and do keep us updated on your situation.
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

findacure wrote:02/01/08 - update

Well, i asked my gran how my breath smelt and she told me ok which give me abit of hope, but theres something about asking my mother.

I dont know i just cant do it! I want her to be proud of me and not think she had same child thats a freek of nature, it just hurts my heart. Maybe she wont think that but i dont know.

So anyway me and my mom went shopping and as soon as we sat on the bus she offered my a chewing gum...! so is that a innitial/normal reaction too me or is that saying i have bb?

So i spoke to cashiers - no reaction, to shop staff members - no reaction, but my mouth was a lil dry throughtout the day so i made sure i bought some water to drink. So its still kind of early days i say
your mom was probably trying to give you some gum because she knows that you are paranoid about your breath. my dad does that to me because he cooks with lots of garlic and always make sure to tell me ahead of time when i eat his food.

one time my best friend held her nose a lot when we were out. i asked if my breath smelled each time and each time she said it was something else all together- once she burped and covered her nose, and the other time we were in the Coach store looking at leather bags and she hates the smell of leather, so she covered her nose a lot.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

Asking people isn't always the answer. You see, not everyone speaks the truth about bb. Some people just don't want to hurt your feelings and just tell you, you don't have bb when you actually do. I mean you ask someone "no you don't have bb at all'. And then a couple of minutes later you ask someone else who's more honest "Yea you do have a little bad breath". Yes they add "a little", because they just don't want to hurt your feelings. This has happened to me so many times. I do not even see what the point is of asking other people. Instead I notcied that the reactions which I get from everyone who's standing within 3 meters, tell me more than enough. I suffer from this problem 24/7. There hasn't even been one sec in my life that I have been bb free. Though people never directly tell you you have bb, cause that would be very rude. I just hear them gossiping about it, when they think I'm not listening. I think a lot of people I know really want to tell me I've got bb, because they think I'm not aware of it. :?

I remember one time a girl from my class stepped up to me and said "hey, there something we need to tell you". She looked at me in a very weird way and said "nevermind". I almost got a heart attack, cause I knew she wanted to tell me I had bb. Then later that day one of her friends (a guy) said "Hey you never chew gum do you"? I was like "damn". I said "no" of course. I knew they had been discussing how to tell me I had bb without trying to hurt my feelings. But i don't really think that is possible. I was mad that day but then I realized they were just tellin me the truth.

Most of the people do not even have to care or worry about their breath. I guess it's just really hard for them to understand that we adjust our whole personality to it
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

Busted wrote:Asking people isn't always the answer. You see, not everyone speaks the truth about bb. Some people just don't want to hurt your feelings and just tell you, you don't have bb when you actually do.
lol i'm actually one of those people who doesn't know how to tell someone about their breath. i would only do it if it was a chronic problem they had no clue about.

i only have directly asked my dad, sister, and best friend to smell my breath and all three were very adamant about smelling it. like my best friend will come over to hang out and tap me saying let me smell your breath. my dad tells me stories about people with bad breath he could smell it across the room and from the back seat of the car when he was driving. he said to me "if you had bad breath i would tell you because i would NEVER let my baby girl walk around with a breath problem." another time, i was sitting with my cousin in the movies and in the car talking, and i was so sure my breath was awful because my tongue was dry. later on my dad asks her if she's ever smelled my breath and she said the same thing my dad said to me before and SWORE if she smelled it she would have given me gum or said something immediately. to her breath is important and she doesn't want folk talking about me. i'm starting to think this is a cultural thing... a fear of people talking about your family members.

anyway, my last story...i remember i was fighting with my ex one day, and i swore he was reacting to my breath and/or could smell it because i sensed it. i asked him after if he was reacting to it and he said "no because when it smells, i CAN SMELL it." he wasn't the one to lie to me about my breath because he's really religious and doesn't believe in lying. if my breath was bad and i asked him, he would usually just be silent and not want to answer.

bottom line:

it depends on who you ask and how you ask the question. i ask people who won't protect my feelings and have a vested interest in how my breath smells.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

I don't understand, did you all ask those question before you got your tonsils out, which was the cure for you? I mean if you have a chronic case of halitosis, it means you pretty much suffer from bad breath 24/7. The only thing that can change is the bb level. Sometimes it's a little worse and offensive than other times. But you're never 100% bb free. When you ask someone to smell your breath, you cannot expect them to say "no I don't smell anything", becuase you suffer from it 24/7. All you can expect them to say is "No, it's not that bad compared to yesterday or a few weeks ago". It means they haven't really given you the honest and objective answer, unless you did not suffer from it chronically? :?
findacure
Master

Post by findacure »

update - 06/01/08

Well i was at my grans and i was watching tv in another, she came in and was exhaling heavily, she said "whats that smell?" As usual i couldnt smell anything so im assuming it my BB

Well im starting to doubt that i have been cured as the days go on, its heart breaking but i may have to come to terms with it.

Wow it can fill a small room, this is not good!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic