Your Email Address:

First Name:

Why do both Baking Soda and Vinegar work?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Help

Why do both Baking Soda and Vinegar work?

Post by Help »

Isn't one a base and the other an acid? How come they seem to both be used by ppl here for bb? Was never into chem. [-X so I would really appreciate it if someone can plz explain to me how these two could work? Thnx!

Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Yes, it confused me too... but I checked this book on anaerobic bacteria. For example, certain types of them multiply the best at pH 7.2-7.8, so going below (vinegar) or above (baking soda) that should limit them.

My dentist told me that people with an 'acidic' saliva rarely had bb but had lots of cavities. People with basic=alkaline saliva more often had bb but not so many cavities. So in that case the vinegar should work better.

I've tried both a few times (gargling), really comparing... and vinegar seems to work a bit better. The problem is that the body will straight away aim to correct anything acidic/alkaline, so the effect will never be more than a few minutes or something :-({|= ...I guess? I was never much into chemistry either :arrow: Can someone confirm..?
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Btw, a year ago or so I tried sucking Apple Cider Vinegar pills, so that the acidic effect would last longer. I stopped because I didn't wanna wreck my teeth... ...Not sure it worked that well either. Maybe worth trying again... 8)
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

yeah when i'm really struggling i drink sprite or coke to refresh my mouth. the acid knocks out a lot of the smell for a period of time.
Bloorain
Advanced

Post by Bloorain »

You know I think that was true for me at one time and I started drinking selzer water but it no longer helps me.
greenman
Advanced

Post by greenman »

if your talking about apple cider vinegar i believe it's alkaline. it improved my bb a bit i think, but more importantly it made me feel better and also improved digestion.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Your belief that it's alkaline is wrong, not that it matters, but anyway :-({|=

Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2
OneDay111
Sheriff

Post by OneDay111 »

Larc400 wrote:Your belief that it's alkaline is wrong, not that it matters, but anyway :-({|=

Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. The main ingredient of apple cider vinegar is acetic acid. As the name suggests, it's quite harsh. Apple cider vinegar should always be diluted with water or juice before swallowed.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2
OMG i thought baking soda will make your mouth Ph 11ish 8ish

I thought bacteria cant live in an alkaline environments.

Look like good bacteria live in acid environment. now i get the yogurt.

Wow confused lol.
greenman
Advanced

Post by greenman »

ok i googled it again to refresh my memory. i see from some sites saying it's too acidic, i see some sites saying it's a part of an alkaline acid diet, i see sites saying it helps balance the alkaline in the body, etc.... i don't wanna argue over these things so wether it's alkaline or not it helps us and thats all we need to know.
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

No, arguing would be tedious. It's good to clear up something which is confusing for many (including myself) though. pH and all these new age acidic-alkaline diets are confusing, for sure.

I'll state a few facts, just so we know what we're talking about :cry: Not because I'm some ****ing besserwisser :arrow:, just because I think this might help us in some way.

As I mentioned before, the bacteria we're trying to kill might like a pH around 7-8. So both acidic stuff (below 7) or alkaline might help us....

Examples of pH (from Physiology book, rough figures):

Acidic:
pH 1: Stomach acid
pH 2: Lemon juice,
pH 3: Vinegar
pH 4: Soda
pH 5: Coffee
pH 6-8: Saliva

Neutral:
pH 7: Distilled Water, Milk

Alkaline:
pH 7.4: Blood
pH 8: Sea Water
pH 9: Baking Soda
pH 11: Washing-up liquid

etc...
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

Larc400 wrote:No, arguing would be tedious. It's good to clear up something which is confusing for many (including myself) though. pH and all these new age acidic-alkaline diets are confusing, for sure.

I'll state a few facts, just so we know what we're talking about :cry: Not because I'm some ****ing besserwisser :arrow:, just because I think this might help us in some way.

As I mentioned before, the bacteria we're trying to kill might like a pH around 7-8. So both acidic stuff (below 7) or alkaline might help us....

Examples of pH (from Physiology book, rough figures):

Acidic:
pH 1: Stomach acid
pH 2: Lemon juice,
pH 3: Vinegar
pH 4: Soda
pH 5: Coffee
pH 6-8: Saliva

Neutral:
pH 7: Distilled Water, Milk

Alkaline:
pH 7.4: Blood
pH 8: Sea Water
pH 9: Baking Soda
pH 11: Washing-up liquid

etc...
Interesting. I read that lemon and lime juice were actually somehow converted to alkaline in the system. These were the only citrus that do that.

I'm far from a scientist though.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

The actual ph of food isnt important, what matters is the traces (of elements) it leaves after it's digested. For example, lemons are acidic in nature but it's once digested, it's of the most alkaline-forming food there is. It's the opposite for milk, it's neutral/alkaline but it leaves acid traces after digestion.

Most fruits and vegies are alkaline forming. Meat, dairies and grains are acid forming.
Help

Post by Help »

Thank you all for your responses, I def. have a better idea now =D>
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Archimonde wrote:The actual ph of food isnt important, what matters is the traces (of elements) it leaves after it's digested.
Is it not even important when it comes to bb from oral sources? I e if gargling diluted lemon juice, it's still acidic until proper digestion kicks in right? So it's relevant if we want to affect the environment of the oral bac instantly, even if it only works for a short time...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic