Your Email Address:

First Name:

Do insurance companies in the US cover tonsillectomys???

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
bleh
Junior

Do insurance companies in the US cover tonsillectomys???

Post by bleh »

na
Last edited by bleh on Mon May 04, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Yes, they should, and you need to do it while you're still covered!

When I discovered my BB last year and realized my tonsils were sitll producing tonsil stones, I desperately wanted them out. Unfortunatley, I had just fallen off my dad's insurance a month or two prior.

I've already been approved by the ENT who removed my little sister's tonsils, but without insurance or the money to pay uninsured, I'm not able to achieve this yet :(

It's amazing how much money hospitals can milk from you. With insurance, a tonsillectomy costs could cost about 100 dollars.. Maybe even less. Without insurance, it could cost you 5000 dollars... $5000!!

The ENT himself could remove tonsils without the hospitals involvement for about 300 - 500, but he's never removed tonsils in his own office and wouldn't feel comfortable doing so without the anestesia the hospital supplies.... So he says..

Luckily for me, I may have injured my knee in preparation for a race of sorts, and my dad's looking into possible insurance plans.. This might help get me the insurance I need for tonsillectomy removal!.. (My dad didn't take my tonsil complaints seriously last year.. but this knee injury may do the trick).

Anyway, take advantage of this insurance while it's available to you. Find out everything wrong with you and have it all taken care of now.
bleh
Junior

Post by bleh »

na
Last edited by bleh on Mon May 04, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike987
Super Angel

Post by mike987 »

Do you have an insurance card?

Your mom should have a card.. Here's what you can do.

First, do an internet search for your area, and ENT. It shouldn't take too long to find something. Once you've done that and know their location, give their office a call and set up an appointment.

Now find your mom's insurance card. She should have one somewhere. Probably in her wallet or purse. Just borrow it for the time being. If for some reason you can't get one, remember her detailed information just in case, and her insurance company.

Meet with the ENT and explain your problem. Focus on sore throats when you describe it, but go ahead and mention BB. If you have tonsil stones, definitely mention those. The ENT may agree to do a tonsillectomy.. In which case, you could probably set up a date right there. I don't think those insurance guidelines will be a problem.

With a doctor's permission, you can pull off anything. I'm sure it'd be covered. If for some reaosn it isn't, give the ENT office your insurance information anyway and go ahead with the surgery. You'll have gotten your tonsils out, even if the insurance company didn't cover it. Which means you might have to pull a fast one on your mom. But maybe it's something you can work out? She probably won't disown you. Even if you get in trouble, you should do it She's an adult parent. She'll figure something out, and you can always work and pay her back. Point is, you'll have gotten them out.

What about your dad? If you have a father, he probably carries an insurance card too.
bleh
Junior

Post by bleh »

lol easier said then done!! my mom is incredibly detail oriented and she will find out almost immediately. i really want this surgery done (with all the success that I've heard of so far...) but i'm still in college and don't have a real job/my own insurance yet (or the money if insurance doesn't cover it). the worst part of all is that my mom is stubborn as hell and if she doesn't feel it's necessary or will even hear me out...the tonsillectomy will be a no go until i graduate and get a job (which will be harder with my bb!!!)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic