Your Email Address:

First Name:

We cant smell eachother?

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
nelly

Post by nelly »

I have been thinking about that. I could smell myself from the beginning, but I dont think it was as bad as usual. Then after a while we started some serious drinking, and I normally dont care then. When we blowed at each other, I think I focused on his breath. I cant remember I thought about my own breath then.( which is strange when im so close up to somebody). It was a little funny that part, there was no smell around us, normally if so close to someone, my breath gets through at least. Maybe we neutralized each others breath?

j0n1982
Junior

Re: We cant smell eachother?

Post by j0n1982 »

Orodor wrote:Hello everyone!

Me and another person from this forum met here in Oslo this week end. This was our first live meeting, after having exchanged a lot of emails some months........ But to make a long story short we found out that we can not smell eachothers BB. And before anyone jump “are you sure you have BB”…. We have both lived with this problem for many years, so it is not that at all. The question is… Can we not smell eachother, and can it be that this applies to some other people as well? I have noticed that some people react to my BB different than others. But not that it could not be smelled. That has never been in my mind at all.

Does anyone have experience with this? Hope to hear more tales on this issue.

OR
OR

For some strange reason what you have experieced is especially TRUE. I have made a similar topic a few months ago. Me and JC met up we couldn't for the love of God smell H! I wonder why? But I am going to back you on this. My good friend JC can vouch about this story as well.

PS: I met with JC again last week (he helped me with a job) and it still wasthesame story. We are UNABLE to smell each others' mouth stink. What was funny was that someone else did while I was on my way home.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

:-k
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mico
Junior

Post by Mico »

I can smell 2 different fecal smells efortlesly. I smelled them very often without problems. One is imo a tmau fecal smell, the other cabagge fecal(dimethylsulfide?).

Guys, are we really going over the same thing over and over?
Orodor

Post by Orodor »

I believe this topic is very important. When you look at all the "I cant live with this", "please help", "I have no social life" posts on this site, and other sites, I can imagine this is a form of relief.

At least it is for me. This means there are people out there whom I can live an ordinary life around, without trying to hide or excuse. Not that I hide so much now, but I am sure you know what I mean.

I cant at least battle for the rest of my life. Im too tired and worn. Ive been there and done that so many times, that a glimpse of sanity and normality is good. If we cant battle it with science we can at least adapt into a more normal situation.

At least we could do both? I am flexible in travelling and meeting people. At least within reason. When I met with Nelly it was a huge relief in so many ways. I cant even put it in words.
Orodor

Re: We cant smell eachother?

Post by Orodor »

j0n1982 wrote:
Orodor wrote: For some strange reason what you have experieced is especially TRUE. I have made a similar topic a few months ago. Me and JC met up we couldn't for the love of God smell H! I wonder why? But I am going to back you on this. My good friend JC can vouch about this story as well.

PS: I met with JC again last week (he helped me with a job) and it still wasthesame story. We are UNABLE to smell each others' mouth stink. What was funny was that someone else did while I was on my way home.
Thank you for your story! This is inspiration for at least me, and further confirmation that we can adapt into living with this.
Scientist42
Advanced

Post by Scientist42 »

Orodor, I am so glad you met with Nelly and JC and experienced the same excitement and relief that I have experienced many times in our UK Group Meetups.

Yes indeed, our illness is not the end of the world. many of us on these sites have exactly the same odour and so it is unlikely that we will be able to smell each other. The people who can smell others are producing a different smell to others.

Even if we are not able to control our odour then we could at least have a relatively normal life if we have got a partner and friends with the same condition. A partner can make or break our lifes. There is one thing better than having a sympathetic partner, and that is having a partner who can't smell us!!

I believe annual Group Meet-ups are the way forward even if we are not looking for a partner. These meetups can provide friendship, advice, empathy, team spirit and prevent loneliness and the feeling that you are suffering this nightmare all alone. This is why it is important for us to have some kind of Blog or Personal Profile on these sites. This will also help scientific research to progress.

We should also try to participate in chats so that we start to gel and bond as a Group. For instance, there is a typing Chat on this site at 3pm EST on Sunday 13th April. Let us have some fun guys!
Arun
Scientist42
Advanced

Post by Scientist42 »

Iris, yes we can only smell others if their smell is very different to us. I believe this is the only time we can smell others.

In theory, if 2 people had the same smell and one of them only had it very weak and the other had it extremely strong then there is a slight chance the one with the weak smell can smell the person with the stronger smell.

But, usually this is not the case. Usually when we smell others then it is because they are producing a DIFFERENT odour to us.

I think the guy with the strong body odour had a different smell to you. I think his friend either could not smell him or was being polite, it is hard to know for sure.
Arun
Orodor

Post by Orodor »

Scientist42,

Thank you so much for your imput. It becomes more clear for me that group meetings and finding friends/partner with the same problem, might be the right adaption into living a normal life with this illness. As far as I can read your post you have the same conclusion?

You mention a yearly meeting. As far as I understand is this in London? Is there other places that have such meetings? I could easily organise one in Scandinavia, and Im sure Nelly would help me with it?

Is there one in the USA? Could it be that we could get a sticky post in here with meeting dates and places around the world?

OR
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

i don't get it. i can always smell other people's bb (no matter the type). if anyone is in michigan and wants to know the truth, contact me for a meetup and i'll tell you!
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

It`s for real. I used to have doubts about it too but my perspective changed after meeting up with jon. I also find it odd since I`ve also smelled mild bb & body odor from strangers & even one of my doctors.
Scientist42
Advanced

Post by Scientist42 »

Orodor, until we find a 100% solution from this problem, then yes, Group meetings are definitely the way forward. But don't imagine that it is only people with faecal breath who usually can not smell you.

Some people (like me) have faecal breath AND faecal body odour, and I will most likely not be able to smell you and you won't be able to smell me. So, you are not just confined to making friends from the Breath sites. There are message board sites where you will find these people:-

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=326

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=441

http://groups.msn.com/BodyOdorSupport/general.msnw

Also, did you guys know that there are people out there who don't smell yet still can't smell you? They suffer from Anosmia which is an inability to smell things. See the following link:-

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/an ... roup&slk=1

Orodor, I used to organize Group meetings in London every 3 months but I became very busy in my work and the meetings stopped because nobody else was prepared to continue with organizing these meetings.

I have heard of the occasional meetup in America, somewhere on the East Coast, but this is very small and never advertised!

I think it would be great if you could organize a summer Meetup in Scandinavia. I plan to organize a summer Meetup in London too. I think such meetups should advertise well in advance (eg 2-3 months) because it takes a while for the numbers of interested people to rise.

I think it would be great if we get a sticky post in here with meeting dates and places around the world? Perhaps we can discuss these things first in our Sunday chats eg Sunday 13th 3pm EST (8pm UK time) on this site.
Arun
Scientist42
Advanced

Post by Scientist42 »

Sweets07, JC,
I suspect the reason why you have been able to smell others is because they had a different kind of odour problem to you. There are many causes to breath and body odour, some are local, some are systemic (internal).
Alternatively, they might have had a much stronger problem than yours.

We have 20 UK members having breath odour or body odour or both. I have met them all and could not smell any of them. Only 3 (about 15% of them) could smell other members of the Group. Most of us can not smell ourselves. There are some members who claimed to be able to smell themselves strongly but yet could not smell other members!
Arun
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

Only 3 (about 15% of them) could smell other members of the Group.
Could those 3 only smell eachother or could they smell someone outside of their three?
jc
Sheriff

Post by jc »

Scientist42 wrote:Sweets07, JC,
I suspect the reason why you have been able to smell others is because they had a different kind of odour problem to you. There are many causes to breath and body odour, some are local, some are systemic (internal).
Alternatively, they might have had a much stronger problem than yours.

We have 20 UK members having breath odour or body odour or both. I have met them all and could not smell any of them. Only 3 (about 15% of them) could smell other members of the Group. Most of us can not smell ourselves. There are some members who claimed to be able to smell themselves strongly but yet could not smell other members!
Arun
Yeah, I also can smell mild odor from strangers but not with jon.
There are also some people I know & even strangers that are immune to my bb. Unfortunately, these people who can`t smell me are just a handful.
I`ve read that there are some doctors invited in your meet-ups. What do they say about these phenomenon?

Jun
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic