Your Email Address:

First Name:

Self esteem/living with BB

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
Snobuni
Sheriff

Self esteem/living with BB

Post by Snobuni »

I was wondering how other people feel about themselves. I find it very hard to feel good about myself because of bb. It doesn't matter how good you look physically or if you're a lovely person, bb seems to over-rule everything else in your life.

Does anybody else feel this way too? Are there people who have bb but still manage to feel good about themselves? If there are, how do you do it?
Do you basically have to not care about what other people think of you? I don't think I could ever manage not to be bothered by other people's comments.

After trying every suggestion and product that's supposed to help, I'm now resigned to the fact that all I can do is try to manage this condition and learn to live with it, but it's hard to think that there's nothing I can do, it makes me feel so helpless... :cry:

sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

interesting post. i have a lot of issues aside from bb.... i go out a lot and have a lot of friends, but when all that is gone and i'm by myself some nights i realize how much i don't like myself and how people never get to know the real me because i have to work so hard to hide my breath and many other problems....

but something inside of me is still happy, proud and confident. i don't know what it is... i'm grateful for life and family and friends. i have bb but i'm still fortunate. i'm still loved.
sweets07
Advanced

Post by sweets07 »

and yes the reactions i perceive or assume people are having to my breath are horrifying.

it is painful and humiliating. it's this look that people have in their eyes and they become really really still. i alway wonder what they are thinking.

sometimes i wonder what it would be like to have good breath ALL the time. i don't know what that is like. i look at my friends that have good breath and i remember they have other problems some just as bad a having the handicap we all here deal with on a daily basis.
bleh
Junior

Post by bleh »

BB is the WORST self esteem killer. You could be the most talented person in the world BUT bb is what keeps someone from getting up the nerve to showcase those talents. I personally always considered myself to have low self esteem b/c I've lived with bb my entire life. The sad part of myself is that I try to overcompensate for my handicap by telling myself that I'm great at this, or I'm better than someone b/c of that, simply b/c if i didn't I would most definitely have nothing to boost myself up with. BB also makes you appear to people as "bitchy," "trite," "rude," "arrogant," etc because you don't want to talk too much because of the fear of people running away as soon as they smell your breath. It's such a ****ing sad situation. If I'm nice, I will be known as the nice girl who "smells," or "has stinky breath and bad hygiene." If I don't talk and I seem distant and unfriendly, i'm assumed to be a "bitch," or "cold."

The whole situation just ruins a persons self esteem. Mainly because I'm so caught up in every action of the person in reference to my bb, that a facial expression can affect how I feel like someone feels about me. So if they give me a funny look if I say something stupid, I feel like they don't like me, on top of having bb. So not only am i sensitive to peoples reactions due to my bb, but also every action that makes them appear to not like my personality as well.
Busted
God

Post by Busted »

If you have fresh breath all the time you won't even worry about it one second. I mean the thought of having bb wouldn't stop them from talkin. Besides if you have a normal mouth, even if you have a little morning breath, you can easily get rid of it by brushing or chewing some gum.

I'm pretty sure that none of us ever thought of bb, until one day someone told you about it. That's the moment where it all started. Everytime someone sits next to you, you hope he/she won't speak to u. Otherwise you'll have to say somethin back.

That's also when you slowly start to notice some bad reactions to your bb. Even those reactions who have nothin to do with your bb, you think it has something to do with it. That's when you have gone crazy. You'll start brushing even more and rinsing with mouthwashes. Nothin works and you become even more frustrated.

Next step is you go to the internet to find some possible cures. You find a lot of crap that at first you think it might work, but when you have found it doesn't, you become even more frustrated.

You'll probably find this forum too and read all the stories about how nothin works. Then you know you are probably screwed for the rest of your life. The only thing you can do then is go to this forum is post some stuff about how you are feeling and what happened on a specific day.

You want to tell someone close to you about this problem. Even when you have, they won't even understand one bit about how you are feeling. They'll probably say you don't have bb too to try to give you a confidence boost. It may work, but then you look at the reactions again.

Ok, let's just assume for a moment that the reactions have nothing to do with your bb and just act normal. And BANG there's someone offering you some mint or gum. Of you're even more unlucky, you'll even hear somethin saying you have bb directly or indirectly.

That's when life pwns you again...
perrymason
Advanced

Post by perrymason »

Damn Busted, you hit it right on the spot.

That sums my story up ^
Humble
Total Newbie

Self Esteem and BB

Post by Humble »

I can identify with what you have said. I have been told that I am an attractive woman. Even at age 39, I am told that I look like I am in my late 20's. Meeting people, especially men, has been a heartbreaking experience for me. I have had difficulty meeting them because of the BB and my low self esteem. I can't even stand close to people or look them in the eye when I talk to them. I anticipate the negative series of events that will follow. It is much easier to isolate and not deal with many people. When I go to social events of friends and family, I am often asked "Where have you been?", "I don't see you around anymore?", "So....when will you be tying the knot?". G-d help me. It is comforting to know that there is a forum where you can read about other people's experiences.
thanatos
God
Post by thanatos »

:-k
Last edited by thanatos on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
chomp

Post by chomp »

My breath is soooo bad that people can smell me from several feet away but still I have lots of friends. They rub their nose, cough and some even make a sniffling sound sometimes but they don't seem to care. Besides, I have even told a lot of them that I have digestive problems and some of them even try to help me by giving ideas on what I should do. When I visit any of them at their homes and they offer me coffee, tea or any dairy stuff I usually don't want to accept it. I tell them that I stink even more if I consume any of this but they won't let me leave without it. I sometimes even brush my teeth in their homes after eating or drinking any dairy stuff.

Before I started talking to anyone about my breath I used to feel very depressed too when they would give any nose rubs. But after I started talking to them openly about it, I feel much better and they all know that I am not a lazy person who does not brush her teeth. Most of my friends are doctors too so I guess it helps.

Try talking to others about your problem and it makes a huge difference.
unhappyindc
Total Newbie

Post by unhappyindc »

can you please ask your friends why they rub their nose? is it b/c the smell is that bad or b/c its a little offensive. if they know when you speak ur breath smells why not prepare. i think my bf holds his breath everytime we kiss. i try to peck him on the lips quickly; however, he acts as if my breath doen't stink.

i've had people back up, hold their nose, and one day i was riding the greyhound and this guy pulls out his bag of oils and began to rub it underneath his nose. omg, i could have died.

Most of my friends are doctors too so I guess it helps.

Try talking to others about your problem and it makes a huge difference.[/quote]
Bloorain
Advanced

Post by Bloorain »

Your friends are doctors? Have they offered up any ideas?
sunshine
Total Newbie

Post by sunshine »

I wish I could talk to people about my BB. I feel they won't understand. I would love to tell my close friends and family I have a problem. I don't know what to say exactly.
daveparker
Advanced

Post by daveparker »

Zero self esteem, zero confidence, social anxiety disorder and chronic depression.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic