Your Email Address:

First Name:

Bismuth manages my bb

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
searching
Master
Bismuth manages my bb

Post by searching »

Bismuth subsalicylate, sold in the United States as Pepto-Bismol™ chewable tables, provides me with relatively long-lasting bb relief. It doesn’t cure the condition – instead it very effectively and inexpensively lets me manage it.

Using this product has helped me to better understand the route to effective bb management, and perhaps, provides a useful piece of information that qualifies, or disqualifies, other advertised remedies.

Pepto-Bismol™ is composed of bismuth subsalicylate. It is sold to relieve upset stomachs and ease diarrhea by decreasing harmful microorganisms in the digestive tract. The tablets are composed of thousands of extremely-fine, solid particles pressed into a chewable tablet. The bismuth used in this product has several key qualities essential for bb relief.

1. Bismuth is antimicrobial. It kills, or decreases the growth rate of microorganisms.
2. Bismuth is not water soluble. It will not readily rinse away; therefore, bismuth’s residence time in your mouth can last for hours, unlike most antimicrobial agents found in common mouthwashes that may rinse away and be swallowed within minutes, thus quickly ending their effect.
3. The bismuth subsalicylate particles are finely ground and thus the particles are numerous within a single tablet. Therefore, if one completely chews a tablet and distributes the chewed powder fully to all surfaces of the mouth, especially working it deep into the tongue, before swallowing the excess - one has “painted” the mouth with a pleasant tasting, water insoluble, antimicrobial agent, that will linger and actively work for hours, and perhaps all day.

I invite you to try this test. At night, just before bed, perform your normal, oral hygiene routine. When you are finished, thoroughly chew a single Pepto-Bismol tablet and distribute the material throughout your mouth for about one minute. Work the chewed powder deep into your tongue. Swallow the excess. DO NOT RINSE with water or mouthwash. Your tongue will take on a pink painted appearance. Next morning when you awake, observe the quality of your breath and look at the color of your tongue. Has your breath improved versus its normal condition? Is your tongue colored black? The black color is temporary and harmless. It is due to the volatile sulfur compounds, produced by bb bacteria, reacting with bismuth to become odorless, black, bismuth sulfide. This is evidence that the sulfur, typically generated in our mouths, has been sorbed and captured by the bismuth subsalicylate. It is easily brushed away by gently using a TUNG brush or toothbrush.

In the past I have used these tablets with good success; however, I would briefly chew one and then quickly swallow it. Lately I have been much more deliberate in working the chewed material deep within my tongue. This has dramatically decreased the bb and it has enabled the effectiveness to last many hours, due to the prolonged residence time of the powder within my mouth.

I do not sell or manufacture this product. I have no connection to the business in any way. I have, however, used this product for years with no apparent side effect. I am not a physician.
Last edited by searching on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

tdonline

Post by tdonline »

Searching, do you suffer from acid reflux?
Larc400
God

Post by Larc400 »

Hi!

I remember you mentioned this in an earlier post:
viewtopic.php?p=9775&highlight=#9775

...and I ordered Pepto from the States. I never really tried it properly though for long enough to decide if it was working. I will now though ... thanks for reminding me.
elliott
God

Post by elliott »

I had to stop doing this because the pink/black colored mouth moments don't go over well at work, especially already having BB!

From what I remember, the difference was that after I awoke and took that very deep inhale/exhale, the normal shit/musty air from the stomach was indeed lessened to gone. I don't recall any indications that my breath was any worse or better, I wasn't very consistent, and I certainly did not thoroughly break the tablet down in my mouth... to prevent the coloring. I pretty much wanted to get the tablet down in the stomach as fast as possible, and I brush my tongue immediately.

The blackening isn't much different to what happens when you use corn/callous remover. Salicyc acid (sp) is used in these products as well.

Also to note, PB usually has a generic counterpart in most drug stores that is much cheaper. Same product. Is there any reason you prefer the tablet over the liquid?
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Hi how does this work?

Searching can you tell me if after taking the pepto bismal if you feel comfortable talking to people.

Any reactions from people (like nose scratch, coughing suddenly when you talk) since taking the pepto bismal. I might try this since I have developed acid reflux recently.

D
searching
Master
Post by searching »

tdonline:
Searching, do you suffer from acid reflux?
I don't think that I have acid reflux. No irritation.

elliott:
Is there any reason you prefer the tablet over the liquid?
I prefer the tablet over the liquid since it is a more-concentrated form.

The extent of bismuth sulfide (blackened overnight deposit) has decreased over time. What remains is easily removed.

Drastic:
Using this tablet has been sufficiently effective that it has decreased my self-consciousness. The negative reactions from others are less frequent.
Hal_1t0515

Post by Hal_1t0515 »

Thanks, searching. I never heard of bismuth subsalicylate for bb before. I'm going to try it tonight. My problem is that unpleasant smelling mucus collects in the lower throat area. I can rarely cough it up or swallow it. I need something I can swallow that will be anti-microbial and odor absorbing. This is worth a try. I just hope this stuff isn't too toxic over time.

Hal

Update: Doesn't seem to be working for me. Actually seems worse after a couple of days. No black tongue though. I think my bb originates in my lower throat or esophagus.
DRASTIC
Sheriff

Post by DRASTIC »

Any updates, Searching???????
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Drastic,

In the past I was using the bismuth to sorb VSC's.

In mid-October '08 I stopped using bismuth subsalicylate. It became unnecessary after going on, and staying on, a low carbohydrate diet.

My chronic BB has abated and ordinary teeth and tongue brushing, with over-the-counter toothpaste (sometimes brushing with salt and baking soda), and once-daily flossing gives good results.

So far, for me, the key seems to be limited intake of carbohydrate.

Today I momentarily departed from my low-carb diet and I ate a large pizza. No BB. I don't make it a habit though. I'm not providing the steady diet that my BB colonies used to thrive on. I deny the microorganisms an energy source and the population seems to be manageably low.
viva
Advanced

Post by viva »

Agree,low carb diet is effective to manage bb.
I.m talking about bb due to acid reflux (it's sour and fermented.couse acid goes up to the throat and mouth)

I too stayed away from carbs and my breath improved, but after starting eating carbs back it got worse and my stomach issues are back)
Anyway low card diet is a good thing,even for who doesn't have GERD.
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Hi Viva, that's good news.
viva wrote:but after starting eating carbs back it got worse
what food did you have exactly?
iva
Master

Post by iva »

viva wrote:I.m talking about bb due to acid reflux (it's sour and fermented.couse acid goes up to the throat and mouth)
Viva

how do u know ur bb is due to GERD? Do u take any medications or is there a certain routine that u follow? Have u ever managed to reduce or eliminate ur bb?
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

this is interesting, I also suffer from acid reflux, but oral antacids like zantac I swear made my breath worse. It's funny, yesterday I took pepto for a hang over but didn't notice anything happening in the mouth. If this was the answer, that would be so cool! biok is so daMM exepensive.
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

P.S mY toungue is black today lol!
Snobuni
Sheriff

Post by Snobuni »

Hey Snoopsister,

It took a couple of days of me taking the pepto-bismol (about 6-8 tablets a day, 2 after brushing my teeth at night) before I noticed the bad taste and bb had improved. Give it time and see what happens (apart from the black tongue!!) :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic