Your Email Address:

First Name:

Chronic BB Gone - 1 month thus far

Everything related with bad breath can be found here. Everything about products, research, news about bad breath......
searching
Master
Chronic BB Gone - 1 month thus far

Post by searching »

My chronic BB, for the last month, is essentially gone. I credit the change to what I’ve been eating. Prior to now, I’ve struggled with BB for decades and managed the problem with topical fixes.

For the last four weeks I’ve been disciplined in trying to lose 20 lbs, which is about 10% of my body mass.

My diet lately is essentially no, or low, carbohydrates. The effect this has had on my BB is surprising to me. I thought protein was the offending food stuff. I was wrong. For me the offender appears to be carbohydrates.

Lately, for breakfast I eat two (2) hard-boiled eggs. Throughout the day I drink sweetened coffee, with table sugar (sucrose) and artificial creamer (i.e. Coffee Mate). For dinner I eat two (2) portions of protein, i.e. ground beef (no bun) or fish (no breading) and one or two portions of cooked green vegetables with butter or oil.

I have lost 15 lbs. of excess weight thus far, and I have coincidentally noticed:
o Tooth brushing with ordinary toothpaste provides good results.
o My mouth feels much fresher.
o Sticky, sweaty hands are no longer a problem.
o Flatulence is gone (sorry for the graphic description).
o I have psoriasis of the scalp and the symptoms of redness, inflammation and flaking (dandruff) are >90% gone with no topical medication.
o My automobile interior seems fresher (it formerly took on a stale odor, perhaps from the operator).
o My sense of smell is clearer
o Complexion is clearer

I’ve read in many posts that BB became a problem in the teenage years. Could it be that a fully-grown body, no longer needs the large caloric intake that a child’s diet provides? Perhaps the continued intake of excess sugar and starch provides opportunistic yeast or bacteria to thrive thus producing excess off-gas.

Check any growth medium for microorganisms and you will see that the major fraction of the feed, e.g. >50% is a carbon source, typically glucose or sucrose. By limiting the excess carbon source it seems to have limited the microorganism over-growth.

My weight-loss diet cannot be maintained forever, too much cholesterol. Nevertheless, limiting the simple and complex carbohydrates appears to have helped dramatically.

Knowledge is power. If excess carbohydrate intake is the cause of my BB, due to my unique body metabolism, then knowing the source gives me control by adjusting my diet.

My routine is:
I brush teeth and tongue twice daily
I floss once daily
I do not use mouthwash
I do not take supplements, i.e. vitamin tables, enzymes, other, of any kind
Last edited by searching on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

TeamZissou
Advanced

Post by TeamZissou »

Congrats on the success. Glad something's working for you.

It doesn't seem like you consume many calories at all though. Will that diet be sustainable if you reach a desired weight? Or is it sustainable for someone who isn't overweight?
searching
Master
Post by searching »

It doesn't seem like you consume many calories at all though. Will that diet be sustainable if you reach a desired weight? Or is it sustainable for someone who isn't overweight?
I'm slowly adding additional calories as I near my target body weight.

I'm pleased to see that the result extends beyond the decrease in BB. My skin and scalp health have improved.

Overall it seems that my body is no longer struggling to pump the excess, offensive waste out of my system through my breath and skin.

BTW: I have my tonsils; however, at this time I'm no longer producing tonsil stones.
Last edited by searching on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
deebas
Advanced

Post by deebas »

this sounds familiar to a mild yeast free diet..

i did a much stricter form of this diet for 2 months and had no significant reduction in BB unfortunately although i dont doubt that simple carbohydrates such as white flour and alcohol contribute to really bad bouts of BB.

but if its workin for you, then congratulations
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

Searching,

I always thought one of the possible culprit for bb were GRAINS (wheat, corn, bread, pasta, flour, etc) which are loaded with carbs and found in almost every food products sold in supermarkets.

From an evolutionary perspective, grains weren't a part of humans' natural diet. Grains were added only 10 000 years ago when agriculture was invented. Before that, for 5 million years, humans as we know them ate mostly just meat and some fruit and veggies. 10 000 years isn't long enough to have adapted, it takes 100 000+ years for species to adapt. It's possible some of us just aren't meant to eat grains and develop heath problems if we do.

Just look at cows in industrial dairy farms, free-ranged cows normally eat grass but when forced to eat nothing but grains, they develop serious problems and are put on antibiotics so the milk isn't spoiled by pus and whatnot. Same thing happens to pigs i believe, whose DNA is the closest to humans, like 99.7% identical, they get sick on grains.

Now that doesn't explain why i get shit breath when i eat meat, but still, it might be somehow related to grains because animals we eat are fed nothing but grains.
snoopsister
Sheriff

Post by snoopsister »

yeah arch but billions of people eat grains and do not suffer like us
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

Quote from Wikipedia...

"Bad breath may also be persistent (chronic bad breath), which is a more serious condition, affecting some 25% of the population in varying degrees."
searching
Master
Post by searching »

As background I should note here that I do not have diabetes. It runs in my family; however, I test negative for the disease.

I mention diabetes to illustrate how some people have metabolisms that have difficulty regulating normal levels of blood sugar.

I wonder if people with chronic BB have metabolisms that also have difficulty in regulating the proper level of blood sugar. This disorder may not meet the threshold that those with diabetes cope with; however, perhaps we have frequent periods of abnormally-high, blood-sugar concentrations that support an excess of microorganisms, over and above what normal metabolisms support.

For decades I consumed large, daily amounts of sugar and starch, yet I remained very thin. How were those calories used? They were not stored as excess body weight. I had chronic BB. Was I hosting a large population of parasitic, or symbiotic, bacteria that helped me to use those calories? I'm not sure.

A low carbohydrate diet continues to work well for me in decreasing BB. I will soon reintroduce excess carbohydrates into my diet to observe the effect on the continued absence, or recurrence, of BB.
coeric
Junior

Post by coeric »

this is interesting, i may try it. it will be a big change but i can live without bread. what about rice? im not too familair with what's in our food, can we somehow compile a list of what we can and cant eat?
coeric
Junior

Post by coeric »

i just did a quick search on a few popular foods. no wheat, rice, or patato is allowed :|

if this theory confirms anything, i know at least that my life's diet has been carb overdose. those are the 3 main foods that i eat. if i cut those out would i even have any energy?
Archimonde
Super Angel

Post by Archimonde »

snoopsister wrote:yeah arch but billions of people eat grains and do not suffer like us
That's not a good argument. That's like saying billions of people have smoked and didn't die of lung cancer, therefore smoking cannot cause death in some people.

or billions of people eat peanut butter, therefore peanuts cannot kill. (when peanuts have killed thousands of people).

My breath worsens when i eat grains, Searching claims to be cured from a no-grain diet. Just because your neighboor doesn't get BB from eating grains doesn't mean that applies to us. All in all, i'm not saying for sure grains are THE CAUSE of BB, but it's a possbility worth exploring.
halitosisux

Post by halitosisux »

I agree with you there Archimonde. That's why i pasted the Wikipedia quote further back.

The fact is, although halitosis can be considered bacterially related for most of us, there's many different possible reasons why something which is naturally present in our mouthes could cause some of us to smell more than others.

If someone happens to have a specific food intollerance, it can have very far reaching effects anywhere in the body - one of which could well be halitosis. The bacterial activity in the mouth can be influenced in so many different ways.

Searching, well done for making this discovery for yourself.
I've learnt so much since joining this site, and this is something im definitely making a note of.
coeric
Junior

Post by coeric »

searching and archimonde, what are you guys eating/doing for the lack of energy? cutting back on all these carbs, we have to find energy somewhere else right.
searching
Master
Post by searching »

Coeric,

I'm still losing weight by burning my excess reserves, so I haven't yet stabilized my diet. So far I have no shortage of energy. When I reach my target weight, I'll gradually add complex carbohydrates in moderate, (sufficient) amounts to maintain energy.

Looking ahead, my hope is that carbohydrates, if not eaten excessively, will keep the microorganisms at a manageably-low level.
FBseeker

Post by FBseeker »

hello searching,

You said that you drink coffee sweetened with sucrose throughout the day. That is a lot of simple carbohydrates. So it's not the low carbohydrates that is doing it for you. It must be something else.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic